Some Thoughts on One Hand Gun Stuff

This is a discussion on Some Thoughts on One Hand Gun Stuff within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My take on Gun Hand Only stuff. I am a proponent of working every gun skill with both hands, right hand only and left hand ...

Thread: Some Thoughts on One Hand Gun Stuff

August 19, 1970 - June 2012

Some Thoughts on One Hand Gun Stuff

My take on Gun Hand Only stuff. I am a proponent of working every gun skill with both hands, right hand only and left hand only to maximize our survivability in a worst case event. I know, statistically, it is unlikely that you'll ever need these skills. Of course, statistically, it is unlikely you will ever need a gun at all. Cold stats are little comfort in a fight for your life.

Gun Hand Only Drawstroke, Reloads and Slide Manipulation

2. Remove Ads

Enjoyed it!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

AOK
    Very good video. I like how you point out to work out the problems now with getting to your spare mags. Mission drives the gear!

I look forward to seeing your video on off hand work.

One of the tactical thoughts that comes to mind is what if your strong side gun hand is injured and you have to do everything with your off hand.

I like appendix carry for this reason.

I can access my pistol with my off side hand.

As I have gotten older and less flexible this is the only posistion I can do this from.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

People that might not have combat sights on there guns can use skatter tape between the rear sight and ejection port. I have run my carry guns this way for years.

Good vid paul, shoot the other one up for us to take a look at reaction hand manipulations...

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    People that might not have combat sights on there guns can use skatter tape between the rear sight and ejection port. I have run my carry guns this way for years.

Good vid paul, shoot the other one up for us to take a look at reaction hand manipulations...
    I have serrations running accross the top of the slide in the same location you described on my EDC Glock 23. Even if you have combat sights it's still nice to have another option for working the slide with the skateboard tape or serrations.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I have serrations running accross the top of the slide in the same location you described on my EDC Glock 23. Even if you have combat sights it's still nice to have another option for working the slide with the skateboard tape or serrations.
    The serrations would be nice...I use the skate tape because its cheap and easy..It make the single hand manipulations real easy to preform.

AOK
    The serrations would be nice...I use the skate tape because its cheap and easy..It make the single hand manipulations real easy to preform.
    I used skate board tape for a few months before the serrations. I tried a friends M&P with the serrations and thought it was even a little easier for one handed manipulations. With that said, some can't justify paying to get the work done on their gun and I can understand that when the tape works well and is MUCH cheaper. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I used skate board tape for a few months before the serrations. I tried a friends M&P with the serrations and thought it was even a little easier for one handed manipulations. With that said, some can't justify paying to get the work done on their gun and I can understand that when the tape works well and is MUCH cheaper. To each his own.
    I would be interested in some pics of that. I might have to have it done...

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    That was thought provoking & informative. Thanks, Paul!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

AOK
    I would be interested in some pics of that. I might have to have it done...
    Here you go!

Very nice. Im going to look into that. Thanks...

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Here's the clip on Offhand Only Gun Stuff.

Old School,

You are correct with regards to appendix carry. It makes one hand gunwork like cheating! Here's a clip I did on Drawing fromAappendix.

I don't get into reloading or anything but you can see from the carry location how much more centrally located everything is.

Links