Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

This is a discussion on Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I watched the show when it first aired, and just watched the video link that was posted above. It is "convenient" that neither showed what ...

View Poll Results: Did Tims Ralsons gun "malfunction" causing a bullet to shred his thumb?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the gun manfunctioned and went off by itself.

6 4.55%
  • No, Poor weapons handling, He pulled the trigger and shot his thumb.

126 95.45%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

I watched the show when it first aired, and just watched the video link that was posted above. It is "convenient" that neither showed what "actually" happened! That was cut out of the broadcast. I'd like to see the original footage of how the gun "magically" missfired while his thumb was in front of the muzzle! What was the thumb doing infront of the muzzle at any time? Apparently he never learned the rule to "NEVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WISH TO DESTROY!"

Murphey's law and accidents DON'T just happen! It isn't "magic" or "karma" or "evil dwarves". It is HUMAN carelessness!

And if it WAS an "experimental" gun, then it was HUMAN error in the design and/or manufacturing process. But at any rate, HE put his thumb in the way of harm by putting it in front of the muzzle. Not the cameraman, not his sons, not some evil dwarf or knome!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Thanks for the link, I just added it to the OP

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    How do you lose a knuckle? Wouldn't you also lose what's attached south of that knuckle as well?
    Apparently they surgically reattached the top part of his thumb to a the lower part, removing a knuckle in the process.

Sponsor
    Look at the bright side, Tim has a built in catch phrase if he ever become a movie critic! "One and a half thumbs up!"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Thanks for the link, I just added it to the OP
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Well it did show him shooting a revolver, now this is i REALLY long stretch, but what if the idiot had his thumb on the side of the cylinder/wheel? I know caliber and "power" is whats needed to verify it happening, but id guess if you held your thumb next to the cylinder of a S&W 500, when you shoot, it wouldnt be a pretty aftermath... either way chalk it up to unsafe handling.
    JDE101 likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Hey Stuby, I suggest you get some professional training concerning gun saftey if all else fails STOP, DO NOT TOUCH, GET AN ADULT.

Hey. I just heard that now Tim is throwing in a free Kevlar glove with every Crovel purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Well it did show him shooting a revolver, now this is i REALLY long stretch, but what if the idiot had his thumb on the side of the cylinder/wheel? I know caliber and "power" is whats needed to verify it happening, but id guess if you held your thumb next to the cylinder of a S&W 500, when you shoot, it wouldnt be a pretty aftermath... either way chalk it up to unsafe handling.
    Good observation! And it wouldn't have to be a 500, either. I shot Silhouette years ago with a S&W .44 mag. When shooting a revolver in Credmore position, you HAD to use either a heavy leather or Kevlar shield to protect your thigh from the cylinder side-blast. I sure wouldn't want my thigh, or thumb, to suffer the damage done to my "shield"! Besides the "blast" from the gasses, some revolvers that got out of "time" and weren't perfectly aligned with the cylinder/barrel would "shave" a little lead and spit it out to the side as well. You also learned how to hold the revolver properly when shooting from standing position--and that meant keeping off-hand fingers and thumb OUT OF THE WAY!

If he was using a two handed high thumb grip like some people use with a semi-auto and used it with a large caliber revolver, it could do some bad damage to the thumb! And it could easily happen if he normally shoots that way with a semi-auto and didn't THINK when he switched to a revolver. At any rate, it would still be OPERATOR ERROR, and NOT a firearm "malfunction" or "murphy's law"!

Without the full video of what happened, it's all speculation anyway.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I hate it when my guns manfunction. Hahaha, what a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It is no secret that national geographic is heavy with the anti-firearm programming.... in my opinions the scene did exactly as the producers wanted it to

12/08 National Geographic TV Takes Aim At Your Guns - Gun Owners Of America
    Oh yeah, after I exhaust the accuracy and fair and balanced reporting from FOX, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, NY Times, I go to the folks that are always fair and balanced:
    Gun Owners of America LOL. Same folks that give us fear mongering that the UN is going to take our guns away.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Oh yeah, after I exhaust the accuracy and fair and balanced reporting from FOX, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, NY Times, I go to the folks that are always fair and balanced:
    Gun Owners of America LOL. Same folks that give us fear mongering that the UN is going to take our guns away.
    Yeah because that wasn't anti gun huh? Sorry Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Yeah because that wasn't anti gun huh? Sorry Sarah Brady
    Just would be curious to see the show. A review from GOA is far from being fair and balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just would be curious to see the show. A review from GOA is far from being fair and balanced.
    I don't know what your beef is with GOA, I would like to hear your stance.

As for your theory, I suppose the Brady Campaign supporting the show because it parrots their flawed statistics and motives would still make you rabidly defend it right? We all know the Brady campaigning is fair and balanced

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Books and Movies

National Geographic: Guns in America
    2008 [Documentary]

“300 million citizens, 270 million guns, 5 stories, and one thing in common: Gun Nation. National Geographic tells the story of America's connection with guns through the eyes of its citizens. From gangs, to local law enforcement, to gun hobbyists to a young mother: this documentary explores the lives of people with guns.” Click here for more info.
    Gotta hate those GOA people for defending that....

Just before Christmas, National Geographic Channel aired Guns In America, and employed Brady Campaign "statistics" to prove that guns in the home actually endangered families. Yet as Gun Owners of America points out, "The truth of the matter is actually quite encouraging for gun owners. Anti-gun researchers for the Clinton Justice Department found that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense, which means that each year, firearms are used more than 50 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives."
    Touche again my friend.

VIP Member
    These are the people who will be breeding and rebuilding society after doomsday?
    mano3 likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links