Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

This is a discussion on Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC Sadly it seems you are correct... Thanks for the link and the research. ^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^ They suck Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC haha, ...

View Poll Results: Did Tims Ralsons gun "malfunction" causing a bullet to shred his thumb?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the gun manfunctioned and went off by itself.

6 4.55%
  • No, Poor weapons handling, He pulled the trigger and shot his thumb.

126 95.45%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Sadly it seems you are correct...

Thanks for the link and the research.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

They suck

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    haha, that one made me laugh

^^^^Me too!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote; 1 old 0311,
    And he FAINTED????????? I took two 7.63X39 rounds THROUGH my stomach and walked to the chopper.

^^^^^^^^^
    I lost the tip of my thumb to a compressor belt on my truck for unloading Bulk chemical.
    Hanging on by the nerve, shut off truck, grabbed rag to apply to thumb, walked 30 yards to a crane operator, told him what happened, he radioed help, help came and drove me to the hospital.

BTW;

What is a 7.63x39, is that bigger than a 7.62x39???

JK, obviously a typo.

P.S.
    Glad you made it out alive 1 old 0311
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

This guy is such a tool, I like how in the video he says his thumb was " a catastrophic new weapon malfunction" and that he is always cool and calm under pressure.

Seems we are to be served a litany off self serving stupid behavior wrapped up in "reality" show's...witness a "series" of dysfunctional redneck woodtick salvage loggers, newbee hi lead loggers, newbee goldbug wanna bees out of Oregon, (shoulda stayed in the lower 48 cause they dont know what a drill is) the expert jerk Dakotas, or Nome ham'n'egger dredgers, or dimwitt "preppers" , or drama queen Hiline crabbers battleing a mighty production schedual in the brave new world of Bering Sea fisherys managment..all very predictable and trite...must be my age and experience...TOOLS, Spencer...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am pretty sure this was his fault. I hope he makes a recovery. I have not seen the show but I am not sure I want to now.

I can see Tim voting that the gun malfuntioned but....really? What was his thumb doing in the line of fire? Arent you supposed to not point at anything you're not willing to destroy?
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Those dam new guns. Why do they insist on putting the "anti-thumb" feature on them now? the next gun I buy I am gonna special order it without that feature if possible.....; ( what an idiot!)

Wait...you mean...you aren't supposed to fire a gun with the thumb over the muzzle?!?

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    Wait...you mean...you aren't supposed to fire a gun with the thumb over the muzzle?!?
    I shoot mine with my thumb over the barrel all the time but only after I look down the barrel to make sure it's not loaded. :-o

I'm totally kidding BTW.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Sadly, what happened to Tim can happen to any of us.

The minute you start thinking "I'm so smart this would never happen to me"

You think he went out with his sons and wanted to shoot himself? Tim is a very smart man & an inventor.

Mistakes happen. and every human is capable of making one.

The problem was that the gun failed to fire. (Probably was a bad primer). He was trying to clear the chamber and the slide wouldn't open so he moved his hand at a slight angle to get a better grip on the slide and then KABOOM. the gun went off because of a delayed primer.

It was a bad mistake and anyone could have one.

You always need to be aware of whats going on and just THINK about what you're doing.
    He could have ended up killing himself or anyone else out there.

Thankfully no one was seriously injured. But after seeing this happen in real time. It should make you wonder if keeping a loaded firearm around is such a great idea.

I personally own firearms and I don't keep any of them loaded. I keep the magazine in, minus one and ready to chamber if a real life threatening emergency comes.

Call me paranoid but I'd rather not have a mistake happen, especially with loved ones around.

I even know from some folks at the gun store. They handle firearms on a daily basis and sometimes they have had "negligent discharges"

So just be aware of whose around you. If you're going to be playing Rambo. do it alone so at-least you'll be the only person hurt.

VIP Member
    I have seen 10 minutes of 'Preppers' and the idiot shooting himself was the segment. Totally professional.

Quote Originally Posted by timralston View Post

Since I was there on the scene and reloading the new weapon system...I can dispel your poll. While I can't disclose what happened "yet", you will find you all were incorrect. I follow proper procedures and strict safety guidelines. Guys...accidents happen and it just so happens after 39 years of no accidents...Murphey's law occured.
    Tim
    As Al used to say on the toolman show,"I don't think so Tim".
    atctimmy likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Things happen . He who is without sin cast the first stone. I will be throwing no rocks. We can all learn from it.
    I am going out to do some night fire after dark. covered all the bases have it all worked out . Could something go wrong you bet. But not likely.

six? Who are you six????
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Time to come out. I am a so called prepper. Not like those on than dumb show. I don't buy the Mayna thing. And if the world flips poles I dead. Nuke I hope not.
    The natives going nuts when they don't get their stuff. Good chance . We have a group that will lock down here for as long as it takes weeks month even years.
    We have over time revisited how Our own people that first cleared this land did it and did our planning , we have some neat stuff and a good plan.
    But if you can't secure it your just holding it for the ones that will take it from you. We train we shoot we prepare but not like that dumb show.
    Last night I received two 6 foot two man saws, these saws were used on this very land in the 20's they are in great shape, now that will cut a thumb off.
    We are not all like the TV show heck you may even already know a few of us. He screwed up but that is on him not the rest of us.
    OD* and blitzburgh like this.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links