My View on CCW Classes, Yep, it's long.

This is a discussion on My View on CCW Classes, Yep, it's long. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My firearms instruction class lasted 24 yrs so far. Like most on this forum, we all have good and extensive experience. Fathers, uncles, grandfathers. Mothers! ...

Thread: My View on CCW Classes, Yep, it's long.

My View on CCW Classes, Yep, it's long.

My firearms instruction class lasted 24 yrs so far.

Like most on this forum, we all have good and extensive experience. Fathers, uncles, grandfathers. Mothers! that all instill in us respect for firearms at early ages.

As we grow up, we go out on our own, hunting. Myself, I was allowed to hunt alone at 12. I proved to my father that I was safe and knew that I was responsible.

After high school, I went to law enforcement school. 2 years to earn an associates degree. Heavy instruction on law, deadly force, situational conditions. Hours apon hours of tactical/physical exercises, the List goes on.

After that, because of my younger age, I joined the military. Navy. Not a really weapon based force when you started out then. (Army, Marines in comparison). As extra duties, I signed on to security forces, got great training automatic weapons, awarded expert in pistol and rifle (navy, then for a landlubber?, wow) Main duty? Cryptology and Computers.

So, that's where I went to, Information Tech. Sure, I still shot at the range, always practiced. Never stopped thinking about a responsibility to protect myself and others around me. Never stopped the love for shooting and the responsibility that came with it.

Do I REST on that former experience?

I think the shortest answer is, NO.

See, a mind is a flexible thing. You have a mindset that is based mostly on your current conditions. Back then, I was more "warrior" like. I knew the what, when and how I would do things. Your trained, conditioned and will respond to that training.

That was 10 years ago.

Until 4 months ago. My thinking was almost always IP addresses, MAC address, routers, switches, XP, linux, unix etc.

There are things that you know and there are things you think you know. What I know now is that I'm in love with a woman, I want to have a life and I am quite scared at what my neighborhood is coming to.

I know that I don't have the current training. I know that I might not be as proficient in tactics as I once was. Muscle memory lost. No knowledge of current laws etc. I'm aware that others in my class are not trained, ignorant, un-disciplined, un-aware, frightened, and vengeful

Training. There is the answer.

Now, I might be saying something that many will disagree apon. Being well armed is not a right. It's a RESPONSIBILITY.

You are taking it apon yourself to ensure the safety of not only yourself and your family. It is also for all the others that you encounter if the moment arrives. We know what I mean by "moment"

And it's that "Moment" that should scare the hell out of us. Not just because we have to make a split decision, it's because we have to make the RIGHT decision.

One person should not relish the time when we need to take a human life, we should abore it. It is against the nature of most people to take life. However, it is those that know the difference of right and wrong that can either take action to stop those that do relish it and completely disregard human life.

That, in my humble opinion, is where a well regulated militia comes in and how I believe that it does apply to me.

Thus, I went to a CCW class even through I already qualify to get a CCW.

We can't ask everyone to have i.e. 24 years experience. But we NEED them to have good, insightful, practical, EDUCATIONAL experience. As much as it is. Poor as some may see it.

Otherwise, duck.

I apologize for the long post. I got on a roll and hugged my girlfriend.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I agree with the broad sense of that post - it states much that I think we can all relate to easily.
    Now, I might be saying something that many will disagree apon. Being well armed is not a right. It's a RESPONSIBILITY.
    And I for one agree with that - but then my dedication to being armed is total.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    One should never stop training and learning.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Well said Lochinver
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

New Member Array NRAInstructorFLA's Avatar
    I grew up in a home where it was inbred into us: "stop learning & you die!"
    I'd like to go a step further and tell you that if you feel deeply for your woman - "teach her!!!" Women are targeted by "victim hunters" because of the form/anatomy they're born in - not because of who they are as individuals. If you love her - then empower her not to have to depend on you to protect her.
    As an Instructor that empowers many, I'll tell you that in my CCW classes between 40 - 60% of students are women; they are also the fastest growing target audience for handgun sales.
    Consider it ....
    Mark Wittenberg; Head Instructor
    Defensive Shooting Instructors
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    State of Florida Certified Defensive Tactics Instructor
    Taser Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    State of Florida "D" & "G" Licensed Executive Protection Officer

My grandfather(retired military and had a great influence on me growing up), was still in college into his early 70's. He kinda clued me in (and yes, I think he finally ran out of classes he wanted to take mid-late 90's;-). Needless to say, I understand that learning and training should be a constant effort.

Links