Iowa ->Point Shooting Progressions Suarez Intl. April 21-22, 2012

This is a discussion on Iowa ->Point Shooting Progressions Suarez Intl. April 21-22, 2012 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is funny, I was just posting in another thread that I wanted to take a class of Roger's and here's my importunity. Hope to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Iowa ->Point Shooting Progressions Suarez Intl. April 21-22, 2012

JD [OP]
    Administrator

This is funny, I was just posting in another thread that I wanted to take a class of Roger's and here's my importunity. Hope to see some of our Iowa members and maybe some new carriers from WI there.

April 21-22, 2012
    POINT SHOOTING PROGRESSIONS
    Searsboro, Iowa
    Instructor: Roger Phillips

Experience has proven beyond any argument that the traditional shooting range methods are simply not suitable for reactive gunfighting. In this course you will learn the "Fight Continuum" detailing exactly when point shooting is suitable, how far to extend the pistol to the threat, the various visual indexes, the combat draw and other life saving skills that will have you shooting at speeds previously considered impossible. This material is comprised from material from virtually every threat focused shooting system in existence and refined to fit into a simple progression of instruction. This course distills it all into one well thought out and extremely applicable system that dovetails neatly into the regular Close Range Gunfighting matrix, presenting the full aspect of the integration of sighted and unsighted fire at CQB distances.

We must point out that THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR THE NOVICE SHOOTER. If you have not received basic instruction, or have a question about your skill level, please call us first.
    See their website for additional details and registration.
    April 21-22, 2012 - Point Shooting Progressions - Searsboro, IA

We'll see if the cash is there...planning on hitting the DefensivePistolSkills course there in March.
    The PSP course sounds like one not to miss!!
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBack View Post
    We'll see if the cash is there...planning on hitting the DefensivePistolSkills course there in March.
    The PSP course sounds like one not to miss!!
    This is the class that I see as changing me on the why's, how's, and where's of the gunfight. I had taken Close Range Gunfighting before the PSP class. Roger says things in my life were just ready and things fell in place buy it happened with PSP (for me).

So I would have to say this is the one class I would tell people to the borrow money if they have to, but be at this class. (Unless you are in your death bed)

I came out of this class, from having the feeling of not having a chance in a gunfight, to a feeling of winning most any gunfight. I took FOF after PSP and could see that what I had learned did and would work. YES I got shot some but I also destroyed the BGs.

Be at PSP or lose a great chance of improving your gun handling skills.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    What is Point Shooting Progressions?

Many people consider me to be “the point shooting guy.” That is simply not the way that I see it. What I teach is so much more important than just point shooting. But it can not be taught until I teach people how to point shoot. You see, point shooting is just a necessary element of what I teach and it is the most common element that is often missing.

When I first joined on to Suarez International, I want to call my course “Continuum Shooting.” I did not want anything to do with the term “point shooting” because I thought that the negative connotation behind the term and the ruthless debate over the skill set would put me behind the eight ball right out of the gate. I wanted to instruct and I wanted to be successful at it. I did not want to do anything to hamper my efforts. My good friend Gabe informed me that “Nobody will know what continuum shooting means. Let’s just call it Point Shooting Progressions (PSP.)” Knowing how successful Gabe has been I put my trust in him and that was that. I will not deny being concerned over the decision.

From the very start the PSP was going to be a look at the fight continuum. The fight continuum basically comes down to “the fight is going to be what the fight is going to be.” It was based on the philosophy that “situations dictate strategy, strategy dictate tactics and tactics dictate techniques…..techniques should not dictate anything.” What I was looking to do was to teach a seamless integration of fluid concepts that would take care of a huge portion of the possible situations as effectively and efficiently as possible. While not a martial artist, many of my friends who are martial artist compare the concept to Bruce Lee’s June Keet Do. I do not know, all I know is it just made sense to me.

Inside of the fight continuum there are smaller concepts.

The reactionary concept

The take off concept

The movement concept

The draw stroke concept

The retention concept

The sight concept

The grip and trigger concept

When looked at from this perspective it is plain to see that I am not just “the point shooting guy.” But there is the fact that point shooting skill sets integrated with our sighted fire skill sets does facilitate us to be the very best that we can be inside a large portion of each of these continuums. Helping the students be the very best that they can be with point shooting elevates the students skill level across the entire fight continuum and it is all about the fight continuum.

“It’s not about point shooting it’s about what you can do with point shooting.”

This is not overly complicated.....it's thorough. There is a very big difference between the two. A thorough look at "the fight" allows for a thorough examination of the most effective and efficient skill sets to solve the situation that may arise in a fight.

When laid out in an organized manner this concept is not difficult to grasp.

