Proper Grip & Recoil Managment

This is a discussion on Proper Grip & Recoil Managment within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Ultimate Semi-Auto Pistol Grip… I’ve been looking over numerous forums for last 6 months. I chose to advertise on D.C. forums for a lot ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Proper Grip & Recoil Managment

Sponsor

Lightbulb Proper Grip & Recoil Managment

The Ultimate Semi-Auto Pistol Grip…

I’ve been looking over numerous forums for last 6 months. I chose to advertise on D.C. forums for a lot of GOOD reasons. I liked the D.C. forums because of the Great Moderation, the Great People, and the Overall Good Will of the People I see here. To quote my friend and colleague Paul Sharp:

“It’s not us against each other, it’s us against the hoards!”

Even if you don’t agree with me or my teachings, I wanted you folks here at D.C. forums to receive this first. I know many here are “Newbies” meaning that you are NEW to shooting and looking for answers. I also know the “Old School” crowd who are set in their ways…

Well, to each his own!

Take what I have to say with a grain of Salt, a twist of Lime and a shot of Tequila for best results.

I am a “Big Technique” kind of guy. I’m always searching for a better way. I discovered this technique well over a decade ago. I believe it to be cutting edge technology even today. It’s the next BIG thing in Defensive & Tactical Shooting. I’m just amazed that it has taken this long to catch on. Take a look:

DISCLAIMER WARNING: We DO NOT offer revolver training (never have, never will) nor do we recommend using revolvers with the FIST-FIRE Grip. Gases escaping from the cylinder gap can burn skin and may cause serious injury to the off hand thumb.
    Last edited by DRM; December 4th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I, for one, appreciate you willingly and freely offering your technique to us. Whether anyone else cares for it, or not, it is appreciated. I absolutely plan to give this method a try next time I go shooting. Thank you!
    DRM, Erick46590, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Interesting will have to give it a try the next time at the range.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

old habbits are hard to break but it sound like it id worth trying.... thanks for the tip

VIP Member
    I have had a look at some of your Youtube videos, and they are very nicely done. Thanks for your time and efforts.

I've viewed your videos and your ideas are interesting. I was considering purchasing your DVD's but I am concerned that they might not be that useful to me due to restrictive rules at the indoor range. Judging from the videos that you have online I'm guessing that I won't have an opportunity to try what you teach.

Can you comment on that?

Thanks,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I've viewed your videos and your ideas are interesting. I was considering purchasing your DVD's but I am concerned that they might not be that useful to me due to restrictive rules at the indoor range. Judging from the videos that you have online I'm guessing that I won't have an opportunity to try what you teach.

Can you comment on that?

Thanks,
    Doc
    In order to give a complete answer it might help him to understand what the rules at your range are.

Quote Originally Posted by GutshotJohn View Post
    In order to give a complete answer it might help him to understand what the rules at your range are.
    They generally don't allow drawing and shooting from a holster unless they deem you qualified to do so. But it's a bit hard to get qualified unless you can learn and practice. So based upon this rule, I am fairly certain they wouldn't allow non-sighted shooting from the guard position.

Just an example.

Doc

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I use a similar grip but don't extend the left thumb quite so far (I shoot revolvers too). The video is a good reminder to grip firmly with the off hand and lock the wrist down. Thanks again!

Jim

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's pretty much the grip I use with my Glock, although I still working on getting comforatble with the forward roll of the left hand. It still feels un-natural to me. But it does work well when I get it right.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsor

Lightbulb Square Range Training

Long distance demo shooting like I’m doing with a gun without sights on it would be MAJOR NO-NO for the unlearned…

Likewise, drawing from a holster on most ranges is forbidden. But that’s not required for Level 1 or 2. Dry fire is where you should be spending most of your draw time, and you can do that at home.

The entire Foundation of the FIST-FIRE System is Grip, Index, Guard, Partial & Full Extension. All of which are covered in Level 1.

The FIST-FIRE DVD’s take you up to into Level 3 and the latter is movement forwards and backwards. Again, dry fire at home would be recommended BEFORE going HOT on the range.

Other than that, I don’t have my students remove their sights, nor do I tape them over, so I don’t see any real issues.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Thumb over thumb grip:
    The Combat Grip

Then "push" the front sight to the target.....

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    The Ultimate Semi-Auto Pistol Grip…

I’ve been looking over numerous forums for last 6 months. I chose to advertise on D.C. forums for a lot of GOOD reasons. I liked the D.C. forums because of the Great Moderation, the Great People, and the Overall Good Will of the People I see here. To quote my friend and colleague Paul Sharp:

“It’s not us against each other, it’s us against the hoards!”

Even if you don’t agree with me or my teachings, I wanted you folks here at D.C. forums to receive this first. I know many here are “Newbies” meaning that you are NEW to shooting and looking for answers. I also know the “Old School” crowd who are set in their ways…

Well, to each his own!

Take what I have to say with a grain of Salt, a twist of Lime and a shot of Tequila for best results.

I am a “Big Technique” kind of guy. I’m always searching for a better way. I discovered this technique well over a decade ago. I believe it to be cutting edge technology even today. It’s the next BIG thing in Defensive & Tactical Shooting. I’m just amazed that it has taken this long to catch on. Take a look:

Stay safe.

OK....that's pretty interesting right there.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Thumb over thumb grip:
    The Combat Grip
    Brian and Robbie are using MOD-ISO. If you notice, neither of them (no disrespect intended) has the OFF HAND reaching around in front of the gun like I do.

If you look at their Off Hand 2nd knuckle. It’s just about in line with the center line of the trigger guard. Little if no gap at heels of the hands.

With my F-F Grip, the center line of the trigger guard is between the 2nd & 3rd knuckle. There is NO WAY to use the MOD-ISO presentation with the FIST-FIRE Grip….it’s physically impossible.

Why? The off hand arm MUST be straighter and higher to accommodate my wrist lock. You also don’t have to “MUSCLE” the gun with my grip (as I showed in the one-handed-demo). MOD-ISO requires a good bit of grip strength.

Dave Sevigny asked me to show him my grip in 2007. He uses the wrist lock with a gap in the back. He's also LEFT eye dominant, so his right elbow rolls up and shifts the gun over to left eye. He also doesn't lock the left elbow, but he squeezes harder than I do.

Then "push" the front sight to the target.....
    Negative, I lift up and roll out towards the target as Barb showed in the video.

Respectfully,

D.R. Middlebrooks
    Last edited by DRM; December 5th, 2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarity

www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Just did some dry firing with my J-Frame. There is no reason you can't modify the Fist-Fire grip by locking the thumbs down when you move your support hand around the front and lock the wrist down. I will give this a try during my next excursion to the range.

No doubt it works better with an auto and a full size grip but every little bit helps when shooting an Airweight with +P ammo.

Jim

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links