Kids and safety, cannot believe what I saw

This is a discussion on Kids and safety, cannot believe what I saw within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Boys will be boys. Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Kids and safety, cannot believe what I saw

Boys will be boys.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Enforce the eye protection rule. From the Christmas Story, "No,that thing will shoot your eye out!" Don't know how I ever survived my childhood. No kneepads, elbow pads, helmit, etc But I have a few scars that can twell a tale or two.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Senior Moderator
    Airsoft wasn't meant to be shot at people? Then I need to find someone to sue for these:

Yes, those are welts from airsoft gun fire. Note the bullseye bruise in the middle.. that was from an airsoft rifle while I was in a FOF training and we were running an active shooter scenario.

I understand the concern with pointing them at each others heads (especially if there was no eye protection) or extreme close quarters but I fully expect to find my son and a couple of buddies having airsoft wars when he gets older (with masks). And not all airsoft if created equal. There are cheapo guns that have almost zero pressure behind the shots and cause little more than a sting and quality guns that pack a punch and will break skin if it's not protected.

One guy in the class I went to didn't wear a long-sleeved shirt and looked like someone spent the day putting out cigarettes on his arms.

Almost every FOF gun training I've ever heard of incorporates airsoft guns into the mix.

Being shot with airsoft DEFINITELY smarts. Having done both it and paintball I would take paintballs over airsoft (especially the airsoft rifles) any day, but it certainly isn't lethal and can be pretty fun and a great training aide.

Airsoft is perfectly safe to use against people (because it is designed to use against people), provided the proper safety gear is worn. I go out to my hunting grounds with a convoy of people from school once or twice a month for a weekend long "war." The only thing we absolutely require is a full face mask (like paintball) since most of our guns run at 400fps at a minimum.

I'm betting theirs were the low powered kind you get at Dick's or Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by tubadude; February 13th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    limatunes likes this.

cj
    Hmm. I think I've seen some of those guys at the range, only with real firearms. My local club gets more members due to this type of behavior at the nearby 'public' range...

My dad and my uncles were WW2 vets who saw a lot of people die. At a very early age it was instilled in me to never point any gun, not even a cap pistol, at anyone (or anything I didn't mean to kill). To this day not only am I always aware where my gun is pointed, but also make sure to note where any other guns in the area are pointed. Keeps me out of the line of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Airsoft wasn't meant to be shot at people? Then I need to find someone to sue for these:

Yes, those are welts from airsoft gun fire. Note the bullseye bruise in the middle.. that was from an airsoft rifle while I was in a FOF training and we were running an active shooter scenario.

I understand the concern with pointing them at each others heads (especially if there was no eye protection) or extreme close quarters but I fully expect to find my son and a couple of buddies having airsoft wars when he gets older (with masks). And not all airsoft if created equal. There are cheapo guns that have almost zero pressure behind the shots and cause little more than a sting and quality guns that pack a punch and will break skin if it's not protected.

One guy in the class I went to didn't wear a long-sleeved shirt and looked like someone spent the day putting out cigarettes on his arms.

Almost every FOF gun training I've ever heard of incorporates airsoft guns into the mix.

Being shot with airsoft DEFINITELY smarts. Having done both it and paintball I would take paintballs over airsoft (especially the airsoft rifles) any day, but it certainly isn't lethal and can be pretty fun and a great training aide.

Dang!!!! Did you win??
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Just sounds like boy's will be boy's. Sure we were taught the correct way but when the adult left, we would be acting like we were sgt striker and storming the beach fighting the Japs and Jerries. No surprise.

My stepson was really into airsoft for awhile. I was not at all happy to see kids running through the woods at the local park with airsoft rifles (that are designed to look like ARs). If they want to shoot each other, fine... but don't start hitting me with those things!

The problem I have with young kids doing this stuff is the lack of basic safe gun handling being taught. They get used to just pointing a pistol or rifle at someone and pulling the trigger.

Personally, I must confess to having a P99 spring-loaded airsoft pistol for chasing squirrels from my bird feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by protek View Post
    My stepson was really into airsoft for awhile. I was not at all happy to see kids running through the woods at the local park with airsoft rifles (that are designed to look like ARs). If they want to shoot each other, fine... but don't start hitting me with those things!

The problem I have with young kids doing this stuff is the lack of basic safe gun handling being taught. They get used to just pointing a pistol or rifle at someone and pulling the trigger.

Personally, I must confess to having a P99 spring-loaded airsoft pistol for chasing squirrels from my bird feeder.
    I can see your point. The bold is what Im referring to. However, we allow them to do the same thing with nerf guns. We actually have nerf wars in the house, I use this as a training opp for the kids. If airsoft, paintball and nerf are done right (taught right) they can be fun and educational at the same time. A little common sense goes a long way....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I can see your point. The bold is what Im referring to. However, we allow them to do the same thing with nerf guns. We actually have nerf wars in the house, I use this as a training opp for the kids. If airsoft, paintball and nerf are done right (taught right) they can be fun and educational at the same time. A little common sense goes a long way....
    My dad is anti gun. When my son was about 5 my Dad came for a visit. My mom and dad saw a water pistol on the floor and were upset. My dad said "he is going to learn bad habits and think all guns are toys. What will happen if he goes to a friends house and they find a real gun.....". I think you can see where that was going. I handed the water pistol to my dad where he had it pointed at me with his finger on the trigger. Then jokingly put it to his head. I called my son over and gave it to him. He had it at the ready position with his finger off the trigger and ppointing to the ground. I looked at my dad and said "guess he seems more prepared than you"
    Harryball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My dad is anti gun. When my son was about 5 my Dad came for a visit. My mom and dad saw a water pistol on the floor and were upset. My dad said "he is going to learn bad habits and think all guns are toys. What will happen if he goes to a friends house and they find a real gun.....". I think you can see where that was going. I handed the water pistol to my dad where he had it pointed at me with his finger on the trigger. Then jokingly put it to his head. I called my son over and gave it to him. He had it at the ready position with his finger off the trigger and ppointing to the ground. I looked at my dad and said "guess he seems more prepared than you"
    Thats exactly what Im talking about. The 8 and 10 yr old will pie corners before going in....It is great to see, and teach them right....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Thats exactly what Im talking about. The 8 and 10 yr old will pie corners before going in....It is great to see, and teach them right....
    Heck, my son was doing SAT with the unit before I had to take him to school and on family day we had them in the shoothouse with paintball guns. The good ole days/

The 10 year old can manipulate stoppages with my 9mm. She loves to practice with snap caps...

Its funny. Airsoft is a lower/ affordable version of paint ball. Usually you dont get welts when shot but you can. My son and freinds played all the time! ALOT....but once he got 12 or 13 and I move him to Hunting with me and took the hunter safety....Airsoft really went to wayside and in fact never did it again after hunter safety. Which is GOOD as I didnt EVER want him to mistake the two. they have EXCELLENT safety skills with a shotgun and a gun in general. He was just as good when he had his first BB gun and knew never to point. I say kids are kids but once a real gun comes in...you gotta "switch over" if that makes sense. you go from a boy that plays airsoft to a man sort of.......Im glad he did and that on his own. something clicked with him and he said..he...this is not how I should be with ANY FIREARM......

Watch him to airsoft did have me worried but he seem to "graduate" just fine and ok today. Still alot of supervision on parents part. I has the same rules as other posters. no headshot or close to each other and stuff like that. Hosted many events at my place to help them and watch them.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links