For all of you who use a Laser

This is a discussion on For all of you who use a Laser within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where do you sight your dot in at? At first I sighted my M6X in to be dead on at the 21' mark, but then ...

Thread: For all of you who use a Laser

Where do you sight your dot in at? At first I sighted my M6X in to be dead on at the 21' mark, but then I realized that this had problems, when beyond the set point the dot was high on target and the further away the more this was amplified. So I reset mine to be square with the slide so basically the dot is always 2 1/2 " low WRT where the bullet impact point is, it is easy to compensate for this, now 10' or 100' the impact point is the same other than bullet drop, which is a product of range.
    Any thoughts on how you sight yours in?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Assistant Administrator
    I use 21' as a base line - and that is with CT's. The parallax is there at other ranges but for my purposes it does I feel cover me well enough from close up, out to maybe 15 yards plus - combat ranges if you will. POI change is not enough for me to worry about, seeing as shots will be pretty fast anyways.

With new ones I have set my laser spot dead on iron sight picture at about 20' - and found this to be very close to actual in the field.

At last year's IDPA night shoot I used the laser to good effect at various distances. This was CT's on my SIG.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I use a LaserMax on the Glock 21.

It is sighted dead on at 25 yards. Since its about 3/4 below the bore, that puts me around 1" low at 50 yards.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Have a lasermax on my glock...not adjustable sighting, but is so close to the bore it hits dead on every time. IMO it acts like my iron sights; over distance the bullet will drop wether I use my iron or laser sight and I just naturally learn to compensate for distances. Though for my use, shooting beyond 25 yards becomes more of a liability for CCW purposes.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Shooting off a rest, slow fire, the Lasermax in my Glock 19 is more accurate than the sights. If I hold it well, it will shoot the red dot at 20'. The +/- from that as the range changes simply doesn't matter in any practical sense.

The sights will group about an inch low and a tiny bit to the right shooting off a rest. I'm going to get the azimuth corrected, nothing I can do about the elevation. Frankly, the sights are close enough for self defense, but I want to correct them for Action Pistol Competition. An inch low at 20' translates to more than 3" low at 75', which is almost to the edge of the steel plate with a perfect center hold.

That said, I have found in comparisons of performance in Action Pistol Shooting (not combat, but it "is" shooting experience) I score "much" higher with the sights than with the laser, especially on the moving target, and especially as distances increase.

At the range, at 9', rapid fire, my groups are a "lot" smaller with the sights, all over the paper with the laser. To get the same size group with the laser I have to use the isocelese stance just like with the sights.

Near as i can tell, the laser is a useful tool, especially for odd situations like shooting around a corner weak handed, and in home defense scenarios where it "might" have some intimidation effect, but if you can use the sights, they are better. Having decided that for myself, YMMV, I only devote one clip ouot of my usual 200 rounds to practicing with the laser at the range, the rest are spent on practice with the sights.

Fitch

I think people loose the concept that just because there is a laser on a target doesn't mean the bullet is going to hit there no matter what. I have noticed that people (mainly new to lasers) will forget about trigger control and just start slapping it thinking that the bullet has a homing device or something.

Everybody starts out on irons sights and has become familar with the muscle memory needed for that sight picture, but that has to be relearned with the sight picture of using lasers.

One of the greatest advantages of lasers is the universal language of "I mean bussiness."
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Sponsored Links