The Basics.

This is a discussion on The Basics. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 6 Feb 04 Sage and disturbing comments from a friend about the modern state of training. Much of this applies to those of us who ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By MitchellCT
  • 4 Post By MitchellCT

Thread: The Basics.

The Basics.

6 Feb 04

Sage and disturbing comments from a friend about the modern state of training. Much of this applies to those of us who claim to be "Gunmen" and teachers of legitimate fighting art.

"Alone, karate has the moral component of a hatchet. Good karate has the moral component of a sharp hatchet. If fools were ever to achieve the wise, moral, or improved condition they imagine to exist, they might have so much peace of mind that they could not hit hard. Of course, fools cannot hit hard in any case.

A few basic blows, practiced relentlessly, provide a better arsenal for combat than many techniques, each practiced less frequently. More techniques can be learned and practiced on a decreasing scale of utility and, probably, on an increasing scale of fun. That is, pleasure in practice; not joy celebrating victory in combat. The entertainment and exercise value of the full spectrum of any martial art is obvious, but variety does not win fights

In any fight, you must hit the first enemy first. Almost always, he is the closest one. If you drop the man immediately, that changes everything. If you do not, that also changes everything.

A fortunate karateka fights seldom if ever, but he is always a dangerous man. I intend to be one until I die.

I have no knowledge of modern karate- kickboxing, karate aerobics or whatever- and no interest in the future of the art. Denizens of modern karate "studios" apparently dance in front of mirrors while wearing shiny pants. The only competent place I have ever seen with music, mirrors, and shiny pants was a whorehouse in Nevada. "Instructors" who debase an ancient tradition and teach incompetent techniques deserve the shame of this comparison.

Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals. Popularization and overparticipation degrades karate just as their parent, overpopulation, degrades, cheapens, and probably dooms our species. In the end, we're all dead anyway. Meanwhile, it is good to be willing to fight and able to win."

Comment: It is good indeed! Victory is the only reality in the universe.

/John

Think on that the next time someone attempts to sell you on cool ideas or cool gear that is not firmly grounded in the reality of what you have to expect when the time comes.

Embrace the ugly, the fundamental.

Shun the flashy and the false.
    AOK, mr.stuart, wmhawth and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

Think on that the next time someone attempts to sell you on cool ideas or cool gear that is not firmly grounded in the reality of what you have to expect when the time comes.

Great post/read! I am a huge fan of K.I.S.S. Whenever I am taking a defensive firearm class or my weekly KM classes I try and follow Dave Spaulding's 3 S's. Is what they are teaching us 1. Make sense, 2. Steet prove, 3. Simple (to perform in a high stress environment). If it fails any of the 3 S's then it is most likely not worth my time to practice said technique, tactic, or procedure.

Simple doesn't mean easy.

A well executed hook punch is simple...not easy.

A well executed trigger press which does not disrupt the aim of a handgun is simple...not easy.

Reading a situation, then getting your family to leave with you is simple...not easy.

Too many people confuse SIMPLE with EASY. They aren't.

Simple is effective.

Easy...is just easy.

Very good read. Thanks.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

AOK
    Simple doesn't mean easy.

A well executed hook punch is simple...not easy.

A well executed trigger press which does not disrupt the aim of a handgun is simple...not easy.

Reading a situation, then getting your family to leave with you is simple...not easy.

Too many people confuse SIMPLE with EASY. They aren't.

Simple is effective.

Easy...is just easy.
    A view of what is easy is often nothing more than the individuals opinion. And you are correct, simple and easy are two different things. However keeping things simple and consistent can make things EASIER and possibly even easy. Different circumstances can make simple things easy as well. That well executed right hook blindsiding a victim can be simple AND easy.

In the self defense world I view simple as using more gross motor skills rather than fine mortor skills. I practice defenses that are more consistent so I don't have a bunch of memorization. By doing these kind of steps to make things more simple, I hope (should I ever have to defend myself) it will make things EASIER and perhaps even EASY, in my eyes at least.

I could not agree more

Keep It Simple Stupid

Way too much "gucciflage" out there when it comes to both training and gear. What works is simple, to the point and often violent to the exception of popular norms. Glad to hear from someone who "get's it".

6 Feb 04

Sage and disturbing comments from a friend about the modern state of training. Much of this applies to those of us who claim to be "Gunmen" and teachers of legitimate fighting art.

"Alone, karate has the moral component of a hatchet. Good karate has the moral component of a sharp hatchet. If fools were ever to achieve the wise, moral, or improved condition they imagine to exist, they might have so much peace of mind that they could not hit hard. Of course, fools cannot hit hard in any case.

A few basic blows, practiced relentlessly, provide a better arsenal for combat than many techniques, each practiced less frequently. More techniques can be learned and practiced on a decreasing scale of utility and, probably, on an increasing scale of fun. That is, pleasure in practice; not joy celebrating victory in combat. The entertainment and exercise value of the full spectrum of any martial art is obvious, but variety does not win fights

In any fight, you must hit the first enemy first. Almost always, he is the closest one. If you drop the man immediately, that changes everything. If you do not, that also changes everything.

A fortunate karateka fights seldom if ever, but he is always a dangerous man. I intend to be one until I die.

I have no knowledge of modern karate- kickboxing, karate aerobics or whatever- and no interest in the future of the art. Denizens of modern karate "studios" apparently dance in front of mirrors while wearing shiny pants. The only competent place I have ever seen with music, mirrors, and shiny pants was a whorehouse in Nevada. "Instructors" who debase an ancient tradition and teach incompetent techniques deserve the shame of this comparison.

Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals. Popularization and overparticipation degrades karate just as their parent, overpopulation, degrades, cheapens, and probably dooms our species. In the end, we're all dead anyway. Meanwhile, it is good to be willing to fight and able to win."

Comment: It is good indeed! Victory is the only reality in the universe.

/John

VIP Member
    Mitchell and outstanding read and great advice.

Often times in the effort to make things simple, i.e. a mag change, the act is so broken down into parts, motions and instructions that it is now a complicated set of skills that is hard to understand and even harder to do.

Weapons retention is one of these that has made changes from complicated to simplistic and all for the better. Years ago someone grabbed your gun, you first trapped their hand on the gun, spun counterclockwise breaking their grip while putting them in a wristlock......Now someone grabs your gun cut him, punch him, hurt him make him let go gain distance and draw your weapon and use it against him.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

[
    MitchellCT;2102022]6 Feb 04

. The only competent place I have ever seen with music, mirrors, and shiny pants was a whorehouse in Nevada.
    AS I lived in Nevada for almost 30 years, would you care to share your experience?

In my limited martial arts experience my instructor alway told me that 'if you Master only one move" you will win 99% of the time.

The key word is "master" not just being familiar with or know that move, but to master or flawless execute that Kata everytime.

Links