Call me a wimp if you want!

This is a discussion on Call me a wimp if you want! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, training schedules are starting to appear and classes are beginning to fill up. I just signed up for my first two-day class of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Call me a wimp if you want!

VIP Member

Call me a wimp if you want!

Well, training schedules are starting to appear and classes are beginning to fill up.

I just signed up for my first two-day class of the year, but it isnít until April. I just canít force myself to take any class in the winter. I know that it is important to train in all weather conditions, but I have an issue with paying hundreds of hard-earned dollars to spend a weekend in a blizzard being miserable and, most likely, learning less than I could have otherwise.

I will certainly train on my own during these months, but I will feel much less guilty if I pass on a day when it is 10 below with 20 mph winds. Realistic training is one thing, but STUPID training is another!

Is anybody else with me on this? Am just a wimp?
    First Sgt likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

2. Remove Ads

GM
    I am not calling you a wimp, but I am not with you on this either. The reason is that I much rather train when it is 10 below and blowing than when it is 90 degrees and the sun is shining . Yup, I like the snow and cold weather
    suntzu likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

DC
    Wimp!

I hate cold, more than heat wave 100 degrees.Blowing wind...eyes watering, it sucks. I work outside but so far I'm wondering if I'll see winter in VA. You are not so lucky.

I can understand wear you are coming from. The cold does suck, but there are lessons to be learned from being cold and running your gun. I think training should be about doing things outside of what we are good at. And doing things we do not like to do. Thats just me.

Are you a wimp for it? No...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    any training at all is better than none

we can not pick exactly when a bad thing will happen (*) so varied training whenever you can will help

mostly, when events unfold, it happens quickly and the more and varied training you have to fall back on, the better your chance of survival--and the less damage you will take.

--------------
    (*) is to say that if we pay attention, learn SA and don't do the 3 Stupid's...we may minimize where events can occur
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Wimp.

But you're doing much better than me. I haven't allocated any time for professional training in the foreseeable future...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I can understand wear you are coming from. The cold does suck, but there are lessons to be learned from being cold and running your gun. I think training should be about doing things outside of what we are good at. And doing things we do not like to do. Thats just me.

Are you a wimp for it? No...
    I get what you're saying, and I tend to agree. What I have a hard time with is PAYING to train in weather that isn't fit for man nor beast!

I do train in winter weather, I just like to make that decision on the day, not months in advance.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

WIMP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I get what you're saying, and I tend to agree. What I have a hard time with is PAYING to train in weather that isn't fit for man nor beast!

I do train in winter weather, I just like to make that decision on the day, not months in advance.
    We are both in Lansing, If you want we could run some drills together....Hit me up if you would like to ....

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Well, if you were totally serious about training (& money were no object-Ha!) you would make sure you train in all conditions you are likely to operate in. The training would have to be on a gradient of course. Train first in nice weather so you can perfect all the movements without distractions. Once you are comfortable and proficient that way, you should be training at night or the darkness of a shoot house. Then,up the ante by including inclement weather, cold hands, gloves, extra layers over your carry piece, etc. It's amazing how quickly our dexterity leaves us when our hands get cold.

So, to answer the question: no, you aren't a wimp-just human. It would however be a good idea to consider these thoughts.

Well, I plan on only ever being in lethal situations when it is 72 degrees, and partly sunny, with low humidity out.

Just kidding. At least you are making the effort to train, and recognizing the issue. However, when it is miserably hot or cold, it makes it harder to train or fight. Your mind tends to loose focus, and drift to other things.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I agree with you. That's why I am waiting until spring! ;-p
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Wimp!!!!!!!
    JK.
    I train everyday.
    I work in Detroit.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Wimp.

But you're doing much better than me. I haven't allocated any time for professional training in the foreseeable future...
    Agreed! I'm in the same boat- I just can't afford any professional training right now. Too many medical bills, and too much back trouble still.

But, if I could afford it and physically handle the training, I would be all over it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I, too, train in winter, but then winter for me is anything below 50 degrees, and it only lasts 30 days.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links