"Mozambique" versus "Failure to Stop"

This is a discussion on "Mozambique" versus "Failure to Stop" within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm pretty much of the mindset that if you've found yourself facing an unavoidable threat and you've decided to defend yourself, you better commit to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "Mozambique" versus "Failure to Stop"

I'm pretty much of the mindset that if you've found yourself facing an unavoidable threat and you've decided to defend yourself, you better commit to it. All this talk about reassessment to help protect yourself legally just seems like more stuff you realistically won't have time to think about in a fight for your life. You're already pointing your gun at another person and pulling the trigger; pausing after two shots to COM could be a pause that ends up getting you killed or shot.

A lot of folks are always saying things like "Oh, you're just an internet commando, I bet you'd be peeing yourself in a gunfight!" -- Yeah, I'd probably be peeing myself, but I'd be doing it while firing off as many rounds as it took to stop my attacker from killing me. I've stared down the barrel of a gun before, and let me tell you that if it ever happens again and I am armed, I am going to be doing something about it.

Just my two pennies :)
    tacman605 and Bad Bob like this.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

2. Remove Ads

Close Contact Mozambique

Close Contact Mozambique - YouTube

It has come to my attention that the timer may not have picked up all the shots and displayed an inaccurate time reading on my Mozambique video. I will redo the drill and post results.

Administrator
    Jim Sorrentino ain't exactly Irving Berlin is he?
    The words to this "song" just did two painful ones to my pumper and one to my head that needs an Extra Strength Excedrin right now.

THE MOZAMBIQUE TWO-STEP
    Believed to have been originated by Jim Sorrentino, et. al.

CHORUS:

Mozambique him, Mozambique him,
    If he fails to hit the ground
    After two well-placed rounds!
    Shoot between the eyes and lips,
    No, NOT between the hips,
    That should put the goblin down!

VERSE:

With your sights on center chest
    Twice you your trigger you have pressed.
    If two don't stop the fight,
    A head-shot should set it right!

CHORUS

VERSE:

It is best to use a slug
    Big enough to stop a thug.
    Calibers that start with four
    Will better drop them to the floor!

CHORUS

VERSE:

Stop this talk of "failure drills",
    For it denigrates our skills.
    Failure is a word so bleak,
    But I rejoice at "MOZAMBIQUE"!

CHORUS

ADDITIONAL VERSE

In full evening dress you stroll
    when accosted by a troll
    who seizes your maiden fair.
    Three quick shots to save the day,
    reload, press-check, you're on your way,
    and you've scarcely mussed a hair.

ADDITIONAL VERSE

Mozambique the bloody creep!
    For he's been breathing far too long
    and you must shut him down.
    There's only one way to construe
    the way he points that gun at you.
    The time to act is now.

or maybe, for the second part of the above

'Tis unmitigated act
    that you need now and that's a fact.
    Thank Heaven you know how!

And a recently added contemporary verse (thanks to Alan Taylor).

"If on the dusty Arab street,
    Foul Osama you should meet,
    With his arms upraised, in full jihadi call!
    Mozambique without delay,
    T'is the order of the day,
    And you'll do a welcome service for us all!

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    The head is a bit more difficult to hit than you might think, just ask a boxer.
    Then what's to say you're gonna make that hit on a failure to stop? You're better off putting a 3rd in his chest then

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

no man's land between Montana and Alberta
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    There are reports of threats continuing their attack despite multiple shots to the body. Obviously, shot placement is paramount but some attackers who are under the influence of drugs can remain in the fight for 10-15 seconds despite a direct heart hit.
    I've seen video of a woman getting shot by an armed robber, she had enough time to activate the alarm, and write a good-bye letter to her child before her last groan is heard. The autopsy report indicated that the largest piece of her heart left was the size of a thumbnail.

