A Stoppage Reduction Overview...Tap, Rack...

This is a discussion on A Stoppage Reduction Overview...Tap, Rack... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Clint's video is a must watch for anyone serious about combative pistol work. theskunk, Exactly. It only takes one rep to figure that out when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Stoppage Reduction Overview...Tap, Rack...

Clint's video is a must watch for anyone serious about combative pistol work.

theskunk,

Exactly. It only takes one rep to figure that out when you have a bad guy closing on you with a blade and you have a FTE/DF. We have had many people say beforehand that they would never drop or throw their pistol but in the right (or wrong) circumstances, you'd be amazed at what becomes "reasonable".
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ISR MATRIX View Post
    Clint's video is a must watch for anyone serious about combative pistol work.

theskunk,

Exactly. It only takes one rep to figure that out when you have a bad guy closing on you with a blade and you have a FTE/DF. We have had many people say beforehand that they would never drop or throw their pistol but in the right (or wrong) circumstances, you'd be amazed at what becomes "reasonable".
    Some more food for thought...

Louis Awerbuck Pro-Tip: Close Quarters / Two-Gun Carry - YouTube

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Here is the best malfunction presentation I've ever seen.
    Clint and I disagree on a couple of points. Namely, the position of the gun during manipulations and the viability of placing themagazine between the pinky and ring finger of the gun hand when dealing with unloading the pistol.

His method certainly works but I think it is artificially weighted towards having a 'downrange'/safe direction and assumes the bad guy will always maintain distance and not attempt to engage us in a fight over the gun.

On the double feed, note that Clint asks rhetorically, why lock the slide? Good question huh.
    On this point, I wholeheartedly agree. For decades it has been taught that you must lock the slide to the rear prior to removing the magazine to address the Failure To Extract/Type III/Double Feed. That is nonsense Always has been.

Thanks for the reply to my post Paul. I think Clint's presentation on malfunctions is the gold standard based on manner of presentation. Sure the content is there, but it's his delivery and examples with multiple pistols that make his pitch. Your disagreements with Clint are certainly valid. There is plenty of maneuvering room for such differences among instructors.

As to not not locking the slide back when dealing with a double feed, Clint is about the only instructor I know suggesting this. I have to to go with Clint here. I've heard some suggest that locking the slide back makes removing the magazine easier. I think it adds an unnecessary step to a critical procedure. I'm happy to hear you agree with Clint on this point.

Again, thanks for your reply and thanks for making your videos available to us on this forum.

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    As to not not locking the slide back when dealing with a double feed, Clint is about the only instructor I know suggesting this. I have to to go with Clint here. I've heard some suggest that locking the slide back makes removing the magazine easier. I think it adds an unnecessary step to a critical procedure.
    I'm sitting in a Chik Fil A waiting for some work to be finished on my Jeep [not at the Chik Fil A ;)], so I've got a bit of time.

The idea of bypassing the Lock phase of Lock, Rip, Work in the training community has a bumpy history due to some really oddball approaches. For instance, I've seen it taught in the following ways.

1)As a 'Glock specific' solution. In other words, that it only works with Glocks.

2)Unseat the mag (keeping it in the gun), Slide snaps forward, Reseat Magazine. [Only works when you set up a FTE with a live round and then shoot that live round once the slide locks forward!]

3)Push the mag release. Manipulate slide multiple times until the mag falls out, slide snaps forward and round is extracted. Reload.

Each of these were, I think, recognition of the need to speed up the process of dealing with a Failure to Extract but none of these were very satisfactory, broad spectrum solutions. Personally, I like the simplicity of Rip, Rack [x3], Reload. I follow the same procedure when I have both hands available as when I have only one hand [the details change but the process is the same]

To this day, it is still far more common to see Lock, Rip, Work, Reload as the standard method of addressing the Failure to Extract. In some corners, the one-size-fits-all Immediate Action is Unload the Gun Completely, Reload the Gun, but that seems to be a violation of Einstein's Dictum...'Things should be made as simple as necessary but no simpler.' ;)

Excellent Video. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links