A Stoppage Reduction Overview...Tap, Rack...

This is a discussion on A Stoppage Reduction Overview...Tap, Rack... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the video, I go over both the Diagnostic and NonDiagnostic approaches to dealing with a failure to fire. Stoppage Reductions By Gomez-Training.com The article ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Stoppage Reduction Overview...Tap, Rack...

August 19, 1970 - June 2012

In the video, I go over both the Diagnostic and NonDiagnostic approaches to dealing with a failure to fire.

Stoppage Reductions By Gomez-Training.com

The article below deals strictly with the NonDiagnostic model

Any interruption in the cycle of functioning is a ‘stoppage’. By this definition, an empty gun is a stoppage, no round in the chamber is a stoppage, a primer that fails to ignite results in a stoppage, a failure of the slide to go into battery is a stoppage, etc, etc.

Using a nondiagnostic model, all of these issues are addressed with a single skillset. Any ‘failure to go bang’ results in the gun being drawn back to a physical reference point [gun hand elbow indexed on torso, muzzle up, mag well turned in towards centerline, ejection port out], the mag base is struck to ensure that it is properly seated and the offhand continues its’ motion to end up grasping the slide, at the cocking serrations, and fully running the slide to the rear and releasing it at that point. If it is determined that the gun is at slide lock, a reload is conducted. Next, a proper two handed grip is established at Count Three of drawstroke and the weapon is driven straight to threat, shooting if needed.

In pic one, the gun is at extension, trigger has been pressed and there was no ‘bang’.

Pic Two, gun is returned to physical reference point previously described and the base of the magazine is ‘Tapped’ to ensure it is fully locked into place.

Slide is racked in the third picture.

Two handed grasp of the gun is reestablished and the gun is being driven back to appropriate extension.

Well done video! Sound is a little off?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I usually try not to be too critical of other peoples post, but did you make this video after 1 class at Gunsite? Please take a lot more before you go on to instruct others.

Some relevant background on Paul Gomez:

Gomez8136's Channel - YouTube

Nice video Paul.....I fully agree with you on non-diagnostic method
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by gschoelles View Post
    I usually try not to be too critical of other peoples post, but did you make this video after 1 class at Gunsite? Please take a lot more before you go on to instruct others.
    Nope. I got this really cool comic book with my red Glock. :)

VIP Member
    Good points, Paul. I also prefer the non-diagnostic model (actually, I didn't know it was called that).

As you inferred, the only downside is that I'll clear the firearm so reflexively, that afterwards I'll have no idea what kind of failure it was. Great for survival, bad for detecting problems with ammo or the gun.

I prefer survival.

Please explain what you mean...Please.....
    Paul Gomez likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Sound is a little off?
    Indeed! This was one of the first videos that I shot for YouTube. It started raining and we were forced to move indoors. The mountain house was under construction so between the bare rooms, unfinished cement floors and standing in the corner the sound quality was pretty bad.

Here's a related video discussing Positioning of the Gun for Reloads. I talk about the virtues of working with the gun kept closer the body and with an elevated muzzle as opposed to keeping it aimed in or at Low Ready.

And, gschoelles, I have no idea what you are getting at. Feel free to elucidate.

Administrator
    I'm confident that Paul fully intends to follow your highly qualified and incredibly helpful & expert advice and I'm absolutely certain that he will be sure to take (at the very least) one or two more Gunsite classes before attempting to make any more instructional Videos.

Harryball and Paul Gomez like this.

gschoelles,

That comes from.... where exactly? Paul has put a lot of effort into posting solid info on this board. If you disagree, say so and please explain your point. You might have people agree with you... and you would not look like one of those hygenic nozzle things the ladies use.

In any case, Paul's comic book response was perfect.
    Paul Gomez and First Sgt like this.
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I have trained a little under Paul, and I have seen him in some measure of training instructor mode. He is more competent and capable in the realm of firearms instruction than are many who have a nice, shiny shingle out there. He has my respect.
    Paul Gomez and QKShooter like this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

gschoelles,

Being and instructor myself, I find it interesting that you or anyone else for that matter would make a remark such as yours. By the way, I see by your profile that you are an instructor. What are your credentials? Where is your training site? Is this how you teach?

Think about it for a second.

Was the information presented faulty? No, in fact the teaching here might just save someone's life. Maybe even yours.

Were you required to watch it? No. That is why there is a pause button. Simply turn it off and move on.

If you disagree with the video you have an interesting way of correcting erroneous teaching. Based on your EXCELLENT post you must have volumes of personally created documents refuting him. I have seen people disagree and provide an antithesis refuting an opinion, and have some healthy discussion but quite frankly, you have offered nothing of value.

You have an interesting way of being a part of a forum. Based on your BS post to this thread, and the fact that you make a shot and then disappear, if the other 20 posts are anything like this one, why are you here?

I may not agree with everything an instructor says, and am sure that people don't agree with everything I say. That is fine. That is why there are multiple stances, grips, gun manufacturers,and calibers. James Yeager says that in his opinion, every gun should be a Glock, every Glock should be a 9MM, and every 9Mm should be a model 19. I may or may not agree but I'm sure not going to slam him for his belief or teaching.

I apologize to the members here for the rant, but quite frankly, we could do well without this manure. Moderators, if this is inappropriate, do with it what you will.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

How to handle a 'Double Feed'

a ...... Throw your gun at the assailant's face

b ....... Pull out your back up pistol

Here is the best malfunction presentation I've ever seen:

On the double feed, note that Clint asks rhetorically, why lock the slide? Good question huh.
    OD* likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links