Questions on Becoming an Instructor

This is a discussion on Questions on Becoming an Instructor within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be retiring from my current job in a few years, and I'm more than likely headed back to NW Oklahoma. I would like ...

Thread: Questions on Becoming an Instructor

I will be retiring from my current job in a few years, and I'm more than likely headed back to NW Oklahoma. I would like to hang out my shingle as an entry-level firearms instructor. I envision teaching the OK CWL class and being available for 1-on-1 lessons as the need arises. Other than teaching M-16 for a summer at the AF Academy and qualifying periodically on the M-9, my military experience is largely irrelevant to firearms instruction.

I love teaching, and I love firearms, so it seems like a natural combination.

I'm looking for any advice on getting started. My plan is to get my NRA Basic Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun. I would like to take MAG40 and a Suarez class or two to ensure I'm up to speed. Is there anything I should know about the NRA courses?

Any and all advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    The NRA instructor course will make for a long weekend, but really nothing difficult or tricky about it. Personally, I wish they would update the course content a bit for current relevance, but we as intructors have leeway in what we emphasize within course parameters. I enjoy instructing, as I am sure you do, too.

I've been setting up to do the same thing. You will have to take the NRA Instructors course first before your first pistol/rifle/shotgun instructor training. Many Training Counselors will offer that as day one on their instructor classes. Once you have that, the other classes follow.

If you love teaching and firearms, it's a great way to enjoy retirement.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I'd consider the NRA class as only a first step, you need a lot more than that before you're ready to teach "basic" gun handling for money. NRA teaches you to teach safely, not necessarily competently. I'd take several top flight instructors before hand to get a grasp on modern technique and then once you've mastered at least one of those instructors methods, you should take his/her instructor program.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    See Got my instructor certs the other day. for more info on this topic.

Good luck.
    NRA Instructor

Thank you, sir.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Sponsored Links