Training Firearms

Training Firearms

This is a discussion on Training Firearms within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a Bluegun to practice concealment and draw stroke (also, I'm gonna be using it as a prop for the costume I'll be ...

Thread: Training Firearms

Training Firearms

I just bought a Bluegun to practice concealment and draw stroke (also, I'm gonna be using it as a prop for the costume I'll be wearing to the local comic convention next February.) However, I just read an article on a Police news website that said they make functional training weapons (same thing as a bluegun but you can rack the slide and pull the trigger.) I couldn't find anything about them on google though. Anyone know who makes them and where to get them?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Look up SIRT:

Next Level Training

One of my instructors (not the one that uses the RAM trainers) uses it extensively for his FoF and CCW/CHL classes, as well as an indoor simulation range.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Look up SIRT:

Next Level Training

One of my instructors (not the one that uses the RAM trainers) uses it extensively for his FoF and CCW/CHL classes, as well as an indoor simulation range.
    Know anyone who has something similar for the Sig P229?

I don't think the SIRT is available, yet, as a 229.

VIP Member
    Simguns come in all shapes and sizes and actually fire a projectile. There are also very, very realistic force on force paintball guns.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

^ I thought "Simgun" was the trade-name for the laser-based (no actual projectile) training device made by the Austrian company of the same name? Please clarify..... ? Unless what you meant is "Simunition," which is a whole different idea (http://simunition.com/en/products)?

As for the paintball-based devices, the RAM trainer I alluded to above (and spoke of, in another thread, with the OP) can utilize .43 (IIRC) caliber paintball rounds - however, in all honesty, I don't see much use for it, assuming that no-one participating in the training exercise is in a "gaming" mode and trying to cheat, as the force of the rubber-ball rounds will inflict sufficient pain and bruising to readily indicate where it hit your training opponents, and it won't leave a messy paint splotch to clean up.

After playing paintball through most of the 90s, I no longer have any desire to clean up my clothing or the hardware.

But again, the RAM trainers are realistic only to a degree - their physical reproduction and handling are all very good - but functionally speaking, for the pistols, the magazines are ill-suited for true reloads, and overall, they do not malfunction in a manner which is reflective of their real counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Simguns come in all shapes and sizes and actually fire a projectile. There are also very, very realistic force on force paintball guns.
    I thought sale of Simunition guns was restricted to LE and Military? I heard that the manufacturer didn't want to deal with the liability of selling to civvies. I did take a course with Simunitions, but that was with a school that trains Government counter-terrorist agents as well as Joe Shmoe's like me and have thus been vetted through the wazoo. They were talking about how hard it was even for them to get their hands on the two guns used in the class.

Administrator
    "I thought sale of Simunition guns was restricted to LE and Military?"

Not anymore. Avail for civilian purchase.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I thought sale of Simunition guns was restricted to LE and Military?"

Not anymore. Avail for civilian purchase.
    Cool. I looked on their site though, and all I could find were the conversion kits. My instructor recommended the dedicated pistol over the conversion cause he saw the potential to forget you had the kit in, chamber a live round and have your gun blow up in your face. Am I not looking in the right place, or did they stop selling those?

Links