Firing from the Hip? - Page 2

Firing from the Hip?

This is a discussion on Firing from the Hip? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by samefly Does anyone actually teach this? I just started looking into firearm self defense and from what I'm seeing there are a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Firing from the Hip?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by samefly View Post
    Does anyone actually teach this? I just started looking into firearm self defense and from what I'm seeing there are a LOT of close quarters (within arms reach) scenarios. If those attacks happen so often is training to fire from the hip wise? If so, how?
    Use of the most expedient means of defending yourself is always a wise decision when your life potentially hangs in the balance..

HKinNY, hope all is well in your world.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Brownie lives!!!
    How have you been?

Sponsor
    Getting by, hope all is well in your world Matt.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

May I suggest checking out this article (you'll have to buy the mag for the full version), and then check out their website. This method is taught by "knowing" instructors and is an extremely important part of your SD repertoire, as there is a very high likelyhood that any SD encounter will occur at seven yards or less. Also, this is FUN!!! But be careful! Hope you have happy and safe training!

Tactical-Life.com EXTREME CLOSE QUARTERS SHOOTING

Precision Applications, LLC - Precision Applications
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Not as warm as yours but not a bad winter at all.

I think it is almost the same thing as point shooting. If we carry a gun for self defense, I think everyone should practice Point Shooting because most self defense situations be at close range and you may not have time to pick up your front sights, aim and shoot. Even when I had to qualify every year with my duty gun, part of the qualify round was to shoot without using the sight. Good to practice this!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Here is someone who I personally trained and spent some idea sharing with.
    Point shooting is easy to learn and maintain with very little practice.

Rayburn - Hip Shooting Video Complete - YouTube
    Was I the only one watching that, thinking "Move, d@mmit, GOTX!"?
    357and40 likes this.

Great forum!

If you are at an arm's length distance from your adversary, you will not have the luxury of shooting 2 handed due to distance constraints. At such distances, you risk having your assailant grab your handgun if you shoot 2 handed...especially if confronted by more than one assailant. Close contact shooting, or shooting from retention (count 2 of the draw) using a bladed stance is ideal at such distances. A bladed stance increases the distance between the assailant and your holstered handgun. See video below:

Close Contact Engagements (timed) - YouTube

If you're at 2 arms' lengths from your adversary(s), then you can extend the handgun more than you would when shooting from close contact distances. Again, a bladed stance is ideal. Make sure you do not over extend the handgun as that would defeat the purpose of shooting from this position/distance. I like to rest my firing elbow against my abdomen for a consistent point of reference. See video below:

Intermediate Engagements: Standard, Firing Side & Support Side - YouTube

Obviously, the above videos are drills to demonstrate the technique. You should dynamically get off the "x" and retreat to cover and you may have to shoot while doing so (transitioning to 2 handed).

Here's a video incorporating close contact, intermediate and 2 handed shooting while retreating:

Multiple Targets Varying Distances - YouTube

Whether your stance is modified Weaver or isosceles (both are equally great), IMO it behooves you to use a bladed stance at such distances. You have better balance and the distance between your holstered handgun and the assailant is increased.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i introduce all students to point shooting in the basic class

4 out of 5 take to it conceptually--can hit an IDPA cardboard at 3 yards more or less COM 3 for 5 shots

some are natural and just need some instruction to hit 8" paper plates 3 for 5 at 3 and 5 yards.
    the more you take to it, the more i can help you along. after all, it is little more than eye hand
    coordination with a gun rather than a pointed finger.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

some are natural and just need some instruction to hit 8" paper plates 3 for 5 at 3 and 5 yards.
    the more you take to it, the more i can help you along. after all, it is little more than eye hand
    coordination with a gun rather than a pointed finger.
    I'm thinking of how empowered I feel with my 1-3 yard drills.

Enter the world of "competition quick-draw artists" to get the true meaning of shooting from the hip. However, unless you're in an OC state and can carry your heater slung at lower-thigh level, it's probably a little more practical to learn "point-shooting" from concealed carry instead.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    ]Some links to point shooting by Taran Butler who is a competition shooter. I have to say not bad shooting. Just wish I could do as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rKyFDDul3LM

Taran Butler from the hip - YouTube
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Watching Grebner shoot himself had me and my partner going, "AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGG NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

No putting the finger in the trigger guard until on target!!!!

That said, a friend of mine was unholstering his revolver at home in his bedroom some years back after a patrol shift. No one else was home. As he pulled it out of the new holster, he bobbled it and it started to fall to the floor. His automatic reaction was to GRAB IT!

Boom!!! Looks around for a bullet hole. nothing...nothing...noth.... crap, is that a tuft of cotton exposed on the bed comforter???? Peels back torn cloth.... peels back comforter, peels back the sheets with holes in them.

One .357 caliber hole in the water bed later (Remember waterbeds? I do. Lucky the bullet was stopped by the water before exiting the bottom), he was on the phone trying to find a patch for that sucker and running to the stores to get new sheets, hoping to blame said hole in comforter on the dog

It happens......
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    absolutely teach and embrace "shooting from hip"

when it hits the fan you need to get rounds on target ASAP, and snapping the gun up out of the holster to get it aimed at target and getting on the trigger before you achieve that perfect sight alignment is critical to getting the BG to feel the impact of lead before you do

practice regularly, get 1-2 rounds on target before getting the sight picture/sight alignment then follow up with whats needed from there
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links