Range mishap has me rethinking BUG. Your thoughts? - Page 2

Range mishap has me rethinking BUG. Your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Range mishap has me rethinking BUG. Your thoughts? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Ain't this about the truth? Never felt that uncomfortable going about my daily business that I desired to carry 2 guns. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Range mishap has me rethinking BUG. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Ain't this about the truth? Never felt that uncomfortable going about my daily business that I desired to carry 2 guns. If I did, I would just stay home behind locked doors, and shut the blinds.
    Do you carry spare mags for your solo gun?

If so, I would suggest that you'd be better off forgetting about carrying the spare mags, and carrying a small, light BUG instead. One of the main reasons I carry a BUG is for off-hand (weak side) access, or in case of injury to my primary hand/arm.

If you can carry spare mags, you can carry a small BUG.

The idea that folks who carry a BUG are paranoid is somewhat laughable, as that is the very same thing that anti-gunners say about those of us who carry a sidearm at all..."Whaddaya need a gun for? You scared or sumfin?"
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    your event is a good reason to think about having a BUG

but i am more of the thought that i have a secondary gun because life comes at you fast and from many directions.
    having a second gun ( for me its a j-frame in my coat or vest pocket on the left side) allows you choices in how you may respond
    should something happen
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Well, 10thmtn, this is another one of those philosophical differences we have at times.
    I am just not that concerned with it to carry around a bunch of crap everyday. When off duty, I don't even carry a spare magazine most of the time.

I guess I am different than some folks with regard to these matters. I have been packing iron and plastic for many years, and seen my fair share of incidents, on both sides of the law.
    I'm just not worried about what ifs, and hypothetical scenarios.

I guess if I am attacked by mass numbers of Mutant Ninja zombie warriors from hell, and I run out of bullets, have a malfunction that I can't clear, then I might just have to think of something else.
    Who wants to live forever anyway?
    Chesafreak likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My two cents is you should do whatever makes you feel more secure or comfortable. Decisions on what or how to carry are only based on some facts or training, the rest is how it makes us feel.

Here's an example: I know I am better protected by carrying my Glock 23 IWB than my LCP in my pocket holster. In some of my clothing I don't want to carry the Glock, not because I can't conceal it, but because every time I move I am reminded that I'm carrying. While this may be reassuring to some, it makes me feel better to have an LCP in my pocket that I can almost forget I'm carrying.

I know that I just haven't spent enough time carrying the G23 to get comfortable enough to forget about it. That's hard to do when 5 days a week I go to work in a place with a "no weapons" policy. If I leave work to walk down the block, its much easier to stop by my car and drop the LCP in my pocket than to undo my belt and pants to fumble with my Crossbreed Supertuck. If someone were to see me do that in the parking garage I would hear about it at work.

My whole point is that you should do what makes you feel better whether anyone else agrees or not.

A BUG isn't a bad idea if you can fit it into your life.

Even good quality weapons (even revolvers) and ammo can and do malfunction.

Sometimes **** just happens and there ain't nuttin we we can do to stop it, no matter what we have done to prepare.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Sometimes you can run into trouble when you least expect it, but there's a limit to what you can do to prepare. I don't carry a spare set of brake shoes in my glove box. I do inspect the brakes occasionally and cross my fingers. Some pilots say a little prayer on takeoff. I do after landing. I can't afford to drive my Abrams to the Quick Stop. Other than lots of holster wear, I try to keep my 8 shot 45 and carry mags in pristine condition with a moderate round count. I beat up similar guns and mags on the range. I can reload my EDC as fast as I can get my BUG out. Most guns will get off at least one shot. Make sure it's in the right place.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy82 View Post
    Get a revolver...problem solved

They jam also.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, 10thmtn, this is another one of those philosophical differences we have at times.
    I am just not that concerned with it to carry around a bunch of crap everyday. When off duty, I don't even carry a spare magazine most of the time.

