Call me a wimp if you want!

This is a discussion on Call me a wimp if you want! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yup your a wimp alright. I have trip in mind with my son, but I have to wait until he is out school so I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Call me a wimp if you want!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Yup your a wimp alright.

I have trip in mind with my son, but I have to wait until he is out school so I am thinking it will be late May or early June weather should be nice. I need to nail him down on dates and make him invest money so it stays on the priority list.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Wimp?
    More like you are in tune with your common sense.

My last 4 Gun Fighting Courses were all in mild weather or cold weather with no rain. As the folks say "Bring Clothing for the Conditions that may be present". I do that including checking the weather forecast for the location for the previous week and the days of the training. I have not missed up yet, but the year is young. Training in late March 2012. I do not see issues yet, but the forecast may and will change.....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Administrator
    You'll be sorry. Forget Global Warming we're headed into a new Ice Age.

I guess I'm a wimp. Went to range last Friday afternoon it was empty thought great nobody's around. Range is located 1/4 mile from lake Michigan. It was a balmy 4 degrees wind from the NW 5-7 mph. I froze my butt off! lasted 25 minutes frostbite on the tips of 3 of my 5 right hand fingers. Fingers very sore for about 2-3 days. I'll wait until the indoor range opens in Green Bay. No more practice in low single digit temperatures.

I would at the very least fire your gun in Cold weather to make sure the lubricant you use doesn't gum up and cause a malfunction.I use to duck and goose hunt,saw a buddies Remington 1100 cycling like he lubed it with molasses one winter,you could hear a long pause when he fired before you heard the bolt close on the next round,and yeah it was so cold the decoys started icing up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Pure Sperm Whale Oil. It never thickens up in extreme cold. That is why it's the lubricant that is used on equipment that gets shot up into outer space. It continues to lubricate at a gazillion degrees below ZERO. Good Luck finding any these days though. The Government has barrels of it stashed away though. It's also an incredible machine gun oil for full auto weapons with a really high rate of extended fire.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would at the very least fire your gun in Cold weather to make sure the lubricant you use doesn't gum up and cause a malfunction.I use to duck and goose hunt,saw a buddies Remington 1100 cycling like he lubed it with molasses one winter,you could hear a long pause when he fired before you heard the bolt close on the next round,and yeah it was so cold the decoys started icing up
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You'll be sorry. Forget Global Warming we're headed into a new Ice Age.
    Yup, you might be right, it has always been in that way. Although not a "true" ice age, last time it happened was in the 16th through 19th centuries in Europe after the Medieval Warm Period; it was called the "Little Ice Age".
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

What if you got in a gunfight at 10 below with 20 mph winds,do you know how you and your gear will react?

Never been in 10 below in a class before,but have been in one at 15 degrees,it hurts,and it affects everything,you might want a winter class.

Quote Originally Posted by CVarner View Post
    WIMP!!!
    I am not sure you are able to call a Michigan guy a wimp when you are from W. Virginia. IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

20 deg , 6 inches of snow, ice pellets right now. Stepping outside to go shoot!
    Guest1 likes this.

AOK
    Wimp? No, not at all. You are getting a taste and learning how different environmental conditons can effect how you can run your gun and other ttp's on your own. You will likely not get anymore out of it in an actual class unless the class is designed specifically for dealing with those conditions such as a class designed for winter carry.

I do the same thing. All defensive firearm classes I take in the winter are schools that have indoor facilities. April to October are usually the months I take classes that are outdoors.

Like some of you I intentionally schedule some of my training/practice outdoors during poor weather conditions. This week I was practicing in 28 degrees, wind and snow. Last week it was raining hard, very muddy and 36 degrees.

With all of this said, a big reason I take classes indoors during the winter time is because most schools that train outdoors don't offer classes during the winter. I think the worst weather conditions I dealt with outside in an actual class was a few years ago (in an October) with temps in the mid 40's and rain off and on throughout the day. Not that bad really.

it all counts when you plan on the gun battle to happen! if you plan on summer train then or if you think it will be winter you better get in. october is a good time for gun fights. just let the BG's know so they don't bother till then

Different strokes... I prefer the cold. Can't stand being too hot. I can always put on more layers, but there's only so much I can take off without getting arrested.

But no, I don't think you're a wimp. We can't train for everything. Got to prepare for what is most likely. Most BGs ARE wimps, and won't hang around getting frozen fingers, nose & toes waiting for a soft target. At the edges of the bell curve there are professionals who operate any time, anywhere. If SEAL Team 6 is after me, then I'm already gone.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

I agree that it will be challenging, but look on the bright side. The class may be smaller and you will learn to cope under those conditions. Any training usually has good and bad elements to it. Dress appropriately, lubricate the weapon properly and go for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links