One-Handed Training/CCW

This is a discussion on One-Handed Training/CCW within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, winter has started off with an unusual twist. We had a first-class ice storm last week and I was behind a guy that went ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AOK

Thread: One-Handed Training/CCW

VIP Member

One-Handed Training/CCW

Well, winter has started off with an unusual twist. We had a first-class ice storm last week and I was behind a guy that went off the road and through a fence. I stopped to see if he was OK (he was, thankfully) and when I stepped out of the truck was immediately on the ground. I landed on my off-hand elbow and felt that I jammed up my shoulder. Long story short - after the MRI they noted that I have a tear in a rotator cuff tendon and a fracture of the humerus. This explains why I can't bring my off-hand arm up to a shooting position.

Still not sure what needs to be done to treat the two issues - Ortho appt. this afternoon. My question to the group is this - If you have had to live for a time without the use of your off-hand (or primary hand for that matter), how did you train for shooting? I have done 1-handed shooting before, but never with the intensity I would put into it if I were planning to actually need to defend myself that way for a while. I appreciate your input into this matter.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Being brought up on cowboy flicks and single action revolvers, one handed shooting has been an enjoyable part of my range repetoire for as long as I've been shooting handguns, and so comes pretty natural to me. I'd suggest just going through the same drills you do now only with an emphasis on increasing your one handed speed and accuracy. If it's very unfamiliar to you, go slow at first to build your confidence, speed will come with familiarity. As always, be careful with any technique that is unfamiliar or new to you.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of your health woes, fellow Buckeye. Hope you're better, soon!

To relate my personal story:

I'm relatively new to shooting - as well as concealed carry. I started shooting in November of 2010 (late November: after Thanksgiving). Concealed carry since late March, 2011.

When I stepped up for the range portion of my CHL "exam," I had not done much, at all, one-handed shooting - even with my strong hand - and it showed. I didn't go off the target with a miss, but my shots were nowhere near the quality of my two-handed shots. The instructor was very adamant with me: that my two-handed shooting obviously told the tale that I'd been to the range many times, and put in many hours there - but my one-handed performance belied the fact that I am as new and as green as they come.

His advice was simple: to just do as much one-handed shooting as two-handed.

I went home, and immediately started to follow that advice with dry-fire and airsoft practice. For the next three months thereafter, that's also what I did, at the range.

I've since gone back to doing predominantly two-handed shooting, mainly because I've come to the realization that I still have much work to do, there, but I do try to keep in-practice my one-handed pistolcraft skills, including basic marksmanship as well as manipulations.

As I start to hone my proficiency with two-handed work, I will again start to focus more on single-handed, because I truly feel that in the real world, this is a very important survival tactic.

I always shoot one handed at range. Like in a real life situation you might not have time to use two hands. Point shooting out to 7 yards is a good skill to have ; ) PS Hope you get better
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a fast recovery.

It will be two years in February since I tore up my right (primary) shoulder. Since then I have had two surgeries and more physical therapy than I care to think about. I am still shooting left handed as the Dr. cautioned me that the recoil could damage the repair he did to my biceps.

I've had a Carry Permit since 1995 and started practicing with both hands long before that time. My Grandfather was missing his index and middle fingers. His lesson to was to prepare for any possibility, so when I began considering armed self defense in the mid 80's I began practicing to shoot with either hand.

Due to some nerve issues most semi-auto's tend to be extremely unreliable for me, so I my usual EDC is a revolver. I had very little trouble shooting, but reloading was a real chore and took quite a bit of practice. Not having good feeling in my fingers made me clumsy and after the surgery I was in an immobilizing sling for 6 weeks which meant I had to find a way to reload using only one hand.

If you are interested, I'll try to find the thread where I was given some help with training ideas.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

AOK
    So is there surgery in you future?

As for improving your ability to fight one-handed.....

For me it was starting with the basics. How did you learn to shoot well two handed? Start out slow focusing on proper sight alignment and trigger press. As your shots get a little tighter shoot faster. When you start to get a little sloppy again slow down a little and get good hits.

Determine how you are going to clear your garment one handed. There are a variety of ways to accomplish this. My favorite one is grabbing the shirt right in front of the gun and pulling it just above the gun and pulling it back behind the grip. When the garment is out of the way grab the grip. I used to like sliding the thumb underneath the garment and pulling it up but when I was in a hurry and on the move I would miss the garment on occassion. If I miss the bottom with the grab I prefer I still get enough material to get the garment out of the way.

After you determine how you want to clear the garment start working on wichever draw stroke you prefer, then working on reloads, malfunctions, etc.

The great thing about everything here (except actually shooting) is it can be practiced at home. However, if you have the resources of time and money I would highly recommend learning a lot of these things through formal instruction. Since you are focused on a specific need if I was in your position I would try setting up a few hours of one-on-one instruction.

I wish you the best on your recovery and your training!
    TSiWRX likes this.

If racking is a problem, switch to a revolver and practice, practice, practice.

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will switch to my S&W 640 for a few weeks and load it with .38 SD loads. The doc wants to take a couple of weeks with the arm in a sling to see how it repairs itself - he does not think the tear is complete, so it may repair itself OK. Racking the slide could be problematic if I had to do it in a hurry, hence the snubby for a few weeks - good suggestion ctrcs. Also AOK - good call on clearing the garment one-handed. Fortunately, I have practiced this as I am rather large and getting my off-hand over to clear the garment is not all that easy.

Thanks to all who wished me well. I hope that I heal up with just the sling as surgery would be the other alternative and I would rather not go there.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I usually do a bit of off handed shooting during my range visits, as for racking you can learn how to rack the gun using your rear sights and your belt or holster

This is a good reminder to practice with either hand...I don't do much of that.
    Sorry about your 'slip'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have you consulted with a physical therapist? I tore my rotator cuff slipping on the ice a year ago in November. Rested it, and then did physical therapy...5 months later, I re-injured the shoulder...again, partial tear. I had surgery the day before Thanksgiving...and now feeling much better.

Get a second opinion...get a referral to a physical therapist who specializes in sports-related injuries...the first PT I had didn't challenge me as much as the one who specialized in sports-related hobbies/activities.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links