I guess I am different than some folks with regard to these matters. I have been packing iron and plastic for many years, and seen my fair share of incidents, on both sides of the law.
    I'm just not worried about what ifs, and hypothetical scenarios.

I guess if I am attacked by mass numbers of Mutant Ninja zombie warriors from hell, and I run out of bullets, have a malfunction that I can't clear, then I might just have to think of something else.
    Who wants to live forever anyway?
    No prob - it's all good.

The way I look at it - a LCP with a pocket holster is no larger than a wallet - lighter in weight than some Costanza wallets, too. It takes almost zero effort to carry one as a BUG (or "secondary," or "alternate," or whatever folks want to call a spare gun). Really, I cannot think of a reason not to have one.

I'm certainly not advocating carrying around two Glock 17s - that's a bit over the top, IMHO.

I have a wife and two kids who are completely dependent upon me for support. So, I'm perhaps a little less willing to say "it's just my time to go" if my gun malfs, or I get injured in my primary hand, or cannot get to my primary due to body position, or my primary runs out of ammo, or whatever.

No harm, no foul. But as far as the OP goes - yup, I'd say get a spare gun and carry it on your off side.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Mr. Murphy seems to be my co-pilot. Murphy's Law always seems to muck up the works whenever I least expect it regardless of what situation or task I'm doing. I have carried a BUG for years because I always plan for Murphy showing up at the least opportune moments. I call it, "The Murphy Factor."

If there's ever going to be a time when Mr. Murphy is going to screw things up, (and the absolute worst time to have him show up) it's going to be during a fight for your life.

I carry hi-capacity semi-auto's with spare magazines as my primary weapon, and I carry a BUG with a spare magazine to take care of "The Murphy Factor."

Having a back-up gun available is a good idea for a whole variety of reasons other than just having a catastrophic failure of your primary weapon. Having a second gun allows you to arm a fellow good guy in a sticky situation who otherwise would have been unarmed. Also in certain situations, retrieving a second gun may be quicker than performing a reload. Also, if you are ambush attacked and struggling with a bad guy hands-on, it may be easier to retrieve your back-up gun than getting to your primary weapon.

Mr. Murphy shows up often enough that I now always plan for "The Murphy Factor" as part of all my routine preparations whether it has to do with personal safety or other aspects of life's daily routines.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I often wonder how many guys who say they carry a second gun at all times really do.

I carry a second gun on vacation in veical not on me. As for the OP it was the ammo & I do carry a spare mag somtimes, as the weak part of any semi auto is the mag JMO ; )PS I carry quality ammo
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy82 View Post
    Get a revolver...problem solved
    THANK YOU GUN GUY, you took the words right out of my mouth...get a revolver and practice with it and it will never fail you. There are so many models and sizes to consider and those airweights and scandium j frames are hard to beat for pocket or inside the pant carry. here folks, you watch this guy and tell me he needs a semi..just shows you can do anything you work at....Worlds Fastest Shooter -- 8 rounds in 1 second - YouTube
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    They jam also.
    Come on...........the last time my revolver jammed was the night I hit Powerball. Can it happen, yeah, but you darn well know that is a rare occurence compared to semi's

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I often wonder how many guys who say they carry a second gun at all times really do.
    If I'm carrying one XD, 98-99% of the time there is 2. I like the feel of a balanced load, I carry them mirror AIWB. Most of the time that I don't carry 2 is around the house. As of this minute I'm armed with 2 XDsc. If for what ever reason I can't carry them I pocket carry a LCP but feel undergunned the whole time.

6 days a week from the time I get up until about 3pm I am unarmed as my work frowns of being armed. Can't even carry in my jeep going or coming as its considered their vehicle from the time I leave home until I get back home. Jobs are hard to get so think I'll try to keep mine.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Probably the same percentage that exaggerate how many rounds they put down range a week and how often they really practice real world scenarios
    Chad Rogers likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links