Benefits of IDPA - Page 2

Benefits of IDPA

This is a discussion on Benefits of IDPA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do it for fun. It's ok. A change of pace from target practice....

View Poll Results: Are you an IDPA member?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I find it helpful.

29 38.67%
  • Yes, it's OK.

10 13.33%
  • No, but plan on joining.

20 26.67%
  • No, not worth it.

3 4.00%
  • No, never heard of it/thought of joining.

5 6.67%
  • Other

8 10.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Benefits of IDPA

I do it for fun. It's ok. A change of pace from target practice.

I don't think the "shooting under stress" argument holds water. It's a diffrent kind of stress and can in no way approximate a defensive encounter. It does, however, put you in shooting situations that you just can't duplicate on your own. Ever laid down and shot the legs out from under a bad guy from under a car? Ever had to pull a gun from a tool box and shoot a charging Rottweiler? Ever been sitting at a table eating lunch and had to make a head shot on a suicide bomber? Those are just 3 IDPA COFs that I have shot, and I have a thousand more odd ball examples; Ever been knocked flat on your back and had to draw and defend yourself? <g> (In this one you start standing up and can't draw until the back of your head, shoulders, and wrists touch the ground) Yes, it's good, but really only for the range of experience that it gives you.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    its more fun than static target shooting
    unless you have access to a simulator, its as close to real life as you are likely to get
    many shooters have commented that after the buzzer, it seems real life to them

down side compared to even 5 years ago is it has become rules, rules, rules.
    mag retention--or not
    order of engagement
    and rounds necessary on target even if you have a heart or forehead shot

penalties and DQ'ing for doing things that in real life will have saved your life.

what use to try to replicate a real event now is more that you can practice a COF and
    its become more in the category of trick shooting.

if you have not done it, do try it a few times cause it can be fun--especially in the beginning.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I will add 1 thing to what people have said and it pertains to the rules. While it has many stupid rules, in particular with the magazine loads and things like that, they are still beneficial. They force you to think. And in a SD situation that is almost more important than having a gun in many ways. So while the limited round counts and tactical sequence and several other things may be stupid and borderline dangerous in real life it is still useful. The trick to IDPA is shooting it with the proper mind set.

We have a small semi private club where I live. And we shoot tactical and idpa style courses. And I think it has helped mine and my sons shooting. It is better than shooting paper targets. Dont get me wrong paper helps with the fundamentals of shooting but idpa style takes it to the next level.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Learn and remember everything you learn, except for the mag change protocol. thats my take.

IDPA is a lot of fun, and good gun handling practice. Self defense training it's not. I shoot 2-3 IDPA matches a month, did I mention it's fun!!!!!!!!!!!?
    str1

I'd love to join, my my options are limited here. In Stockton, every Saturday, they have meets. Unfortunately, I have to work Saturdays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links