"Beginner Class" - need your criticism

This is a discussion on "Beginner Class" - need your criticism within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a densely populated part of the country and have made a decision to begin teaching beginner pistol classes. I plan to take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Beginner Class" - need your criticism

I live in a densely populated part of the country and have made a decision to begin teaching beginner pistol classes. I plan to take the NRA instructors course, for two reasons... The "certification", and to see if I can pick up any pointers on the format. I already have a detailed class outline prepared. I really enjoy teaching and helping people that want and appreciate it. If this evolves into a career, so be it, but initially the plan is part time, and limited expense to see what the appetite is.

I don't want to bore anyone with my background, but I've got an M card in USPSA, area and regional wins, shoot primarily production and L-10 / SS, RO for five years, etc. This isn't going to be a competition class, or self defense, but rather safety, platforms, manipulation, stance, grip, sight alignment, and learning the trigger, without the distraction of live fire. This class will encourage students to avoid live fire until they have established an index, can understand to "call" shots during a dry fire routine, understand the trigger and acceptable accuracy, and can repeatedly break the trigger without disturbing the gun. I'm making arrangements with ranges and the possibities of using their facilities, because I know, some people will want to take a class, shoot, and call it good... But the class as designed could typically be held anywhere. I'll provide the guns and the class size will be from 3 to 6/8 max. We are tossing around $100/per for 2 hours around with unlimited money back for referrals.

I would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions. Both good and bad are welcome.

I think a class like that's important, but the price is too high. A firearms familiarization class is basically what you have, which is needed, but think 25-50 $ per person is more reasonable.
    claude clay, msgt/ret and RMS like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think a class like that's important, but the price is too high. A firearms familiarization class is basically what you have, which is needed, but think 25-50 $ per person is more reasonable.
    Beginners class that I took here was $150 for a 4-hour course.

I agree that $100 is too high for a simple two hour beginners class. In Ohio, you can get the CCW class at numerous places for $85-$100, and that is a 12 hour class which includes 2 hours of range time! Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Its going to be where you live. Call around in your area and see what makes you competitive.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    what glockman said--

i call that "basic handgun safety" and ran the class of 6 to 10 students for 2-3 hours for $25 per person.

past tense "ran" cause its been years--Basic Pistol for their CCW class is what people in my region seem to do now.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Basically it's $200 for 4 hrs, $50 for 1, locally. This is instruction and range time. Again I'm proposing that students can recover their fee through referrals.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Basically it's $200 for 4 hrs, $50 for 1, locally. This is instruction and range time. Again I'm proposing that students can recover their fee through referrals.
    Hmmmm, isn't that how those "pyramid" scam thingys work?

Again, just my .02, but I think the price is way too high for what you are proposing to give. Around here, there are CCW classes offered for $80-$100 for 12 hours of instruction, and advanced classes, which are primarily all taught on the range for 8-10 hours for $150. That sure doesn't come anywhere near your $50 per hour!!!! And these are classes taught by individuals with extensive backgrounds and experience in shooting and teaching.

You asked for what people thought. You have my thoughts. I mean no offense, but if you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I like the idea of that class, *A LOT*. I think that the vast majority of beginners - I know I was, when I first started - has no idea of the importance of the fundamentals, and what's worth, not all instructors of the "tactical" kind will start off at that level even for a "beginner"-level class, and expect students to have mastery at that most basic of levels, prior to their "run your gun" type class. As a result, I see a lot of my fellow beginners either frustrated early on in class, or continuing to struggle throughout class.

As for fee-for-service?

That's up to your local market.

I'm attending a 4-hour seminar class (up to 12 students, I don't yet know how many instructors will be in on the course) by Chris Cerino, two Saturdays from now. I know that a portion of it is classroom, followed by both dry and live-fire exercises. Tuition is $100.

A popular local school charges $20 for a 2-hour live-fire mini-seminar, "semi-private tutoring" is the best descriptor, with about 6 to 8 instructors on the line with as many shooters.

Senior Moderator
    You're basically talking about an NRA First Steps of Basic Pistol class.

As an NRA certified instructor you can teach non-NRA classes but in order to advertise the class giving your accreditation as an NRA instructor you have to specifically state, "This class is not approved by the NRA." That phrase can give some people pause.

If you choose to teach the NRA First Steps class then you don't have to put that statement in and a lot of people do feel more comfortable with going to an NRA class than just Joe-Schmoe (who just happens to be an NRA instructor)'s pistol class.

The First Steps and Basic Pistol classes have very good, thorough outlines. Not to mention they can also be advertised on the NRA's website which will get you customers you wouldn't get otherwise.

Have you ever taught anyone before? Even just as a lay person, helping out? If so, how did that go?

I also think that the cost is high. I have attended 10-12 hour advanced and tactical classes for $170.00. I am a instructor in the state of Ky. and will be holding basic pistiol courses for $50.00 and CCDW classes for $75.00. No more than 5 students at a time and I will go to them and teach. I think going to them will help get groups to attend and the students can fill the class themselves. My wife has purse parties, I will have pistol parties. Ha Ha

Most places around here are $100-150 for 4 hours

Just wandering how you can teach someone all that in 2 hours,our classes at ADPA are 250.00 a day and 8 hours just for beginners,now if you dealing with a semi experienced shooter its different,but a newby takes a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Hmmmm, isn't that how those "pyramid" scam thingys work?

Again, just my .02, but I think the price is way too high for what you are proposing to give. Around here, there are CCW classes offered for $80-$100 for 12 hours of instruction, and advanced classes, which are primarily all taught on the range for 8-10 hours for $150. That sure doesn't come anywhere near your $50 per hour!!!! And these are classes taught by individuals with extensive backgrounds and experience in shooting and teaching.

You asked for what people thought. You have my thoughts. I mean no offense, but if you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.
    Not offended although I don't know exactly what shooting experience you are referring to. No pyramid or pyramid, you can call it what you want. You send me or bring a student, I give you money. Nobody gets hosed when the music quits Every shooter I know, knows someone that has asked about a beginner class, or about a CHL prep class. In my state, there is essentially no shooting instruction in the CHL class, but there is a qualifiaction.

Anyway...
    Most newbie classes I hear about cover safety pretty well, are typically lacking in manipulation, and are poor at shooting. Once a "stance and grip" are demonstrated, its off to the range where problems are hard to isolate and muzzle blast and recoil are quickly associated with pulling the trigger. Watching the front sight and knowing where it was when it lifted in recoil, becomes impossible with closed eyes and any information regarding the sights as described by the student are suspect. The most fundamental, fundamental of shooting, "calling the shot", is generally shelved for later. Most beginner classes I hear about, I consider wasted time and money, but that's me.

With as much dry firing and one-on-one as I have planned, I don't see a class of any more than 6 or 8 working... and I'm leaning toward 6. I'm not fixed on the price. It was just a number several of us came up with and it didn't sound out of line locally.

Appreciate everyones thoughts

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I paid $85 for my class here in TN. I think the class lasted most of the day. Been sometime ago.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links