Understanding Retention Position

This is a discussion on Understanding Retention Position within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by claude clay [F]or me there would be no draw and retention problems.... Pocket carry might mitigate the draw & retention issues but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Understanding Retention Position

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    [F]or me there would be no draw and retention problems....
    Pocket carry might mitigate the draw & retention issues but it does nothing for the 'keeping conscious & on my feet' problem. Getting bullets on the bad guy is great but it doesn't do anything to stop the impact that he started. If I could shoot the bad guy once before his fist crashed into my skull, that is small comfort and unlikely to have any significant effect on the outcome. I've still been hit, am seeing tweety birds, am falling to the ground under his onslaught. This sucks for me.

We have to have the physical skills to keep us conscious and on our feet, to start damaging the aggressor, to allow us enough control of the situation to access our tools and, then, must have a method to direct & employ those tools all while dealing with the pressure that the bad dude is attempting to apply to us.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gomez View Post
    Pocket carry might mitigate the draw & retention issues but it does nothing for the 'keeping conscious & on my feet' problem. Getting bullets on the bad guy is great but it doesn't do anything to stop the impact that he started. If I could shoot the bad guy once before his fist crashed into my skull, that is small comfort and unlikely to have any significant effect on the outcome. I've still been hit, am seeing tweety birds, am falling to the ground under his onslaught. This sucks for me.

We have to have the physical skills to keep us conscious and on our feet, to start damaging the aggressor, to allow us enough control of the situation to access our tools and, then, must have a method to direct & employ those tools all while dealing with the pressure that the bad dude is attempting to apply to us.
    well said and exactly why i rate SA above having the gun. of course i would rather have both but there are time when we are in locations that forbid us posession of that tool.
    but the greater tool--our mind, stays with us ( most of us...) all the time. and being Situationally aware, observant, allows one to act regarding a situation, or as one unfolds--to modify it.
    it is better to avoid a problem than to seek an answer to it.
    those words "i never saw him/it coming" mean they were not paying attention to their place in their environment.
    though getting hit by a meteorite is a legitimate time to say that.

to all students i recommend at least a 6 month class in a martial arts that appeals to them. learn to move, fall, take a hit and keep in the game.
    even how you stand when relaxed determins somehat your range of motion--your ability to react.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links