Gun for IDPA matches?

Gun for IDPA matches?

This is a discussion on Gun for IDPA matches? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering joinning the IDPA. For those who are members and participate in matches, what gun do you use? The same one you carry? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gun for IDPA matches?

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Gun for IDPA matches?

I am considering joinning the IDPA.

For those who are members and participate in matches, what gun do you use? The same one you carry? what would you recommend? I carry a G26, but was thinking of getting a G17 Gen4 for IDPA.

JD
    Administrator
    I use my carry guns, but then again those are full size .45s. If I were a Glock shooter I'd go G17.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I use my G22 or sometimes my G27
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I use what I carry 1911 45, shoot what you have then change up latter, it's for carry practice.

You will need a holster that is concealed by a cover garment and 3 magazines with a mag pouch and about 100 rounds of ammo. Holster will need to be the type that is located on your hip, no shoulder or cross draws.

It will be the most fun you have ever had at a range.

Your G26 will do fine to get started. At some point you'll want a little more competitive gun--face it right now ya ain't gonna win the trophy, the $100,000 or the Ferrari. Later, you may, and that's when you pick up the new gun. For now, go shoot with what you have! Have fun, help out, enjoy it!
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I'd say the same thing... run what you got, just make sure you have three mags and two mag carriers, and that darn cover garment (I started with a button up baseball jersey). We usually shoot about 120 rounds per match but 150 wouldnt hurt just in case you have to re-shoot. I started with a G17, but went with my G19 since that is what I carry every day off work.
    Welcome to IDPA.

I use my carry also. XD40SC. Not ideal for IDPA but good for pratice shooting under pressure.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I shoot a full-size XDm 9mm. Great gun and ultra reliable.
    Jamie

I use my carry gun, a Glock 19, for IDPA. For USPSA production division, I use a full sized pistol. As others have recommended, use your Glock 26 to get started. You will soon know if you want another pistol for IDPA and it might not be another Glock.

I usually shoot my Kimber CDP II .45 or my Sig P239 .40. My son has used my Kahr CW9.

Welcome to the fun world of IDPA. I totally agree with everything mentioned above. I just joined myself a few months ago and have shot three matches. I shoot what I mostly carry, a Kimber .45 Pro Raptor or Kimber .45 Ultra CDP II. Also have a Glock 26 I carry mostly in the summer. Nothing wrong shooting a G-26 in IDPA. I did order some "official" IDPA targets and cover stickers from either IDPA or Target Barn to practice. I don't reload and I'm here to tell you, it's getting expensive keeping stocked up on .45 target ammo. Good practice and fun. Good luck!

[IMG][/IMG]

When I did shoot IDPA I shot whatever my carry gun was at the time. Since I'm on a budget and can't afford a race gun I shoot my carry guns at all the matches I shoot.

Administrator
    I never really understood the whole race gun crowd... doesn't that negate the point of shooting IDPA in the first place? Shoot what you are going to use for defense. You might learn what you thought was adequate is not or make some practical modifications to your set up.

On occasions I'll shoot IPSC or an IDPA course for the heck of it with friends who are much more into it than I am; I'll just use my duty gun and holster. It works just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glock 19, Truglow sights, extended slide release! Buy some Glock 17 magazines, the Glock 19s pinch, well they pinch me!

Need more than 3 mags! Most fun you can have with your ... well, it's fun!

AS my EDC for now is a G23, I use a G35 in IDPA matches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links