Underloading Mags When Practicing

This is a discussion on Underloading Mags When Practicing within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I don't know if this is a new idea, or whether it's even a good idea. However, I got this idea the other ...

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hi All,

I don't know if this is a new idea, or whether it's even a good idea. However, I got this idea the other night falling asleep and decided to put it into practice.

When practicing I load my 15 round mags with five or 10 rounds just to keep a number easily multiplied into 100, the number of rounds I usually shoot at a time.

This has an added bonus: Those in gunfights usually shoot more than what they think they have, and I'm therefore forced to reload more often.

I count my rounds though, and it gets predictable. This even carried over (as I believe it should have) in the one instance I had to fire in self-defense. (I shot three rounds in seemingly slow motion. My peripheral vision picked up the brass sloooowly flying through the air to hit the side of the travel trailer.)

Because it's so danged predicable, I fired a round of mags (30 shells expended) then reloaded with five each. While I usually stick to five or ten per magazine per session, depending on available ammo, this was different. I talked to my parents for a few minutes, losing my focus as I intended, and went out "expecting" to have ten rounds per mag.

The drill was to back up while shooting the targets: five 1/2 gallon milk jugs, from left to right, then back up and engage the target from my EFMJ report as it wasn't too shot up yet.

I started the the drill about 15 ft away from the milk jugs. I knocked 3/5 over on the first pass (though to be fair, one was hit and didn't go over, thus still "alive.") I was then out of rounds in that mag... and it surprised me. My "autopilot" was still set for 10 rounds for today, so I fumbled out an acceptable reload in less than two seconds, made a second pass, hit the one I missed with two shots and put three into the stubborn one, whereupon it went down.

I then backpedaled as I dropped that mag and inserted the last one. I hit my good friend the cardboard guy with all five but "he" failed to go down. I was out of ammo and therefore declared myself "dead," though I also played my "backup rifleman" after the pistol was reloaded with my carry ammo and I decided to engage Mr. Cardboard with my Romanian training rifle. Two to the head and "he" fell.

Next session I will vary the number in each magazine, perhaps 9, 4, and 7 rounds just to mix things up a bit. I want the range session as unpredicable as possible.

Does anyone else do this, or is this a first? Good idea, bad idea?

Josh <><

I shoot a drill designed to train out-of-battery reloads.

In-battery reloads are performed prior to drills to ensure I have sufficient ammunition on-board to complete the drill. Additional out-of-battery reloads are performed any time the slide locks to the rear.

I am more focused on shooting than counting rounds so anticipating reloads is not a problem.

Assistant Administrator
    ''Ball and dummy'' is good too - not in this case for training newbs about flinch - but to introduce the need for clearance drills, albeit simply racking.

One or two inert rounds in a mag - loaded in advance or by a buddy - and it is extra pressure to the drills.

Last practice session I had with a buddy - we were doing mostly singles and pairs - but with large cap mags it meant that we went to slidelock a few times - which comes as almost unexpected so - a need to have to reload within a string of shots.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links