Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb! - Page 2

Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

This is a discussion on Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey OP, I think you inadvertently invented a new word, and a darn good one at that! There wasn't anything wrong with the gun--just the ...

View Poll Results: Did Tims Ralsons gun "malfunction" causing a bullet to shred his thumb?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the gun manfunctioned and went off by itself.

6 4.55%
  • No, Poor weapons handling, He pulled the trigger and shot his thumb.

126 95.45%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

Hey OP, I think you inadvertently invented a new word, and a darn good one at that! There wasn't anything wrong with the gun--just the "man" holding it and pulling the trigger. So, therefore, it was a "manfunction"!

It's easier to blame the inanimate object that to admit on TV, with potentially millions of people watching the original broadcast and all the reruns, that you were a "dumb-A" and had your thumb in front of the muzzle when you pulled the trigger! He wins the "prize".
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I saw him on Fox new the other day and I thought he said that it was an experimental gun he was working with.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

Thumbs up I was there

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Recently I've been watching Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo. I think its a pretty entertaining show. On today's episode, Tim Ralston (creator of the well liked crovel) is showing himself and his family firing a guns in the Arizona desert. He seems like a very smart guy with things in order, but then.... he shoots himself in the thumb.

When asked by the camera man what happened he says "The damn thing... just misfired on it". Then he passes out. He gets evacuated by helicopter and apparently lost a knuckle. He then says again "It was one of those malfunctions... my thumb went in front of the barrel and it went off"

Man, I really hate how those dang handguns just "go off" when a thumb gets in front of it.

Once again this is just a reminder of safety and how important it is to always follow the basic rules. Who knows what would have happened had he not been surrounded by a filming crew.

I also think its funny that he doesn't accept responsibility for the accident but implies that the gun malfunctioned....

So what do you think? Did it malfunction?

Since I was there on the scene and reloading the new weapon system...I can dispel your poll. While I can't disclose what happened "yet", you will find you all were incorrect. I follow proper procedures and strict safety guidelines. Guys...accidents happen and it just so happens after 39 years of no accidents...Murphey's law occured.
    Tim

great way to give guns a bad name on nat tv.

My guns all dont work right..they only go off when, as another put it, the booger hook is on the trigger thingy"

whether I mean to pull it or not, or think I did..if it went off.....I DID.....they DONT go off by themselves.

My mother, a nurse, asked about "THAT" recently. not a gun user but interested in it..asked..do they just go off all the time like I hear they do.....Oh Boy I thought......

Look..he may not have thought he pulled it, or wanted to, but he did! and did what it was supposed to do......

my nickels worth.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Your Lying!!!!,your icon still has a thumb
    Quote Originally Posted by timralston View Post

Since I was there on the scene and reloading the new weapon system...I can dispel your poll. While I can't disclose what happened "yet", you will find you all were incorrect. I follow proper procedures and strict safety guidelines. Guys...accidents happen and it just so happens after 39 years of no accidents...Murphey's law occured.
    Tim
    Last edited by Guest1; February 15th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Tim
    That show is an embarrassment to the firearm community. Murphy's law does not include YOU putting your thumb in front of the muzzle of a loaded weapon.That isn't murphy's law. That is being inattentive due to the excitement of trying to appear a firearm guru on a show that pretty much is a hit piece on firearm owners. YOU allowed your weapon to cover something you did not want to destroy. YOU are responsible. Sorry to break the news to you Tim.
    Olduser and RockStrongo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    That show is an embarrassment to the firearm community. Murphy's law does not include YOU putting your thumb in front of the muzzle of a loaded weapon.That isn't murphy's law. That is being inattentive due to the excitement of trying to appear a firearm guru on a show that pretty much is a hit piece on firearm owners. YOU allowed your weapon to cover something you did not want to destroy. YOU are responsible. Sorry to break the news to you Tim.

I agree completely...what a stupid and worthless show.

Sponsor

Tim

Tim,

If it's a new design for a weapon, something that you can't divulge because you plan on patenting the design, I can understand and appreciate what you're are saying. I'm sorry that you have that injury and will have to deal with it for the rest of your life.

You are correct, accidents do happen. Would it be fair to say that you put your thumb in front of the barrel? (I think you mention that on the show). I think most would say that alone is poor weapons handling. However if it was an experimental design I can see that you may not have have pulled the trigger and it may have actually misfired, that part makes sense.

I wish that the producers of that show had explained that a little bit (in a way that didn't divulge the design), I think an uneducated viewer came away thinking guns just fire by themselves (which as you and I know isn't true for production guns on the market) and an educated viewer comes away thinking that you mishandled the firearm and didn't take responsibility. So, given that it was an experimental gun, I blame the show for how they portrayed the incident.

Good luck on your design, and safe shooting!

Clay

I wish that the producers of that show had explained that a little bit (in a way that didn't divulge the design), I think an uneducated viewer came away thinking guns just fire by themselves (which as you and I know isn't true for production guns on the market) and an educated viewer comes away thinking that you mishandled the firearm and didn't take responsibility. So, given that it was an experimental gun, I blame the show for how they portrayed the incident.

Clay
    It is no secret that national geographic is heavy with the anti-firearm programming.... in my opinions the scene did exactly as the producers wanted it to

12/08 National Geographic TV Takes Aim At Your Guns - Gun Owners Of America
    Guest1 and Dadsnugun like this.

Sponsor

In defense of show, I find it a bit entertaining. Yes, there are a number of people on there that reflect poorly on firearms ownership. But there are some people that really have their crap together. The best one was the family in Arizona who farmed fish in a pool. I think that was pretty impressive.

But, I must agree, it generally embarrasses the firearms community....

Sponsor
    It is no secret that national geographic is heavy with the anti-firearm programming.... in my opinions the scene did exactly as the producers wanted it to

12/08 National Geographic TV Takes Aim At Your Guns - Gun Owners Of America
    Sadly it seems you are correct...

Thanks for the link and the research.

In defense of show, I find it a bit entertaining. Yes, there are a number of people on there that reflect poorly on firearms ownership. But there are some people that really have their crap together. The best one was the family in Arizona who farmed fish in a pool. I think that was pretty impressive.

But, I must agree, it generally embarrasses the firearms community....
    Those kids should be playing in the pool not eating fish 3x a day from it.
    Mattmann likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Your Lying!!!!,your icon has a thumb
    haha, that one made me laugh

Sponsor
    Those kids should be playing in the pool not eating fish 3x a day from it.
    Maybe so, but I'll always support self sufficiency, or an attempt to achieve it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links