Some Videos That Might Be of Interest

This is a discussion on Some Videos That Might Be of Interest within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gomez on YouTube I started posting these a month or so ago. Right now, they cover Drawstroke, Ready Positions, Stoppage Reductions, Clearing Cover Garments, One ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Some Videos That Might Be of Interest

August 19, 1970 - June 2012

Some Videos That Might Be of Interest

Gomez on YouTube

I started posting these a month or so ago. Right now, they cover Drawstroke, Ready Positions, Stoppage Reductions, Clearing Cover Garments, One Hand Gun Work and some other related topics. I hope you guys find them of interest.

2. Remove Ads

I watched a couple of them, From what I saw you have good info to give to the gun community...Thanks for sharing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I watched all of them, and I really liked them and learned from them.

Thanks for sharing, and please, keep them coming. If I lived in LA, I'd take your classes, for sure!

JD
    Administrator
    I've been watching these on Ellifritz's page. Good stuff.

Good information in your videos. Thanks for posting.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I like the Universal Gun Handling Rules Redux.

1. We treat all guns as though they are loaded. In contrast to 'all guns are always loaded'. What does this mean. Too often someone clears a gun and then gets silly with it, thinking 'oh this is fun, I have an unloaded gun I can be an arse/joker'. They'll point at their friends and pull the trigger. Why do guys do this? It's macho, I guess. BUT if the rule is always treat all guns as though they are loaded, we'd NEVER "play around" with a gun (else it'd break that rule and all gun users obey the four rules).

2. Rule two is reanalyzed and it's excellent. It's got the important elements. Precision, specificity, accuracy, and clarity. Any instruction any breakdown of a skill has to have those elements at least. (I've borrowed them from laboratory testing or scientific method).

3. Rule three touches on the 'don't do stupid things with a gun because you think it's unloaded' principle. We are NOT smart enough to have rules for loaded AND unloaded guns. With his version of Rule 3 you won't be shooting yourself in the hand or the leg (well not as often, lol.)

4. Rule four on awareness of your back splash or surround, he tells you not just the rule but how to accomplish it (you angulate).

Great vid.

Thanks, guys. YouTube has been flaky for a few days but they seem to have finished their upgrades as I was able to get two more uploaded.

The latest video is on the Importance of Maintaining the Full Firing Grip on the pistol. My take on this is a little different than most.

Nice stuff!!
    I like your 'detailed' and 'out of the box' approach. A good example of this is your "Pistol Ready Positions" video.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Sponsor
    Hey Paul,

How's everything in your world, haven't been around here much in the last year. Good to see you still in the arena.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Good Stuff. That draw stroke is very similar to the one I learned and practice from Kelly McCanns method. Do you do classes anywhere near south KY? If so I'd be interested in attending one. I'm always eager to learn different techniques. Never know too much!!!

Hi Paul -

I've watched several of these already and, as a basically untrained CC'er, I most appreciate the clear, concise, to-the-issue demonstrations you present.

I carry AIWB, and while I understand the process of proper SS drawstroke and clearing cover garments, I think it'd be a big mistake for me to try to figure out how to integrate these for AIWB carry.

Specifically, at what point should the muzzle be rotated up and forward: immediately after clearing the holster, just before contact with support hand, just after?
    And at what point should a thumb safety be released?

Thanks.

regards,
    Terry
    NRA Life Member

I will never intentionally shoot your sacred cow

Bob,

Thanks. I know my approach is a bit different than a lot of guys and my presentation can be wordy but I am a firm believer in having students who truly understand the 'whys' & not just the 'hows' of a technique. I know a whole bunch of folks who give lip service to this idea but don't, or can't, ever go beyond 'do it this way because it makes sense'. ;)

Robin,

Good to see you again. I'm still around. I've spent the last several years working for a few different training companies, most recently, Tactical Response. But I am on the road under my own banner again.

Tcon,

I'm teaching classes on the road but don't have anything on the books for KY. I'll probably hit Knoxville in 2012. I remember when I first saw McCann's original VHS tapes. They were almost legendary in the community and if you didn't know someone who knew someone you'd never get a copy.:) They were, and still are, one of the best video sets out there for good defensive gun stuff.

Terry,

I've got an A-IWB video on the shoot list but not sure how long it'll be before I get it done. When I run appendix carry, I lift the gun up the torso and rotate the muzzle forward as my gun hand hits my torso at Count 3. My support hand joins the gun at that time and the safety, if any, is disengaged. When carrying A-IWB, I don't, as a general rule, retract to retention/Count 2, as part of my normal scheme of draw. Safety is reengaged once the gun comes back to Count 3 and decision to reholster has been made but before the muzzle is depressed.

Distinguished Member
    I've spun through a few of them, what I immediately like is the lack of fluff and introductions. Bam, right to the point, you can see a lot of content right away.

I like that. Too many vids have lonnngggg sloooow intos and whatever kind of stuff before the real matter begins.

Administrator
    Nice work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links