How to carry - the Utility Belt method?

This is a discussion on How to carry - the Utility Belt method? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've tried all sorts of carry methods from 5.11 underarm velcro pocket stretch shirts - great for Summer and Winter, to IWB, OWB under the ...

Thread: How to carry - the Utility Belt method?

I've tried all sorts of carry methods from 5.11 underarm velcro pocket stretch shirts - great for Summer and Winter, to IWB, OWB under the belt, kydex, leather, snapped, flapped, retention, pocket and here's what I'm doing now.

I have my home defense gun (lost in a tragic boating accident) in a snapped leather holster, on a webbed belt, with flashlight, spare ammo pouch, hearing protex, spare 911 cell phone, binoculars, pepper spray, buckled and hanging by the bed. I can easily reach the firearm, I remove it and put it under the headboard on a headboard shelf (out of visual range for strangers) when I retire or nap. In the event of a problem I can grab the gun and put the webbed belt on my shoulder - all my gear is there IF I have time to use it, but not spread around the room.

I'm now carrying my BUG in a fanny pack, oriented to the appendix carry, cross-draw with camera and cell-phone clipped on and keys. When I go out I put this on every time. So I'm always armed. Sometimes, I'll put a main carry firearm in a holster, holster shirt. But I live in a very safe part of town in a safe area, and my partner carries a revolver. So two guns all the time, one a .380, one a .357 magnum. We rarely separate but have cellphones and use them like walkie-talkies if needed. This elevates my carry to 18/7 hours per day without fail. It also means I have my camera, pepper spray, cell phone and a spare mag on me at all times.

If I need to I can unzip the fanny pack and shoot through the side of the pack (I just orient and try to shoot from point-blank range, I figure).

It keeps me from having to always have a thick belt and tac pants on. I can be wearing swim trunks and still be armed.

IMO, (in progress) the best mode of carry is ubiquitous, all-purpose, fits every event. YES a BG can cut your fanny pack strap and take your stuff (I carry the permit there, wallet elsewhere). You can buy a fanny pack with a cut-resistant wire embedded in it.

Thoughts?

Don't forget your keys to the batmobile. Just kidding. Your method seems a bit extreme to me. I prefer the grey man theory. I don't like attracting attention to myself with things like a fanny pack. Tactical clothing or anything else that screams "gun". I carry a full sized glock on a standard gun belt. I have oc is my support pocket. Blade in my strong side pocket I carry a spare mag in my support back pocket. As far as at home I have quick access to my glock. And then my hd shotgun. If you wake me up from a nap you set a gun not oc. I carry daily and nothing about my dress or carry method draws extra attention to myself. I always scan the crowds I am in and look out for "the guy to take out first if shtf". I am sure the BGs do that too. Being an armed prepared civilian is not about being batman,But about going about your daily business.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Links