Call me a wimp if you want! - Page 3

Call me a wimp if you want!

This is a discussion on Call me a wimp if you want! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Different strokes... I prefer the cold. Can't stand being too hot. I can always put on more layers, but there's only so much I can ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Call me a wimp if you want!

Different strokes... I prefer the cold. Can't stand being too hot. I can always put on more layers, but there's only so much I can take off without getting arrested.

But no, I don't think you're a wimp. We can't train for everything. Got to prepare for what is most likely. Most BGs ARE wimps, and won't hang around getting frozen fingers, nose & toes waiting for a soft target. At the edges of the bell curve there are professionals who operate any time, anywhere. If SEAL Team 6 is after me, then I'm already gone.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

VIP Member
    Just a little clarification, guys.

1.) I DO train during winter.
    2.) I AM familiar with how my firearms and lubricants react in cold weather. (Not to mention my hands, feet, eyes & lungs!)

The point I was getting at is that I think it is counter productive to try to learn new concepts/techniques while fighting against the weather. Just like with any training, I prefer to learn the technique slowly, and as perfectly as I can, then, on my own time, work the new concepts or techniques in to my training.

It is the idea of paying to learn something under distracting conditions that I consider to be a waste, in my opinion. I can go play in the snow and cold whenever I like. I can then run the technique in the distraction of biting winds, 3 feet of snow, and frozen fingers to my heart's content.

Now, if you folks don't agree, just pile on! I'm a big boy. I can take it!
    Elk Hunter likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post

It is the idea of paying to learn something under distracting conditions that I consider to be a waste, in my opinion. I can go play in the snow and cold whenever I like. I can then run the technique in the distraction of biting winds, 3 feet of snow, and frozen fingers to my heart's content.

Now, if you folks don't agree, just pile on! I'm a big boy. I can take it!
    While I can appreciate the fact that environmental distractions could take away from some students ability to get the most out of a class to call it a "waste" may be a bit excessive. Personally I don't think there are any issues with your approach of when you choose to take classes or how you train on your own time (since you do practice in different elements). Everybody learns differently. It is up to the student and instructor to figure out how the student can get the most out of the instruction. You have clearly found what works for you so that's some darn good knowledge to have when determining how you want to invest your training dollars.

What I've noticed is that if you book a class for inclement weather all the students remember from it is how miserable they were. It goes like this: "Hey, how was the Pincus class?" Student--"COLD!" Better to book 'em when you have a fighting chance at decent weather--you're no wimp.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I don't think you're a wimp--I think you have good common sense and are exercising sound and prudent judgement. While I know that "bad things" can happen in all conditions, I'm not risking frostbite to train for something that is less likely to occur in 10 degree winter weather than in 70 degree weather. I trained in all weather in the Army. I'm not doing it now as a civilian! If a BG wants to stand out in a blizzard to try and rob me, I'm trusting my SA to give me enough warning to take appropriate actions. At 70 years old, my odds of dying from catching pneumonia while training are greater than my odds of being killed by an assailant!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Give me the cold and wet any day over the heat!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links