Question About Working with Children re: threat situation in home

This is a discussion on Question About Working with Children re: threat situation in home within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to work through how to prepare my children (ages 14,9,5) with different scenarios involving home invasion without scaring the absolute crap out of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Question About Working with Children re: threat situation in home

Question About Working with Children re: threat situation in home

I'm trying to work through how to prepare my children (ages 14,9,5) with different scenarios involving home invasion without scaring the absolute crap out of them.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Start with fire drills, storms, and natural disasters and the transition into home invasion during the same session. When making the transition try to avoid "scary" terms for the youngest. The older ones can handle a little more details. Then set up drills foe each scenario so the focus is on the total package rather than just the BG.

Concentrate on the "safe" part of safe room and use examples of how they may have come to your room when they were scared.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Make it a game!

Kids love games.

Play, "Good guys and robbers." Pretend to be robbers and instruct your kids what to do when you come in the house. Set down the rules and make silly penalties (like getting shot with rubber bands or having to go to "jail" like if they are tagged in other games) if they get caught by the robbers and rewards (candy, whatever) if they do what they are supposed to do.

Set up your home security plan and then you and/or your wife play the "robbers" and have your kids act out the scenario. It makes it fun for them but also prepares them for what you expect.

For kids, play mimics reality so don't think they won't get the importance of the situation just because you made it into a game. You can be doubly sure by having a talk with them and explaining that while you were playing a game this is something you would like them to do if a real robber were to enter the home. They will get it and might actually get it better because it won't bore the living daylights out of them and they get to participate..

PS.. also, let them participate by asking them questions in setting up the "robber" game. Ask them what they would do and tell them why you think it would be a good or bad idea, etc. Incorporate those ideas into the game.

What if they can't get to the "safe room"... what if the phone is dead? Should they or should they not call out to you? ... make it fun.. make it interesting and make it interactive.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I like Limatunes' advice a lot. If going that route, one suggestion I would offer though is to have a talk with the oldest beforehand, and explain to them why you are playing this game, and tell them that you want to involve them to help you teach the younger two. At 14 years old, playing cops and robbers with mom and dad may be considered "lame." Having a talk with them and making them think they are indeed helping you accomplish something (which they are) would serve to keep them more interested and as entertained as the younger two.

$.02
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

In addition to the above, just lay down general rules that are inviolable, such as never opening the door (or without personally knowing who is calling - age dependent answers) and the like. Nothing scary, just "Here are the rules". Ya'll may well be past that, but thought I'd throw it out.

Thanks for the great suggestions! All of them are worth working into the conversation. I really like the idea of making it a game.

I'll work up something and report back- since this is Fire Prevention Week/Month it'll be pretty seamless to do now.

Thanks again!

Teach the 14 year old how to shoot, when to shoot.
    ncsteveh likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My family knows if someone see's fire"get out",tornado''the basement",and we have a code word for intruder,stranger,break-in which means go to dad's safe room,which is concrete block and a steel door that is securable from the inside,with supplies,a pre-paid cell phone,we don't have but the one code word to keep down on confusing the little ones,and mom and me will out of the blue call out tornado,fire or break in.at least 3-4 times a month.Even though i'm in LE,it takes most officers about 15-20 minutes to respond,and lets face it ADT cant be trusted all the time!

Great thread! Thanks from the father of a three and a half year old.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Links