Just to show it can be done.

This is a discussion on Just to show it can be done. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I used to carry without one in the chamber, I did a lot of training to suit defensive situations, one of those was racking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Just to show it can be done.

Just to show it can be done.

When I used to carry without one in the chamber, I did a lot of training to suit defensive situations, one of those was racking the slide and chambering a round one handed.

Some think it can't be done without using some sort of object (belt, etc) , so I made a little video slowed down for demonstration purposes. I doubt it can be done with smaller guns, but it works with my primary weapon, XDM Compact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfnC...e_gdata_player

Update:
    Here's one showing both strong and weak side using my XDM and PM9

http://www.youtube.com/user/LightArt.../0/5vLWP3-JhsA
    Last edited by Thunder71; September 16th, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
    dukalmighty likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Only problem is in the amount of time you did that, someone else could have pulled the trigger about 5 times, or stabbed you a few more. A carry gun should be carried ready to fire, period. Anything less is either not having confidence in your ability to carry it correctly, lack of confidence in the platform, or just being non committed.

If you carry a firearm for self defense, it should be ready to fire, that is the only correct way of doing it. Anything else is foolish.

And chambering live rounds in the house is probably not the right place to be doing that, especially if one is worried about carrying a live round in the chamber.
    I take it that now you do carry with one in the pipe?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Since I wrote "used to carry unchambered" I thought that was obvious, also I'd like to know where you load your gun.

Second, I said I slowed it down for demonstration purposes and my fingers were never near the trigger, I don't even think it would be possible with this method. No more dangerous than racking it normally. Even so, it was pointed in a safe direction, all safety rules were adheared to. :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

No need to be defensive. I am not personally attacking you.

But I do not load my weapons in the home. If I load or unload for purposes such as cleaning, I take them outside and point them into the ground.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Just didn't seem like you read my post so I made it more clear. :) I don't think loading my gun outside the house would be a wise move where I live, but if you can get away with it it's a good idea.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i load in the house.
    and i unload in the house

after 45 years i think that is a self explanatory safety record.

there are also 3 other methods of loading one handed without touching anything but the gun.
    all have the down side of taking extra time and not being 100% reliable

to each their own. my feeling is, if you are going to carry it is something that necessitates exploring
    all possibilities and methods of doing things. cause not always will any situation mirror another.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I carry in my house loaded with one in the chamber. I load and unload in my house, and outside my house......Thats how I roll.. If I was playing around for a youtube video however and was going through chambering rounds I would use snap caps..

I consider any skill related to your weapons and their idiosyncrasies as beneficial.
    RETSUPT99, Pistology and phreddy like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I think it's a great scenario,not so much as far as carrying unchambered,but if you are injured and can't reload and chamber a round with 2 hands due to broken fingers/wrist/arm,or your shot in the arm.I think it's something I can practice since my right hand is already partially paralyzed,I reload so I can make up some dummy rounds in each caliber I shoot,in all reality this might even make me rethink my carry gun depending on which firearm I can manipulate the best.
    Thanks Thunder
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad you found it helpful, I hope it is useful in some way, shape or form. The key is to get a nice wide grip to get the fullest rack possible, it also makes it easier and faster. With practice this can be done rather quickly, and even done as part of the draw.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

After reading the logic posted by other members, I can see the benefit of this skill. It could certainly be useful.
    Maybe I was wro..., wron...., ah hell, you know what I mean.:D

Yeah, it's OK man.... You don't have to say it.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I also figured out how to do this a while back, and agree that it doesn't hurt to be familiar with it. My only beef with your video is that when you are performing the rack the gun is damn near all the way out of the frame!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

JD
    Administrator
    Nice counter-tops.

This is certainly a method I have not seen before. I'm not even sure if I can do that with any of my guns. I'll have to try it when I get home later.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links