There are people out there that have told me "people need to figure this stuff out on their own. Just give them the basics and send them on their way."

If we can teach students more about the fight and the best way to handle the situations that may arise......why would we not do that? It is not like we teach "hard rules" that can lock you in and blow up in your face.....we teach fluid concepts dictated by the ever changing situation. A general knowledge and skill level in these fluid concepts is a much better idea than the "people need to figure this stuff out on their own" philosophy.

At the end of every one of my PSP course I ask all of the students "is this over complicated?" Not one student has said that it was. Sure, we all know that the PSP is "like drinking from a fire hose." But delivering a good amount of information is not over complicating things. When you back up the course with the book, the DVD's, and me always being here at DC to answer your questions, there is simply no chance of not getting it.

The PSP course has taken on a life of its own. I would love to sit here and tell you that I planned on the course being as successful as it has become. But that would be a lie. I knew that it would be a good course, but to keep hearing "the information inside of this course is important" like I've been hearing lately, makes me realize that the course has exceeded all of my expectations. It has taken on a life of its own and I am just a collector of information. All I have to do is pass on the information that I keep collecting.
    AZ Hawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    This is the class that I see as changing me on the why's, how's, and where's of the gunfight. I had taken Close Range Gunfighting before the PSP class. Roger says thsngs in my life were just ready and things fell in place buy it happened with PSP (for me).
    So I would have to say this is the one class I would tell people to the borrow money if they have to, but be at this class. (Unless you are in your death bed)
    I came out of this class, from having the feeling of not having a chance in a gunfight, to a feeling of winning most any gunfight. I took FOF after PSP and could see that what I had learned did and would work. YES I got shot some but I also destroyed the BGs.
    Be at PSP or lose a great chance of improving your gun handling skills.
    I have been in contact w/Greg on both these courses (DSP & PSP) and I think Roger has replied with the same recommendation (over at the WT site) that I attend the DSP course first being that my experience is still somewhat limited in the way of the gun...if at all possible I'll be at both...I've got a previous commitment to take care of at the end of this month/beginning of next and then I'll start the process of saving up some funds....borrowing is not an option.
    Your description of your experiences at the PSP course tends to make me even more committed to making the needed sacrifices so that I will be able to attend both.
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

April 21-22, 2012
    POINT SHOOTING PROGRESSIONS
    Searsboro, Iowa
    Instructor: Roger Phillips

Experience has proven beyond any argument that the traditional shooting range methods are simply not suitable for reactive gunfighting. In this course you will learn the "Fight Continuum" detailing exactly when point shooting is suitable, how far to extend the pistol to the threat, the various visual indexes, the combat draw and other life saving skills that will have you shooting at speeds previously considered impossible. This material is comprised from material from virtually every threat focused shooting system in existence and refined to fit into a simple progression of instruction. This course distills it all into one well thought out and extremely applicable system that dovetails neatly into the regular Close Range Gunfighting matrix, presenting the full aspect of the integration of sighted and unsighted fire at CQB distances.

We must point out that THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR THE NOVICE SHOOTER. If you have not received basic instruction, or have a question about your skill level, please call us first.

DURATION:

2 Days

TIME:

8:00AM to 4:00PM

PREREQUISITES:

NONE

AMMUNITION:

Appx 700 rounds (Minimum); Bring more if you want to shoot more

YOU NEED TO BRING:

Spare clothing appropriate to the weather, lunch/snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day, baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellent, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (band aids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape)

REQUIREMENTS:

Pistol, Carry Holster, 3 Magazines and Magazine pouch and Range Safety Gear

Big Springs Shooting Complex
    4945 Highway 146
    Searsboro, IA 50242
    641-593-6635
    Big Springs - Home

DIRECTIONS TO RANGE:

From I-80 E or W:
    * Take Grinnell Exit, Exit 182.
    * Turn South on hwy 146.
    * Bear left to stay on Hwy 146 at junction with County road F62, approximately 8.7 miles from I-80.
    * Stay on Hwy 146 for 1.2 miles.
    * Range will be on your left.

NOTE: Using Google Maps and searching for the address 5015 Highway 146, Searsboro, IA 50242, will get you a pointer right by the range gate. Itís not the correct range address, but using the correct address, of course, doesnít work on Google Maps or in most vehicle GPS systems.

NEARBY HOTELS:

Days Inn Hotel
    1902 West St. S.
    Grinnell, IA 50112
    Phone: 641-236-6710
    Best Western Pioneer Inn
    2210 West St. S.
    Grinnell, IA 50112
    641-236-6116

Super 8
    2111 West St. S.
    Grinnell, IA 50112
    641-236-7888

CLOSEST AIRPORT:

Des Moines International Airport (DSM)

NOTES

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate the call us anytime. Call Suarez Headquarters if you would like to get in contact with your instructor or the class host.