Arguing about what a drill is called, or which drill is which, is pointless in my eyes. It isn't going to make a difference whether you know the terminology or not when you're taking the witness stand because the prosecutor isn't going to ask you why you used mozambique instead of a failure drill. Just be able to execute your handling/shooting skills when the time comes, and then explain yourself to the lawyers/judges/jury afterwards.
    Harryball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bordercop View Post
    I've seen video of a woman getting shot by an armed robber, she had enough time to activate the alarm, and write a good-bye letter to her child before her last groan is heard.
    that is horrible.

here is proof that you can still function even after you are shot for sometimes up to 3 minutes

We train to shoot them to the ground. Easily 4 or 5 to center mass then reassess. If it's 7 yards or closer, take the face if necessary. Unfortunate, too many people put too much faith in a head shot. I can tell you from personal experience that it isn't always as effective as we'd like it to be, even at very close range.

This nonsens about firing 2 shots then deciding what is needed is utter silliness. Fire as many rounds as it takes, as fast as you can while still remaining accurate (combat accurate, not bullseye accurate). And for God's sake, practice this and practice it with proper targets. Dropping steel is nice, or silhouettes with index cards to indicte vital zones... So, a playing card sized index card on the face (between the eyes and mouth, not the forehead) and maybe 2 or 3 of the same, vertically placed and side by side, to medicate center mass. Also, remember center mass is the center of the exposed target. If using a fully exposed sihouette, use the triangle from the nipples to between the eyes. To shoot center chest is not dead center, but high center, about an inch above the nipples.

A good thing for practice is to buy a bag of balloons, string and either boxes or cardboard silhouettes. Hang them from the balloons so when the balloons pop, the target will fall. The key here is to set up a number of them. Then, position the balloon behind the target in different areas, though still inside center mass enough that at least an edge is within an inch of dead center. Blow it up to about 4" or 5", depending on distance and shooter ability. Make it just hard enough that it'll be unlikely they hit it on the first round, but no harder than 4 or 5 rounds center mass and they don't have to try to guess where it is.

It's a serious learning tool. You'll get guys moving quickly through the house and after the first target or two fall quickly, they shoot while passing the others... Then, they don't fall, so they have to sto and focus, putting more rounds than they expected into the target.
    nemo0302 and DRM like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

In my humble opinion and experience...Mr. Consiglio is 100% CORRECT. In close-range, violent, fight to the death (and that‘s EXACTLY what it is) if you pause to assess, you are surrendering the initiative/momentum. Like the old cliché says..."The god of war hates those who hesitate"!
    I, as well, have been trained and now train others to deal with one adversary at a time, KILL HIM, and then move on. We used “the Rule of B’s” or shoot until you see his brains or his backbone. I apologize for the graphic nature, but real-life inter-personal combat is UGLY!
    I think Mr. Consiglio is also 100% correct about using smaller targets. We called it the “Golden Triangle”, but the concept is the same. Whether with a rifle and especially with a pistol, it is extremely difficult to “instantly” eliminate an adversary, or to finish him before he has a chance to possibly inflict mortal damage on you. Bottom line, humans are a great deal harder to kill than most people think, especially if you introduce drugs, alcohol, fanatical hatred or a combination, like we’ve encountered in Mogadishu, Fallujah, Ramadi and elsewhere. It is not impossible though, you just have to hit them in the right place, i.e. shot placement!
    I use a “T” shaped target for the head, called the CNS “T” (or Central Nervous System “T”) and a 4x6 index card for the chest target. The 4x6 card is placed with the top high and centered in the chest. These areas represent targeting the most important organs in the human body…the brain and heart.
    Furthermore, you need to account for the fact that, due to the body’s physiological response to extreme violence, your accuracy will degrade by 45 to 50% of what you can perform on the range without stress.

Mike

This thread was started to differentiate between MOZAMBIQUE and FAILURE TO STOP drills...not the merits of either. I do like the comments posted though. Have a great weekend.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Then what's to say you're gonna make that hit on a failure to stop? You're better off putting a 3rd in his chest then
    I agree with jonconsiglio...

The idea of opting out of COM is that if you are putting lots of shots on target and not getting any noticeable results, so then MAYBE THE GUY HAS BODY ARMOR ON???

The pelvic area is another good choice, it's bigger and moves slower than the head.
    Last edited by DRM; July 14th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links