Firing from the Hip?

This is a discussion on Firing from the Hip? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone actually teach this? I just started looking into firearm self defense and from what I'm seeing there are a LOT of close quarters ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Firing from the Hip?

Firing from the Hip?

Does anyone actually teach this? I just started looking into firearm self defense and from what I'm seeing there are a LOT of close quarters (within arms reach) scenarios. If those attacks happen so often is training to fire from the hip wise? If so, how?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by samefly View Post
    Does anyone actually teach this? I just started looking into firearm self defense and from what I'm seeing there are a LOT of close quarters (within arms reach) scenarios. If those attacks happen so often is training to fire from the hip wise? If so, how?
    You mean.....

.... like this?

Legit or not. This is fun to practice. I like to set up three targets, one at 12 o'clock - 7yds, 11 o'clock 8 yards, and 9 o'clock 10 yards. And even though my mag holds 17, I only allowed myself 7+1 (to simulate my pocket carry), Then I tack balloons on the vital areas, heart and head. Then go "Collateral" on them. It's a ton of fun. And the balloons give you instant feedback as to when your target is "down".

The first time I did it I was really surprised at what I could hit from the hip. I didn't expect to hit the target at all, but I found myself popping the heart balloon quite a few times.

Take a point shooting course...well worth the time and cost.OMO
    SpencerB, Beans and Eaglebeak like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A lot of Lips fire from the Hips around here too. They ain't point shooting, but it's fun to read.

Point shooting is good too, and some excellent instructors hang out here occasionally.
    Divebum47 likes this.

Learning to shoot from retention is a good idea,in a lot of cases you may be in arms reach of a BG and extending your arm out in a traditional stance allows the BG a chance to not only deflect your gun but very likely an opportunity to disarm you.Money to take a course from a reputable Instructor is money well spent
    Secret Spuk and 64zebra like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As long as nobody Grebners themselves, it's all good. ;)
    Okemo likes this.

When training for shooting distances of 10 feet or less, I like to shoot a few strings from the hip. Although I haven't done it, Zepoll's drill explained above sounds like a good test.

You'll be surprised both by how easy it is to nail your target from the hip, and how easy it is to miss at such close quarters.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by samefly View Post
    I took a defensive handgun class which included shooting from the hip. The classes are out there. It's just a matter of finding them.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    As long as nobody Grebners themselves, it's all good. ;)

For the uninitiated.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Browies class teaches how to fire as soon as you clear the holster and keep firing as you bring your gun up. Causing a zipper effect.
    x
    x
    x
    x

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I'd recommend Roger Phillip's Point Shooting Progression class. 2 days of pure enjoyment and learning.

Suarez International Point Shooting Progressions
    Pistology likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

sgb
    Learning to fire from retention and how to shoot while indexing your sights to the target at close quarters is part of any good self defense handgun class.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Here is someone who I personally trained and spent some idea sharing with.
    Point shooting is easy to learn and maintain with very little practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOJ0nGinsM

It also works with long guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1DPC...eature=related

One of our forum members, Guantes developed this technique for "drawing and firing against an aggressor who is threatening you with a firearm that is pointed at you". This is for real:
    Drawing Against The Drop (DATD)
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

VIP Member
    Before I retired from law enforcement our department taught what is called close combat drills within the 3 and 7 yard range with live firings at the firing range in both daylight and night firing along with the blink technique to avoid flash blindness. From my work experiences in the metro the critical moment is the first 1 to 2 seconds in getting ur weapon out and on target firing center mass to bend the actor over to deflect his possible fired rounds away from his target ( you ). All this happens in that 1 to 2 second time frame usually. This is why depts and officers usually like revolvers and pistols such as glocks so as to not have a safety to slow down a response time. A safety can in fact get u killed, uniformed officers with exposed holstered weapons have to be aware of weapon retention practices at all times. However this is another story as to why I approve of the ccw weapon over open carry for citizens. Don't show ur cards is what I believe, don't evershow anyone ur hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links