Range Accuracy

This is a discussion on Range Accuracy within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently recieved my carry license. In doing so, I have this strong urge to be proficient with my fire arm. I have owned a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Range Accuracy

Range Accuracy

I recently recieved my carry license. In doing so, I have this strong urge to be proficient with my fire arm.

I have owned a handgun for years but have not fired it much. I recently bought a smaller gun for concealed carry and have found it to be less accurate than my larger gun.

I have fired about 650 rounds through it and am starting to see reasonable results. It is common for me to see other shooters with very high accuracy around myself. My personal goal is to be able to hit a 6 inch diameter target at least 5 out of six times from about 40 to 50 feet.

My question is: How long( approximate rounds) did it take you to meet this goal? And, what is your definition of proficiency for carry?

2. Remove Ads

My definition would be, being able to stop the threat. Hit COM at 5-7 yards.
    gottabkiddin and OldMick like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I assume that different scenarios demand different levels of accuracy. A close encounter would not need the accuracy of a situation of more open and higher distance.

Take a scenario where a badguy is shooting indiscriminately at 20 yards away with by standers, I might feel the urgency to respond, yet lack the skills to do so. The last thing I want is to miss and hit another, yet, I do not want to watch others die.

A guy who just owns a gun and license might do more harm than good by responding. Chaos makes for tough calls, so I feel the need to be very skilled while carrying.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Hiram25
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    I assume that different scenarios demand different levels of accuracy. A close encounter would not need the accuracy of a situation of more open and higher distance.

Take a scenario where a badguy is shooting indiscriminately at 20 yards away with by standers, I might feel the urgency to respond, yet lack the skills to do so. The last thing I want is to miss and hit another, yet, I do not want to watch others die.

A guy who just owns a gun and license might do more harm than good by responding. Chaos makes for tough calls, so I feel the need to be very skilled while carrying.
    The best you can do in some situations is take cover & report. You could, by bringing attention to yourself & getting hit, be giving the BG another weapon & ammo stash to feed from by following your urges.

Practice not only your gunmanship, but your ability to remain aware of your surroundings & keeping options in mind.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Just a suggestion for practice - use paper plates (maybe dessert-sized) for targets and start at 15-20 feet. When you can get 90% or more of your hits on the plates, move the target out 10 feet. Shoot shorter strings and more of them - load maybe 5 rounds at the most. Sometimes I'll load 2 rounds in one mag and 8 in another, or 3+3+4 to get practice reloading while keeping my eyes focused on the target.

Clint Smith has said he's happy if his students can keep all their shots on a paper plate (regular size) at 25 yards. I think that's something to work toward.
    glockman10mm and DaRedneck like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I agree with paper plate accuracy. But the truth is concerning the smaller gun, the accuracy problem is all you, not the gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I also agree re the plates. It is not only an accuracy thing, it is a time thing. Keeping all rounds on a plate at seven yards at one round per second rate of fire is not difficult. At six rounds per second, it is considerably more challenging.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I agree with paper plate accuracy. But the truth is concerning the smaller gun, the accuracy problem is all you, not the gun.
    I have no doubt about that, but I assume that one gun may require more skill than another. Am I wrong to believe that a 7 inch barrel gun is easier to shoot accurately than a 3 inch barrel gun?

Generally speaking, no you would not be wrong to believe that.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just a suggestion for practice - use paper plates (maybe dessert-sized) for targets and start at 15-20 feet. When you can get 90% or more of your hits on the plates, move the target out 10 feet. Shoot shorter strings and more of them - load maybe 5 rounds at the most. Sometimes I'll load 2 rounds in one mag and 8 in another, or 3+3+4 to get practice reloading while keeping my eyes focused on the target.

Clint Smith has said he's happy if his students can keep all their shots on a paper plate (regular size) at 25 yards. I think that's something to work toward.
    So far my practice has been at indoor ranges, yet I would like to find a place where I could shoot outdoors. Paper plates sould like a great idea. I could replace them with every load and track my accuracy by numbering them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Generally speaking, no you would not be wrong to believe that.
    My two guns are a P-85 and a cm9. After shooting about 400 rounds from my cm9 I used my P-85 for 10 rounds, I noticed I was a little more accurate with it, maybe due to less recoil.

I am starting to gain accuracy noticing that I am learning to control some recoil issues.

Have you considered taking a course? Maybe something from Roger Phillips (PSP), front sight, gunsite etc...
    My suggestion/2cents is some training will be much better than "range/accuracy-only" practice if self-defense is your concern.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imaghn View Post
    Have you considered taking a course? Maybe something from Roger Phillips (PSP), front sight, gunsite etc...
    My suggestion/2cents is some training will be much better than "range/accuracy-only" practice if self-defense is your concern.
    I have to agree learn the hows from an instructor before you get alot of bad habits. If you are looking to shoot small groups at long distance then get to a basic gun class learn the grip, stance, etc. If your goal is to learn to win a gunfight and go home after it is over then get into one of Roger Phillips "Point Shooting Progression" classes.

Like this http://www.suarezinternationalstore....-orangetx.aspx

Most gunfights a CCer will find themselves in will be less than 7 to 10 yds and a large percentage of them will be 0-5. At that range I see trying to use the sights a waste of time that you don't have time to lose.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Do not discount the benefits of being able to shoot well at distance. It reenforces all the basics x the distance. Before you can excell at any discipline, you have got to practice and master these.

Many people will repeat the saying that most gunfights take place at x range, but it is good to be able to make hits at y range also. And what if it's not the so called x range gunfight scenario? What if you have to take a shot at someone going on a rampage in a mall or other setting requiring more distance?

Trigger control will be an asset at any range at any speed. And nothing reenforces that like distance.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My question is: How long( approximate rounds) did it take you to meet this goal? And, what is your definition of proficiency for carry?

I could not tell the approximate number of rounds since I started shooting young, really young. I bugged my Dad everytime I even thought he had is revolvers and long guns out until he took me shooting with him.

As for what I consider proficient for self defense I am hardly ever out past 15 yards for practice and I like to try to keep everything inside about 5-8 inches. Now when I had to qualify for work I had to be proficient out to 25 yards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links