What's your std of "adequate" ccw skill?

What's your std of "adequate" ccw skill?

This is a discussion on What's your std of "adequate" ccw skill? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I draw the line at the ability to toss up a soda can, draw and hit it in the air. A truly good hand can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your std of "adequate" ccw skill?

what\'s your std of \"adequate\" ccw skill?

I draw the line at the ability to toss up a soda can, draw and hit it in the air. A truly good hand can toss up 2 such cans, and score on them both. This is the equivalent of hitting the brain, in fractions of a second, on a moving man, at typical civilian defensive ranges, or hitting the chest at 3x greater distances. The hits are normally made with the can being only a few feet from the muzzle, but where\'s a guy\'s head, when he\'s using a knife or club on you, hmm?

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Trick shots are not a valid test of combat skills.

Do you do it while drawing from under a cover garment, moving off the line of attack, shouting at your targets and running for cover simultaneously?

Thought not.

Dont feed the troll

Sorry, i didn\'t realize this was gunkid until after i posted. New forum, guess he hasn\'t been banned yet.

What Meme is proposing breaks the NRA rule #4 and is very dangerous.
    *Know your target and what is beyond.*
    A missed round can travel very far and can hit people, houses, etc. Its not recommended and there are plenty of ranges that have been shut down because of dangerous acts like this.

Senior Moderator
    Originally posted by meme
    I draw the line at the ability to toss up a soda can, draw and hit it in the air. A truly good hand can toss up 2 such cans, and score on them both. This is the equivalent of hitting the brain, in fractions of a second, on a moving man, at typical civilian defensive ranges, or hitting the chest at 3x greater distances. The hits are normally made with the can being only a few feet from the muzzle, but where\'s a guy\'s head, when he\'s using a knife or club on you, hmm?
    BS!

Some serious answers would be good on this topic. I would like to see what you all do at your local range to become more proficient with your carry rigs.

~A

Some of my dedicated \'ccw drills'are:
    basic garment sweeps and draws while moving off line, (engagement optional),
    drawing and moving to cover (big garbage cans, upright and laid over),
    firing from around said cover at diff angles,
    and communicating in a command voice.
    While live fire is really more fun, most good ccw drills can be performed dry. Alot of nights and evenings, if my wife is working late and the kids are at Grandma\'s, I take a thrice checked \'empty'pistol and my light and work slice the pie drills and cornering. I\'m not kidding myself, I\'m not training to clear a house, just a room or two and a doorway.

Dan

Practice=Survival

The only handgun shooting I do that is static is gun/ammo testing.

Everything else is dynamic. Movement to cover while shooting, shooting moving across the targets, shooting to lockback, NY reload and continue.

Do not lock yourself into a two shot drill. If you have multiple targets, one shot to each and repeat as necessary. Use targets with different threat levels..lots of good target available. One guy with knife, another with shotgun, third with handgun.
    Different distances, but I keep all inside 15yards, and usually much closer.

Everytime you go to the range, take your shotgun or rifle and do a bit of practice with it too.

To quote an old friend, your objective in a gunfight should be to:

Distract opponents focus
    Disrupt His plan
    Disable his ability to do harm
    Destroy his will

In other words, change his channel:):)

Probably should have started a new thread with this..moderators, feel free to move this post if needed.

I try to do dry fire drills every night.

My range session consists of about 250 rounds.

20-40 rounds go to accuracy work

The rest is dynamic.

It involves presentation, shooting on the move, shooting from cover, shooting from retention. Multiple targets. Threat scans, tactical and emergency reloads, Malfunction clearance...

I then practice retention and weapon disarms with my range buddy after every range visit using airsoft.

Originally posted by KC135
    To quote an old friend, your objective in a gunfight should be to:

Distract opponents focus
    Disrupt His plan
    Disable his ability to do harm
    Destroy his will

In other words, change his channel:):)
    Reset the OODA loop. Good advice.

Now we are getting somewhere.....
    Great ideas on some training tactics, guys. Thanks

Dan

VIP Member
    How about this: Throw 8 clays in the air with one hand, draw your S&W 686 (6 shot of course) and break all 8. I do this all the time so long as the ground isn\'t too soft. :P:D

Of course people chuckle when all 8 clay birds break on the ground and I didn\'t fire a shot. ;) Sometimes before I reholster I have to tap a clay with the 686 because it didn\'t break when it hit the ground. :P

But seriously...

Here\'s a training sim a local officer told me they use to simulate firing under stress.

Sprint 50yds full out. When you hit the line draw and fire at targets 7-10 yds away. No pausing to catch your breath and you should be out of breath if you ran the 50yds right. He said they believe it is the closest thing they can do to simulate the stress reactions of a gunfight.

Near as we can figure the idea is to get your body trying to get oxygen and also do other things. The body is going to give priority to the oxygen and possibly limit what else it wants to do. This should simulate the loss of fine motor skills that happens with an adrenaline dump to your system.

Try it if you can, you may find the results interesting. You can of course add your own variations such as moving targets multiple targets etc. I only know of one place where I could do this now. Most places don\'t have the space or an appropriate range.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Scott
    Try it if you can, you may find the results interesting. You can of course add your own variations such as moving targets multiple targets etc. I only know of one place where I could do this now. Most places don\'t have the space or an appropriate range.
    That is the problem I have found. There simply are no ranges, near me anyway, that provide a place to practice tactical shooting. Most of mine is dryfire in the house or back yard. I guess I can understand why there are not many around, the liability insurance would probably be out of this world.

no ranges around me either. I just wait untill no one is around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links