Pistol Ready Positions

This is a discussion on Pistol Ready Positions within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, guys, here's a video looking at the pro's & cons of various pistol ready positions. There are several recurring themes you'll notice in my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul Gomez

Thread: Pistol Ready Positions

August 19, 1970 - June 2012

Pistol Ready Positions

Alright, guys, here's a video looking at the pro's & cons of various pistol ready positions. There are several recurring themes you'll notice in my videos. One of them is the idea of retaining the gun in a physical encounter. This plays into where and how I manipulate the gun for reloads. This plays into how I move with the gun. And, surprise, surprise, plays into where I position the gun when I am not in the act of shooting. Hope ya'll find it interesting.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice, as always. We prefer muzzle down "Sul" for retention and clearing purposes, keeping the frame as close to flush against the torso as possible to maintain that "safety circle". You make some great points though. As a point of instruction on retention I always bring up the "Teddy Bear" principle- that anything that is really important to you, you are going to hold it as close to your center as possible. Anyone who doubts that should go try to take away their small child's favorite toy... "NO! MINE!"
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

Quote Originally Posted by ISR MATRIX View Post
    As a point of instruction on retention I always bring up the "Teddy Bear" principle- that anything that is really important to you, you are going to hold it as close to your center as possible. Anyone who doubts that should go try to take away their small child's favorite toy... "NO! MINE!"
    LMAO...I call it '5 Year Old Kung Fu'. Same idea, same 'Mine!'

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Paul,

Is there a reason you role your shoulders and hunch your back? Seems to be unnatural.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Is there a reason you role your shoulders and hunch your back? Seems to be unnatural.
    While better shooting can be done maintaining a relaxed posture, that's not how we react to stress. We tend to square to the known/perceived threat and Pickup the shoulders and Tuck the chin. Also, depending on range, we either push away [extend our hands & arms] or coil up & pull our arms back into our body, hands up. These innate responses tie directly in to being able to physically protect/defend yourself.

I think it is very important that people learn to work through the muscular tension that occurs rather than try and mitigate that tension utilizing techniques that aren't likely to be available in the moment. And that we allow our self defense skills to piggyback off of these behaviors rather than attempt to inculcate a foreign response into an already complex and difficult situation.
    DRM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gomez View Post
    I think it is very important that people learn to work through the muscular tension that occurs rather than try and mitigate that tension utilizing techniques that aren't likely to be available in the moment. And that we allow our self defense skills to piggyback off of these behaviors rather than attempt to inculcate a foreign response into an already complex and difficult situation.
    Good point Paul. To many instructors IMO forget this...

Links