Shot Timer... Which one should I get?

This is a discussion on Shot Timer... Which one should I get? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm at the point in my training (just getting started really) that I would like to quantify some of my tactics (draw from concealment/time to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azchevy

Thread: Shot Timer... Which one should I get?

I'm at the point in my training (just getting started really) that I would like to quantify some of my tactics (draw from concealment/time to first shot, reloads, etc). The only way I know to get better at something is to start at the beginning, record my results and work from that data. I'm not so focused on being lightning quick but I do want to adhere to the 'smooth is fast' mantra.

All that being said, I've done a little research and have narrowed my search down to two units:
    Competition Electronics' Pocket Pro II and the CED 7000. The money is about the same and both units have their pros and cons so I'm looking for hands-on reviews/opinions about these timers.

Big question: if you have one of these timers, would you buy it again?

Thanks for your help and input!
    "A fool's lips walk into a fight,
    and his mouth invites a beating."
    Prov. 18:6

if you have a smartphone get a free app online.
    oakchas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    if you have a smartphone get a free app online.
    Good point... I should have included in the OP that I looked at those 'in case' I get a smartphone but alas, I do not have one. Thanks!

I have a Pocket Pro II and really like it. Funny in that I get so used to clipping it on my belt before shooting that if I don't, I get the feeling "something is wrong." Works well and controls easy to use.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

AZchebby,

Thanks for reminding me... one of the reasons I got a smart phone, one of the reasons I forgot... I Got IPSCShot timer v.0.9.4 beta by Ivan Stoliarov.. works great on my 'droid!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I've used the Shooting Chrony

the CE model and the PAST, and I see no diff, really. The Chrony one had a less distinctive start "beep", but I need electronic ear muffs to hear any of them, really. the Chrony, last I checked, was $50 cheaper and did the same things. I was unaware that a smart phone could be a timer. How do you start it, can it be hooked up to stop when a bullet hits an impact plate, or is it simply sound activated? At public ranges, the latter method doesn't work, because other shooter's noise is always being recorded.

I love the CED7000... I have the first version I believe and it has been superb. I can set up all kinds of different par times, use it as a stop watch, heck there are settings that I haven't even tried yet and I've had it for four years. The new ones look even better. They have color screens and more display modes than mine. I'll stick with mine though, since it has not let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Thanks, I saw a review of this on Youtube but hadn't heard anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbh32 View Post
    I love the CED7000... I have the first version I believe and it has been superb. I can set up all kinds of different par times, use it as a stop watch, heck there are settings that I haven't even tried yet and I've had it for four years. The new ones look even better. They have color screens and more display modes than mine. I'll stick with mine though, since it has not let me down yet.
    Thanks- just curious if you've had any issues with the battery. That seems to be an issue with other users; that they have to send it back to the factory to have the rechargeable battery replaced. Just wondered if you've experienced that.

Links