Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

This is a discussion on Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; News flash: An unexpected safety issue with weapons that have barrels shorter than 21 inches has been Identified . It was brought to the forefront ...

View Poll Results: Did Tims Ralsons gun "malfunction" causing a bullet to shred his thumb?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the gun manfunctioned and went off by itself.

6 4.55%
  • No, Poor weapons handling, He pulled the trigger and shot his thumb.

126 95.45%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Doomsday Preppers, Tim Ralston shoots his thumb!

News flash: An unexpected safety issue with weapons that have barrels shorter than 21 inches has been Identified . It was brought to the forefront when a well respect Prepper shot his Thumb off during taping. As a result all firearms manufactures are recalling all weapons with 21 inch or short barrels. At no cost they will be refitted and returned.
    The new safety device will prevent the thumb from passing in front of the weapon when fired. AG Holder has personally guaranteed the US post office will return every weapon.
    Ship you weapon postage due .
    Care of Carlos
    PO box 1
    Nuevo Laredo Mexico

2. Remove Ads

Regardless of what really happened, it's a good reminder that first aid is one way to be 'prepared.'

Awhile back I took the time to build first aid trauma kits (including Quikclot) for my range bag, my travel bag, and for all the vehicles. That Quikclot is really amazing stuff (just check out some of the army test videos on live pigs).

You just never know when you, or the person standing next to you might have an 'incident,' negligent or not. Just go to any indoor range and look at all the stray bullet holes on the benches, ceiling, target holders, etc...

I just saw a rerun of this episode on Nat Geo the other day. Are we sure he actually shot his thumb off, or is this all just a ploy for the drama. You never see him shoot the gun or you never see him missing the thumb. They show a picture of a thumb blasted off and one that has been stitched up, but never with him in the frame to prove it was his. Later in the show he was talking to the with his hand behind his back as if he was trying to hide it.

If it misfires ok, but still how would you have your thumb in front of the barrel? Must be some awkward grip.

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Well it did show him shooting a revolver, now this is i REALLY long stretch, but what if the idiot had his thumb on the side of the cylinder/wheel? I know caliber and "power" is whats needed to verify it happening, but id guess if you held your thumb next to the cylinder of a S&W 500, when you shoot, it wouldnt be a pretty aftermath... either way chalk it up to unsafe handling.
    Actually the Mythbusters did in fact do an episode showing the damage that can be done by the gasses coming out of the gap between the cylinder and the frame on a high powered revolver. They cast some chicken bones into a ballistics gel hand and wrapped it around the cylinder of a S&W 500. As I recall it did infact break a bone or two.
    atctimmy and mprp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    Regardless of what really happened, it's a good reminder that first aid is one way to be 'prepared.'

Awhile back I took the time to build first aid trauma kits (including Quikclot) for my range bag, my travel bag, and for all the vehicles. That Quikclot is really amazing stuff (just check out some of the army test videos on live pigs).

You just never know when you, or the person standing next to you might have an 'incident,' negligent or not. Just go to any indoor range and look at all the stray bullet holes on the benches, ceiling, target holders, etc...
    So this morning, less than 24 hrs after the post above, I was at the range when a notice a guy at the shop sink behind my bay bleeding all over the place. Turns out he had a really bad slide bite. He didn't even have a band aid on him (not that it would have helped much), so I fixed him up with two gauze pads and some medical tape.

Just crazy that the first time I've used the kit in my range bag is the day after posting about it!

Another idiot on a show with others. I watched one and that was enough.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Crap happens. Humans make mistakes. What else is there to say?

Oh man, that croval thing is cool!

5 pages of posts to point out the dimwit was

a: flagging himself

b: Booger Hook on the trigger.

flyguy8555 likes this.

Sponsor
    There has continually been at least one loaded gun in my house for 30 years now. Not a single malfunction that involved the loss of a limb or a hole in anything. I guess my guns don't work right.

Anything mechanical can malfunction. If you are safe in your practices then the malfunction is nothing more than a PITA. The problem here isn't that accidents happen. It's that some people refuse to take responsibility for their stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock191 View Post
    Sadly, what happened to Tim can happen to any of us.

The minute you start thinking "I'm so smart this would never happen to me"

You think he went out with his sons and wanted to shoot himself? Tim is a very smart man & an inventor.

Mistakes happen. and every human is capable of making one.

The problem was that the gun failed to fire. (Probably was a bad primer). He was trying to clear the chamber and the slide wouldn't open so he moved his hand at a slight angle to get a better grip on the slide and then KABOOM. the gun went off because of a delayed primer.

It was a bad mistake and anyone could have one.

You always need to be aware of whats going on and just THINK about what you're doing.
    He could have ended up killing himself or anyone else out there.

Thankfully no one was seriously injured. But after seeing this happen in real time. It should make you wonder if keeping a loaded firearm around is such a great idea.

I personally own firearms and I don't keep any of them loaded. I keep the magazine in, minus one and ready to chamber if a real life threatening emergency comes.

Call me paranoid but I'd rather not have a mistake happen, especially with loved ones around.

I even know from some folks at the gun store. They handle firearms on a daily basis and sometimes they have had "negligent discharges"

So just be aware of whose around you. If you're going to be playing Rambo. do it alone so at-least you'll be the only person hurt.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I didn't read all 8 pages of replies, but I don't think anyone has mentioned why the hell would he be using an "experimental weapon/firearm" with 3 kids standing around him? I call BS on that and say he just midhandled a regular gun and put his thumb in front of the barrel in his excitement of being on TV. Why would you shoot anything experimental with your kids standing by? BS

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    And he FAINTED????????? I took two 7.63X39 rounds THROUGH my stomach and walked to the chopper.
    I had to laugh, too, sir. But I only took one .357 Sig round through one leg (left a baseball-sized hole) and into the other, and walked up a flight of stairs to the ambulance. I bow to your toughness!
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    Way to go prepers, two weeks in/one's been disarmed so far...
    Not disarmed, just disthumbed.

Here's a YouTube video, but they cut out where the actual shot was:

Tim Shoots His Thumb Off on 'Doomsday Preppers' Shooting "accident" on firing range - YouTube

I saw this episode after it was on TV. I couldn't believe that he did that. He should have been more careful especially while trying to teach his kids gun shooting/safety.

VIP Member
    Reality show so what is real abt it. It does sell commercials....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links