Carrying with one in the pipe?

This is a discussion on Carrying with one in the pipe? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been practicing draw techniques and although I can bring my weapon to bear quicker with one in the pipe, it only takes an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying with one in the pipe?

Carrying with one in the pipe?

I have been practicing draw techniques and although I can bring my weapon to bear quicker with one in the pipe, it only takes an instant for me to rake one in on the way up. Takes approx. 1 second longer to rake one in drawing from a side paddle holster.

I carry a Glock26, as you know trigger safety only. Would it be a more reasonable/safe way to carry it?

J.S.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I have been practicing draw techniques and although I can bring my weapon to bear quicker with one in the pipe, it only takes an instant for me to rake one in on the way up. Takes approx. 1 second longer to rake one in drawing from a side paddle holster.

I carry a Glock26, as you know trigger safety only. Would it be a more reasonable/safe way to carry it?

J.S.
    Keep it loaded and ready to go. Otherwise, it's a glorified club. If I'm within 10 feet of you and you have to rack...I'm going to gut and fillet you in that 1 second or less! As long as you remember that the best safety is between your ears you shouldn't have any worries. Just make sure you're holster covers the trigger/trigger guard so you don't snag on your clothes etc...

Assistant Administrator
    We have two or three threads on just this - and the overpowering opinion is to keep one in the pipe. A search may yield one or more of these.

One second - if poop hits the whirly thing, is way too much time needed. The important thing is to get comfortable and 100% familiar with the gun and its manual of arms - which will include draw technique and total adherence to rule #3. ... as well of course as the other rules.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post

J.S.
    In a word, No....
    You do have options though....
    Purchase a hg you feel safe carrying....
    Train with the GLOCK until you feel safe with it...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

If you are not going to keep it loaded, then I would suggest not carrying it. Because it is stressful enough to think about pulling it when its ready, let alone trying to remember to rack the slide. This places you in a situation to get killed.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Always keep one in the chamber!

You may not have the ability or the time to chamber a round. Keep in mind; you need both hands to rack one into the chamber quickly. You may need your weak hand as a way to block an attack while drawing with your strong hand.

Practice a one handed draw and fire while keeping the gun as close to you as you can (start practicing w/it unloaded until you master it, then do live fire practice at the range). This will give you the best control over your gun in a CQC (close quarters combat) type situation. It minimizes the time it takes to draw and fire, lets you keep better retention of the gun, and also frees up your weak hand and arm to be used as needed.

I am not saying that you will use this in every situation, but it is very useful if someone is charging you or is already very close. And as most shootings are at very close range, you may find this technique useful.

Hope this helps, Joe

You can do it if both hands are available to you. Want to try it if your weak side hand is "out of service". Like if you have your arm caught in someone's car window and they are attempting to drag you into the next county (like more than a few LEO's have had happen). What if you are trying to hold your front door closed until you can bring your weapon to bear?

Simple solution. Since you don't know if or when something similar to the above might happen, just keep it loaded. If you are worried about the safety of your weapon in this condition then you should consider another weapon.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

I have only been in one situation where I felt I had time to rack the slide. -and THEN that would have given away my position and possibly have gotten me shot.

When I was NEW to CCW I carried without one in the pipe because I was uncomfortable. THEN I carried with one in the pipe and safety ON.

After a month or two I was comfortable to carry one 1 in the pipe - safety OFF. (DA)

Under pressure, will the round jam while you're trying to chamber it?

Suppose it's pouring down rain. Will your hand slip on the slide and not chamber the round? Will you have time to "try it again"?

By not carrying a round in the chamber, you are giving up one round you MIGHT need later.

Don't do anything you are not comfortable with, but I don't see "handicapping yourself" and giving the BG a better chance than he already has.
    Last edited by John Wesley; August 21st, 2006 at 06:07 PM.

I guess I'm not taking into account being ambushed like in that Las Vegas video.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The less you have to use fine motor skills the better in a condition red situation.

There is no need to complicate matters by adding a lengthy and potentially deadly step into the equation, especially when carrying one in the pipe has proven to be overwhelmingly safe, provided that you keep that fact in mind.
    Fear No Evil.

One in the pipe always, even if you have time to rack one you are increasing the chance of a misfeed, jamming or other problem. Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen on the second round but at least you have a first.
    I figure if it can't be moved, pressed, switched, operated, or manipulated with one finger you want to address it before something happens and you need it to work. The whole thing could end in the second it takes to rack the slide.

It realy depends on how safe and comfortable you feel with your fire arm. In my opinion one in the pipe is the only way to go.......

Quote Originally Posted by afeazell21 View Post
    It realy depends on how safe and comfortable you feel with your fire arm. In my opinion one in the pipe is the only way to go.......
    My opinion is if you don't feel 100% safe and comfortable with ANY firearm, you shouldn't carry it. Hesitation and doubt is what a BG will take advantage of vs. you.
    I'm always chambered because I am sure most BG's are also.

+1, one in the pipe.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I feel that it is more complicated than simply adding one second to your first shot time.

You have the average time added. In a controlled environment,at the range,it might add one second. Do this 50 times and see what the average time is. Also keep track of what your longest time is. With the "fumble factor" it could be closer to two seconds. Also the safety factor during the "fumble". Racking the slide on a Glock(or a 1911) is just one more thing that you DON'T need to do during times of stress.

Also.........try to rack the slide of your Glock ..with one hand. 'nuff said.

Practice safety with a rd. chambered(as you would a revo) and you will be ok.--------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links