Kids and safety, cannot believe what I saw

This is a discussion on Kids and safety, cannot believe what I saw within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I visited my inlaws over the weekend for a birthday party and 10-12 boys were there with my nephew. They all had the airsoft guns ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Kids and safety, cannot believe what I saw

Kids and safety, cannot believe what I saw

I visited my inlaws over the weekend for a birthday party and 10-12 boys were there with my nephew. They all had the airsoft guns and were shooting in the backyard. I could not believe how they acted with these "toys". Growing up my first "gun" was a crossman bb gun and my father made sure that I followed the same rules that I now follow as a adult. Always loaded, safe direction, finger off the trigger, target and beyond. These "toys" are a perfect opportunity to introduce our kids to firearms and prepare them for the future. I am not a person that thinks toy guns are harmful or that video games create serial killers, but there is a difference between nerf guns and bb guns. I couldnt help but be the bad guy and atleast try to teach them a thing or two.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Sounds like a lack of involvement on the parent's part. Were the hosts gun owners?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Airsoft is a lot like paintball, right? If so, the only concern about saftey would be the eye protection. I understand your concern, but the airsoft guns were made to shoot one another with, Like a paintball gun (marker)
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

No they were not, I know that I sound cranky, but my 13 year old daughter was just as amazed as me. My nephews know better so they didnt like what I had to say. IMO, if a toy shoots a projectile other than nerf, there is no reason to point it at anyone.

You have to ask yourself, where do you draw the line with children between playing the now politically incorrect "cowboys and indians" or "cops and robbers" with cap guns and having to follow the range standard rules.

Sometimes kids need to be kids. Since you didn't say the ages involved I'm addressing the younger kids. Teens + may be a different story but they still need some "kid" time too.
    limatunes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post
    No they were not, I know that I sound cranky, but my 13 year old daughter was just as amazed as me. My nephews know better so they didnt like what I had to say. IMO, if a toy shoots a projectile other than nerf, there is no reason to point it at anyone.
    If they didnt have eye protection that should of been your main concern. IMO. However, with airsoft and paintball, they were designed to be pointed at others. IMO, its a great time as long as the protections that should be in place are in place...Look at it this way, at least they were not having a BB gun war.....
    kmagnuss, limatunes and Tzadik like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I know that kids will be kids, and it helps to make mistakes, but im talking about pointing them at each others face, acting like "gangsters" and shooting towards a street.

Well if they were'nt then I've got a lawsuit against the USMC,U.S.Goverment andU.S .Marshalls serv,this is what we do and did the majority of FOF,CQB training with,hmm............
    Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My kids have airsoft wars every weekend.
    The rules I inforce are....

Eye protection
    No shooting an opponent closer than 5 yards
    They must play where noncombatants will not be disturbed or accidently hit.
    Have lots and lots of fun!!!!

Airsoft is fairly popular. I would guess that there are hundreds of thousands of American boys who have played airsoft. You're dealing with a group of people with different viewpoints. I don't know what you're going to change.
    Guest1 likes this.

Maybe I just dont have enough experience with airsoft, To be honest I was under the impression it was a "safer" alternative to a bb gun. I didnt think they were made to shoot eachother, if so than I stand corrected. Pointing it at someones face is still extreme in my book.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    The parents need to set some rules and make sure they are followed.

Surely I'm not the only one here who still has a BB or two under the skin from a Red Ryder... only rule at my house was "wear goggles"
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

We had strict rules when we played with BB guns,no shooting in the head,and no shooting too close,and no crying if ya got shot too close,and no telling your mom how that bb got stuck in your butt if ya got shot too close.
    WHEC724 and kmagnuss like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    We had a one-pump rule that always got violated as the battle wore on. I'm sure I've still got a few bb's in me.
    kmagnuss likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links