I'll take it - how about you?

This is a discussion on I'll take it - how about you? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1% can be a lot … Any edge you can get in a life-threatening situation is very welcome - even a 1% chance. What if ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MitchellCT
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin

Thread: I'll take it - how about you?

1% can be a lot …

Any edge you can get in a life-threatening situation is very welcome - even a 1% chance.

What if each choice or skill below gave you only an extra 1% chance of survival?

What if the model gun you pick gives you a 1% better chance?
    The sighting system is 1% better.
    The trigger is 1% better
    The caliber is 1% larger.
    The round’s penetration potential gives another 1%.
    The round’s expansion potential +1%
    The number of rounds available +1%
    The way you carry gives you another 1%.
    Your situational awareness +1%.
    Your clarity of thinking +1%
    Your thinking speed +1%
    Your draw speed +1%.
    Your shooting speed +1%
    Your shooting accuracy +1%

Sure each item alone is not a big deal in and of itself (only 1%) but combined they make a significant difference. This short list alone gives you a total of 14% greater chance of surviving - and it's no where near a complete list.

Bottom line ...
    Taken together, both slightly better equipment choices and minor skill improvements can increase the odds of survival significantly.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Most of that improvement can be made up in practice, better gun handling and dry fire/snap cap drills.

Skill over hardware.

Every time.
    limatunes likes this.

VIP Member
    I think what the OP is getting at is that,
    like in nascar racing, each team is given a set of parameters with which to work, and how they[the pit crew and driver] tune that car for any given track, as long as its within those parameter's, can add up, compared to another driver and team.

Just ask any officer, whose been in a stress fire situation, if ALL they relied on was what/how they trained.

I'd be willing to bet that most dept. heads also give many of these points consideration, when selecting what their officers carry.
    OMO.
    357and40 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I wouldn't disagree... That's why we train and strive to make good purchases based on research... IMO it's an ongoing process.

(Shameless plug ahead.) Although, adding a M&P to the lineup and can only help.....
    357and40 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    By reading this thread I feel that I may have lost 3%. There is nothing of value in the OP and there is no statistical measure of real life.

Practice often and hope for the best.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    By reading this thread I feel that I may have lost 3%. There is nothing of value in the OP and there is no statistical measure of real life.

Practice often and hope for the best.
    Thank you, Next
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

cj
    To be a statistical nit-picker, many of those '1%'s influence others so they're not necessarily additive...but I think your point is to shave the odds every little bit in your favor, something I'm a firm believer in (people tend to consider me 'lucky', but I tend to shave odds just a bit...such as choosing a group hike where I believed a cute girl I'd met would be hiking with again rather than going with a different group resulting in our being married for 5 years now).

But you missed the point that life is also full of compromises...grabbing the caliber that gives you a perceived better percentage of stopping potential might cost you in terms of accuracy, speed, number of rounds, etc. And of course the often repeated quote about the .380 in your pocket being much more useful than the .45 sitting in the safe at home...

Links