Home made targets! What to you use?

This is a discussion on Home made targets! What to you use? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer to make stuff rather than to buy it. I'm curious if any of you have made any targets/target stands that you use to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Porp
  • 1 Post By claude clay

Thread: Home made targets! What to you use?

Sponsor

I prefer to make stuff rather than to buy it. I'm curious if any of you have made any targets/target stands that you use to train for defensive situation! I'd love to see pics!

I've thought about making one where you can use standard cardboard silhouettes that operates by turning the target 90 degrees and is operated by another person so the shooter can practice target ID, drawing, and firing. I'll get some drawings made up and post them on this thread when I get a chance.

Thanks for your input!

Clay

I saw an episode of "the best defense" on outdoor channel that taught me now to make awesome reactive targets.
    1. Get a box roughly the same size as a torso/head target
    2. cut squares out of the top front and top back corners of the box, push the remaining cardboard in to form the "head" and shoulders and tape it down
    3. cut a circle COM
    4. cut a access flap on the bottom
    5. cut a hole about 2" in Dia in the top of the head
    6. put an inflated balloon with a string tied to the knot in through the access flap you cut
    7. put an old T-shirt over the target for more realistic effect and to hide the balloon that shows through the center hole you cut.
    8. hang the target by the string

The target will fall once the balloon is popped. This works awesome IMO because it teaches you to shoot until the target is down, rather than training for single shots/doubletaps and so on.
    Paymeister likes this.

VIP Member
    Target or target holders?
    I use old desk calenders as paper targets to save some money. We used some boxes once but had an issue with wind. Our club has target holders that we attach paper targets to. On really cold days if we go to the 600 yard range we use a 12 inch sarmor steel plate on a home made hanger. The "jam it" work pretty well in the summer just stuff them into the ground and shoot. but in the winter when the ground is frozen, it can be hard to set them up.

Frozen water bottles on a string (filled with Cherry jello water for appropriate effect), golf balls, 4" square 3/4" steel boiler plates hung with coat hangers (TING!!), balloons, real estate type yard signs that people leave along public rights-of-way, sidewalk chalk (poof)......

Turning targets operated by pulling a string are easy to fabricate. I've seen one that had two strings, pull one to turn it towards you, the other to turn it away. Another had a spring, pull a string to turn it towards you, release it and the spring snaps it back. Those plans were on Google.

Right now we are working on an "attacking dog" target. Probably a string pulling a small platform with wheels, 5 gallon bucket for a target holder.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

My brother and I use cardboard silhouettes that we cut out and use fence post to hold them.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i am working closely with the local judges re catch & release---

as 'they' are so good at running, I'm suggesting that the judge let me give them some reason ( and direction--da river)
    to sharpen their skills. no more straight line "look at that monkey run!!!" *

i want to see zaggen & ziggen with & without purses dangling and hands full of jewelery boxes.
    flat screens would be the same size as their waist...

-----------
    * tip of the hat to Howard Cosell
    KWAG likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    2 litre bottles and water bottles filled with H20.

PIck up a couple cases of bowling pins when your local alley buys new ones.

They will last for roughly 100-150 rounds. The coating heals the wound, but the wood inside eventually gets clobbered enough to destroy the pin.

We picked some up about 15 years ago and still have a couple boxes left.

cat-hostage-duck-cute.jpghostage target_520 yds.jpghostage_2005_img_07.jpg

I print out realistic targets. Makes you focus. If you miss the 10 ring, no big deal. Miss the BG, gives you real good feedback

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Closeout-damaged Xmas ornaments. Hung under the target stand @ 100 yd, makes for some great plinking.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I made a wooden target stand and tape balloons to the heart and head. When the balloon pops the target is down.
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

Sponsored Links