Proper Grip & Recoil Managment - Page 3

Proper Grip & Recoil Managment

This is a discussion on Proper Grip & Recoil Managment within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I am always up for a new video where and how do I order and can you ship to an APO,FPO,DPO? Yes, we can ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Proper Grip & Recoil Managment

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Ok I am always up for a new video where and how do I order and can you ship to an APO,FPO,DPO?
    Yes, we can do that..

F-F SNIPER.jpg

Here's a link to the Online Store:

Tactical Shooting Academy - Store

Thanks, gents, for the comments.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Nice video. Thanks for sharing. I agree, DC is a good place to share. Most of the members here are really cool and open. Lots of other forums are loaded with tools.

I have been shooting only as long as my LE career,16 years. Originally starting on a S&W model 10, then moving on to Glocks. My shooting techniques have changed over the years and in 2008 I became a Firearms Instructor for my Dept. One thing that I have noticed is that everyone is different and some things need to be tweeked. Before I went to the shoot-off to get into the school to become an instructor, I tweeked my trigger finger position. For years I had it pounded into my head by other instructors that you MUST use the first pad of your finger. I teach that as well because it works for most. However, I have very long fingers which leaves a huge gap when using the pad. I moved it down to the first joint and my groups really tightened up. I was able to shoot more accurately and at a much faster cadence.

One of the other changes that I made was from crossing my thumbs, to lining them up and rolling my support hand as you described. After doing so, my shot to shot speed became even faster. That front sight barely moves and I'm really impressed with the speed of the follow up shots.

Even though I teach others how to shoot, I'm always open to new and better ways to do things. That is how we all improve at whatever our discipline is.

Again, thanks for sharing and welcome!
    DRM and Erick46590 like this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I just got back from running 100 rounds through my M&P9c at the range using this grip and I must say that it appears to have improved my precision significantly.

Keep in mind that relative to most here I am a total newbie, so just about anything will improve my skills. But this has helped me a lot.

I did purchase the DVD's to get the fine points of the grip.

Doc

Sponsor

Thumbs up

I'm glad it helped improve your shooting, Doc.

Keep building on the foundation of Grip & Index. Then work the fundamentals of Guard, Partial & Full Extension. Things will only get better...
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Great stuff D.R. Really enjoy the insight. That people who have been shooting for years can pick up a new detail that gives them noticeable if not dramatic impprovement in accuracy and control is inspiring.
    DRM likes this.
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

Sponsor
    First I need to say that I do not follow the shooting sports very closely. This is not due to a lack of interest, just time management. I couldn't tell you who's doing what if I was being tortured.

I started shooting pistol 30 years ago. I learned a classic Weaver technique and have always had problems with consistency and target acquisition. I learned a dozen years or so ago that my problem was primarily due to my being cross eye dominant(right handed, left eye dominant). I worked into a modified ISO. grip and saw vast improvement.

This thread was the first I had seen of this rolled and locked off hand wrist and reverse weaver technique. I have been working with it since and while I can't say that my accuracy has improved, my consistency and ability to maintain a combat grouping in rapid fire has shown marked improvement.

I will be ordering these vids as soon as I recover from the Christmas spending!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Sponsor

Lightbulb Eye Dominance Problems

I started shooting pistol 30 years ago. I learned a classic Weaver technique and have always had problems with consistency and target acquisition. I learned a dozen years or so ago that my problem was primarily due to my being cross eye dominant(right handed, left eye dominant). I worked into a modified ISO. grip and saw vast improvement.
    If you’re RIGHT handed and LEFT eye dominant you can work around that issue in with my system of shooting. Simply shift the gun over and underneath the dominnant eye. The photo’s below show proper Guard, Partial and Full Extension shooting positions for guys like yourself:

EYE DOM GUARD.jpg
    The Guard Shooting Position: Notice center line of bore is directly beneath the dominant eye. This is designed for shooting from Retention.

EYE DOM PARTIAL.jpg
    Partial Extension Shooting Position: Notice center line of bore is still directly beneath the dominant eye. This is designed for Point Shooting.

EYE DOM FULL.jpg
    Full Extension Shooting Position: Notice center line of bore is still directly beneath the dominant eye. This is designed for Surgical Shooting.

Photo's below show the Guard Shooting Position for those who are both right handed and right eye dominant:
    Attached Images

www.TacticalShooting.com

I'm not in love with this grip. I was ready to get rid of my G22 and get a G19. I went to the range this past weekend and practiced with this grip. I'm amazed. I'm still far from being a professional, but I can now hit the target and control the recoil. The off duty police officer who saw me shoot the first time was astounded at the improvement. I now love my G22. I hope to get better and better with it.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Sponsor
    "I'm not in love with this grip."
    I hope you meant that you are "now" in love with the grip...right?

www.TacticalShooting.com

I don't type so well, but yes, I meant that I'm "now" in love with this grip. My shooting (which wasn't very good to start with) is now much better.
    DRM likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

I'm going to try this out tomorrow. Looks very interesting.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

Sponsor

Thumbs up

I don't type so well, but yes, I meant that I'm "now" in love with this grip. My shooting (which wasn't very good to start with) is now much better.
    COOL!

I'm going to try this out tomorrow. Looks very interesting.
    Let me know if can be of any assistance.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Worked with just the grip today. It was very comfortable shooting, and I could actually notice way less barrel flip with my XDM 45. I will continue to work with this until it is a natural grab for me. My accuracy with my 9mm was about the same, but I saw improved accuracy with follow up shot with the 45. Thanks for posting this.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

DR asked me if I would post this for the benefit of those who have hand injuries.

Some time ago my L hand was injured in a table saw accident. Using this pic imagine the ring and middle finger somewhat extended and not having any grip strength or feeling past the first knuckle. The forefinger and little finger can wrap as pictured. The circled grip area is where the recoil and control is managed and compensates (with practice) for the lack of all fingers wrapping tightly. I'm also having to train my L thumb to extend along the slide. (Another consequence of the injury.)

This grip provides me greater control and recoil management than any other "solutions" I've tried. I hope I've explained this so that it makes sense to you and that someone might benefit from it.
    DRM likes this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Sponsor

Lightbulb It’s all in the wrist…

I get a lot of handicapped folks coming to me for help in gripping the gun. I suffer from tendinitis myself and it really hurts when I squeeze the gun. It got so bad, I had to find another way to control the recoil.

I developed this method so that I would not have to use a “clam shell type squeeze” to control the recoil. Unlike the Mod-Iso (which I used for years) where you have to squeeze hard with the off hand, you don’t have to squeeze with my roll-over-wrist-lock grip. All you have to do is “Hook” the bottom of the front strap with the off hand and lock the wrist lock. Just roll the wrist fully over and point the thumb at the target. To demonstrate, try this:

Pinky Push.jpg

Photo courtesy the FIST-FIRE® Book © 2002 Tactical Shooting Academy

Roll your off hand wrist fully over until the wrist bones lock/stop it. Tighten the thumb and stiffen the fingers. Hook the front strap of the gun your off hand (cup it if you can) but you don’t have to clam shell squeeze it. Pull your left shoulder back. Now push the strong hand thumb forward into the Pinky and you’ll feel the resistance and power of the wrist lock. Then feel your off hand forearms muscles and see how relaxed they are. It doesn't take much grip strength to do this.

Thanks for posting Olduser.
    fm2 likes this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links