Broken Carry

Broken Carry

This is a discussion on Broken Carry within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who here trains to operate ambidexterously? Some people only train with one hand, and what happens if you break your hand, do you plan to ...

Thread: Broken Carry

Broken Carry

Who here trains to operate ambidexterously? Some people only train with one hand, and what happens if you break your hand, do you plan to stop carrying for that much time?

I am also wondering if anyone here could share some good one-handed reload techniques, as if you are unable to use a weak hand.

Thanks.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I don't train this way, but I could see how it could be beneficial. Moreover, this scenario of a broken hand or arm lends itself to a benefit of revolver carry. Just load the cylinder and squeeze. Just thinking out loud though...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Assistant Administrator
    Have to discipline myself to include weak hand shooting - but admit I do not do enough one handed practice for reloads, draws etc.

Ideally we should all do this and for sure, even with a busted strong hand/arm - I would do all possible to not give up carry - there always has to be a way to cope.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Even with a broken hand or arm, I do not feel I will have any problem hitting COM with weak side at combat range. My problem will be with drawing my weapon. I have it set up so I can easily draw from strong side but I never practice using my weak side to draw from my strong side.

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    Who here trains to operate ambidexterously?
    Absolutely.

While I can't do magazine swaps worth a darn with my weak hand, I can do it all with my strong hand only. Most every range session, I spend a few mags' worth on one-handed drills, generally with half being single-shot w/ full manipulation of controls. Repetition. Practice. That's a good thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My regular practice sessions incorporate shooting with both the dominant and non-dominant hands.

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever
    I am also wondering if anyone here could share some good one-handed reload techniques, as if you are unable to use a weak hand.
    To reload with your dominant hand only:

1. Eject the expended magazine.
    2. Place the weapon back in the holster.
    3. Retrieve the spare magazine.
    4. Insert the fresh magazine.
    5. Reacquire your firing grip, ensure the magazine is fully seated by striking the base of the magazine on your thigh and release the magazine by:
      A. Thumbing the slide lock/release
      B. Catching the face of the rear sight on your belt/holster/shoe
      C. Catching the edge of of the ejection port on your belt/holster/shoe

To reload with your non-dominant hand:

2. Place the weapon under your dominant arm (if injury allows) or upside down between your knees.
    4. Insert the fresh magazine.
    5. Reacquire your firing grip, ensure the magazine is fully seated by striking the base of the magazine on your thigh and release the magazine by:
      A. Depress the slide lock/release with your index finger
      B. Catching the face of the rear sight on your belt/shoe
      C. Catching the edge of of the ejection port on your belt/shoe

There is a third more universal technique. It can be difficult to perform, especially with SIG's. The benefit is it is much faster than the others and there is only one technique to learn.

2. Place the weapon upside down between your knees. Be careful not to put the weapon too far back (placing the muzzle behind your knees) or to far forward (this prevents you from having enough gun to "grip" when you go to chamber the round.)
    4. Insert the fresh magazine and ensure it is fully seated by striking the base of the magazine with your palm.
    5. Reacquire your firing grip and push forward while applying inward pressure with your knees. This retracts the slide and chanbers the fresh round.
    Last edited by Blackhawk6; August 13th, 2006 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks Blackhawk 6, very informative.

I gotta put this out there. Just watched the movie Way of the Gun and they showed some very good weapons handling and tactics. The one-handed reloads at the end of the movie were very interesting to watch, and that is what initially brought this thread to mind.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I try very hard to include my weak hand during each range day. In some instances, my accuracy is better with my left. (but I use my right eye) figure that out!!
    God Bless the USA

I use a modified cross-draw. Modified in that it is farther forward than trditional CD plus the butt is angled forward. (too far back to be appendics). I can draw either handed this way.

Also for some strange reason I am a better shot with my "weak" hand than my strong hand. No I am not cross-dominant.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

I'm lucky, I am ambidexterous. The way it works with me is that whatever I do with my right or left hand I can do the same with the other in the same way without thinking about it. As long as I am able to do it that way with whatever it is.

Like a pen/pencil is no problem, neither is shooting. But like a computer mouse, the buttons have to be flipped because I would right-click everything before thinknig about it.

Cheers.

Links