My first Interview on a Podcast

Podcast #150 Handgun World Podcast

I make no bones about it, I do not write that well or speak that well........but if I let that hold me back I would still be a nobody.

One thing that I will guarantee is the I will tell you what I think with as much integrity as I can.

Maybe I missed it in the promo but what is the cost of this course?
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    In post #6 click the "April 21-22, 2012 - Point Shooting Progressions - Searsboro, IA" link it will take you to the SI class website.

Cost is $400
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    In post #6 click the "April 21-22, 2012 - Point Shooting Progressions - Searsboro, IA" link it will take you to the SI class website.

Cost is $400
    What he said.....thanks Bill!

I took the class in Michigan in October. Roger is outstanding. The information produced several WOW moments. Take this class

How to Prepare for a Point Shooting Progressions (PSP & APSP) Course?

"Like drinking from a firehose!"

This is what is commonly said about the PSP course. It is not just deep in physical skill sets, it is deep in the connection of the physical skill sets to the mental aspect of the fight. In other words the "hows, why's, when's, and where's are covered to the point that you are able to mentally organize the very best applications of the concepts that you will be taught.

Since this course is deeps in layers it is very wise to have a few things in place before you take the course so you are not overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the information.

1) Even though there are no prerequisites for the PSP course it is absolutely necessary to have you fundamentals down cold. This is an "Intermediate to Advanced" course, it is not designed to teach you the fundamentals. You need to have your safety down cold. You need to be able to keep your gun up and running using fight focused "reactive" manipulations. You need to have a safe and decent draw stroke. That is what is needed up front because we will not be covering these things. It will be presummed that you already own this level to get into an "Intermediate to Advanced" handgun course. If you need to concentrate on the fundamentals, then you are going to really be up against it with the amount of new information that is going to come your way. The firehose has only has two positions open or closed, and we are going to crank it open very early inside of the course.

2) It is very helpful to have a basic understanding of who I am, what I teach, and where I will be taking you. I can always tell the students that take my PSP course not even knowing who I am. The shock of what they are being taught is written all over their face. It is much better to not be surprised by what I will ask you to do. Most of my students do follow along and have a general idea of what I write, what I think, and how I instruct. This is always best! If I shock the student, they are busy trying to sort out in their mind what they are being asked to do and why. They are left to their thoughts as I push forward. But if you have a general idea of what is coming and why, there is nothing more than a "let's do it" attitude. If you know my reputation and the reputation of the course it is much easier to be "all in." This puts you in the best position possible to accept the information that is coming hard and fast.

How to do this is simple, read my posts. I do not hold back anything because it does not matter if I do because there is no way to convey the quality of the information by the written word. The PSP course must be experienced. Reading about it gets you less than 30% there. Read my book . This will help you understand the direction that I will be taking you and introduce you to the mental aspect of the fight. Watch my DVD's . This will begin to get your head wrapped around the physical skill sets that we will be practicing. The more prepared you are when you walk into the course, the further I can take you. If you have no idea who I am when we meet I will only be able to take you so far. But if you know me well before we meet, there is no telling how far I can take you.

3) Bring an open mind! I may tell you things that you have never heard before and I may show things that you have never seen before. I may talk about things that are as familiar to me as the sky is blue and they may be completely foreign to you. Just understand that there is a very good reason for that. By teaching the PSP course for the last 6+ years I get to see things, on a regular basis, that very few people ever get to see. My perspective from teaching this very unique course is a very unique perspective. But it is like anything repetiton, repetition, repetition. When you see things enough time they become a part of you. And the PSP has become a part of me, teaching it is like breathing. I do it without thinking about it and it just flows with no effort, even on stuff that almost nobody else has been in the position to see.

As my good friend Richard Coplin likes to say "sometimes in your life you just have to trust the process." I am not asking for blind trust.......heck, I've laid everything out on the table for everyone to see and examine. But I would hope that has earned me your trust. My job as I see it, is to help make you as deadly as you can possibly be, no matter who you are. I know how to do that......I will not hold anything back from making that happen.

At the beginning of every PSP course that I teach (after I watch you in the evaluation portion of the course) I ask myself one question "can I take him/her in a gunfight?" The answer to that question is usually a resounding "yes!" I ask the same question at the end of the PSP course and if I did my job, that question is not near so easy to answer.

If you want to be deadlier to your enemies and more deadly for your loved ones........just give me two days

sounds like an interesting course. Let us know how you like it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Getting closer....

It's been reported that slots for this class are almost full up....

Hi JD: I look forward to meeting you there. If it is like the other Suarez course I took, it should be fantastic.
    JD likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links