States legal Code, really?

This is a discussion on States legal Code, really? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, how many people have actually read their states Legal code? at least the crimes part of it..or any of it for that matter. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LenS

Thread: States legal Code, really?

States legal Code, really?

Just curious, how many people have actually read their states Legal code? at least the crimes part of it..or any of it for that matter. I have always found in my life that things get "skewed" when translated by word of mouth and its best if you read and study the information yourself. It does not matter if it is a military regulation or the States legal code, you will find out very interesting information and in a discussion, if you have it in black and white not just what bubba said, you win discussions. I will give two examples...

1) in WV if like 5 people attack one person that is not Assault...it is Lynching, and should be charged as Lynching. I found that interesting

2) In WV if a police officer ask you to assist him by detaining some one or helping him break up a fight for example and you do not help you can be charged with Refusal of person to aid officer and spend up to 6 months in Jail and a 100 dollar fine.

I welcome "cool" things that you know about in your state and I am looking to find out if anybody has actually looked into your states laws...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    They can get pretty nutty (blue laws). I was living in CA when Clint Eastwood became a local hero when he allowed open carry for ice cream in the city of Carmel.

UCMJ has some interesting things too (passing the time on long, boring night watches)... Look up 'sodomy' sometime. The definition is bizarre. You know they came up with that definition in paragraph (a) because somebody tried to argue a technicality.

LOL, I have read some of the bizzar stuff in the UCMJ. Its funny when you realize that some of the stuff is written because people try and get off of stuff they did wrong because of wording...and it is sad when the do get away with stuff cause of wording.

I saw a guy pop hot for coke on two piss test..no punishment was rendered because the chain of custody was broken...both times.

JD
    Administrator
    IA actually includes "Dueling" when discussing self defense. You can not cite Self Defense as a defense if engaged in a duel.

You can't have a riot in Texas unless you have at least seven people assembled.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    You can't have a riot in Texas unless you have at least seven people assembled.
    ...and one Ranger!

If I wish to assist a LEO, it will be of my own choosing, so I think I'll pass on living WV. I think it would be tough to convict someone who is neither trained in the skills of hand-to-hand combat nor physically capable of rendering "assistance" other than calling for additional backup.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I read my own state's firearms laws regularly, and I go and read the laws of other states before I travel to them, most times using the Handgunlaws.us and forums just to point in me in the direction of the sections I need to look up.

I've also gone through and pulled out details from within the vehicle code many many times. And I'll also read through and generally browse my own states code as leisure reading on nights that I'm a bit insomniatic, cures it every time.

Of course this website is always good for a laugh on goofy laws as well Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Glock Certified Armorer

Yeah the one about assisting LEO is out there...I know a lot of LEOs and I dont know a single one who would ask that (unless he is just getting his butt handed to him and he really needs the help)...lol so I dont see it ever happening but with some of the back roads here and tough to get to areas I can understand why it would be on the books...I should research it more. it is probably an old law back when they had the conflicts over the mines.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I guess that I've always been somewhat interested in laws.

I've been following MA gun laws since the mid-1970s, served as Legislative Chairman for 3 gun clubs for close to 20 years total and testified at the state <anti> gun bill hearings for many years.

Due to the convoluted gun laws in MA and the massive mis-information given out by LEOs, instructors and gun shop employees, I finally created a seminar on MA gun laws that I now teach to help people "stay out of legal trouble" (it's not on how to get a permit . . . more like how to keep it once you got it).
    modernknight likes this.
    NRA Instructor

Due to the convoluted gun laws in MA and the massive mis-information given out by LEOs, instructors and gun shop employees, I finally created a seminar on MA gun laws that I now teach to help people "stay out of legal trouble" (it's not on how to get a permit . . . more like how to keep it once you got it).[/QUOTE]

that is awesome, that is a great Idea and something I may look at doing here in WV...I definatly need to find the time though, I travel..ALOT but I am close to retirement...that may be something I will look at.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Due to the convoluted gun laws in MA and the massive mis-information given out by LEOs, instructors and gun shop employees, I finally created a seminar on MA gun laws that I now teach to help people "stay out of legal trouble" (it's not on how to get a permit . . . more like how to keep it once you got it).
    So, you're a realtor??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    So, you're a realtor??
    Sorry, but you lost me on that response. I've been lied to plenty by realtors and almost had one's license yanked for unprofessional behavior.

For everyone's benefit, MA is "unique" in a sordid way! You need a permit to merely possess any gun, ammunition/components or hi-cap magazine! And said permit is 100% "discretionary" on your local police chief . . . they can refuse to issue one for any/no reason whatsoever and suspend/revoke similarly! And if they suspend/revoke, they come in and confiscate everything and your chances of getting anything back (or any money for the items) is somewhere between slim and none . . . and slim just done left town! I'm not kidding, it really is this bad.

So the need for info to stay out of trouble is massive. Unfortunately, I've found too few that are willing to pay for it . . . but those that have taken my seminar say that they did learn a lot and it was well worth it to them.
    NRA Instructor

LAW...

Surely, you jest...

Links