Taking James Yeagers Fighting Handgun course this week - Page 2

Taking James Yeagers Fighting Handgun course this week

This is a discussion on Taking James Yeagers Fighting Handgun course this week within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the course last March (2011) in a Mobile Class near Atlanta for 2 days. First Class training, lots of info you do need a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Taking James Yeagers Fighting Handgun course this week

Took the course last March (2011) in a Mobile Class near Atlanta for 2 days. First Class training, lots of info you do need a real good ball point pen to take notes with and shot more than 700 rounds at "The Castle" where the 12 of us trained with the 1 instructor and 2 assistance folks. All First Class Training, with the photographer. The next time I take this class will be up in Tenn where James is located.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    God willing my retina will be completely healed soon and I will take it.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    You are wise not taking even the slightest risk with an eye.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You are wise not taking even the slightest risk with an eye.
    I know, when I walked into Retna Associates in Tucson they put me in the operating room within ten minutes of my initial exam.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Don't agree to be the camera man either.....
    I couldn't stop laughing when I read this because of this article.

VIP Member
    This video caused quite a stir in the area of firearms training. One instructor in particular slammed them pretty hard until a video of one of his classes in a shoot house led to pages upon pages of comments and arguments and led to him being removed as a certified instructor for Larry Vickers.

Again I have no ties to Tactical Response or Yeager but I would like to give an opinion.

I have trained in many different scenarios and instructors. I have trained with specialized military and police units worldwide. Part of that training was firing with persons beside, behind, below and in front of me. In many circles just as he stated in the video was the cardinal sin, but as also stated if you cant do it on a square range how can you be expected to do it in real life.

I am not saying that next time you go shoot have your partner stand downrange it is not for everyone. Nowadays in many classes instructors use remote cameras instead of live folks pushing the shutter buttons but to each his own. It all comes down to your comfort level and the professionalism of the instructor and his staff.

Personally don't have a problem with it but again to each his own.
    First Sgt likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    This video caused quite a stir in the area of firearms training. One instructor in particular slammed them pretty hard until a video of one of his classes in a shoot house led to pages upon pages of comments and arguments and led to him being removed as a certified instructor for Larry Vickers.

Again I have no ties to Tactical Response or Yeager but I would like to give an opinion.

I have trained in many different scenarios and instructors. I have trained with specialized military and police units worldwide. Part of that training was firing with persons beside, behind, below and in front of me. In many circles just as he stated in the video was the cardinal sin, but as also stated if you cant do it on a square range how can you be expected to do it in real life.

I am not saying that next time you go shoot have your partner stand downrange it is not for everyone. Nowadays in many classes instructors use remote cameras instead of live folks pushing the shutter buttons but to each his own. It all comes down to your comfort level and the professionalism of the instructor and his staff.

I have done the bold part as well, but IMO this guy takes the cake. I take no absolutes as it pertains to firearms training. Training with someone else that goes low and you go high, or side by side, etc, is different than sending a camera man to sit in front of shooters that may not have a lot of training.

I understand exactly what you are saying. I will avoid his training like the plague, I would respect him more if his training was more like what you and I have been thru. JMO.....
    sgb likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have done the bold part as well, but IMO this guy takes the cake. I take no absolutes as it pertains to firearms training. Training with someone else that goes low and you go high, or side by side, etc, is different than sending a camera man to sit in front of shooters that may not have a lot of training.

I understand exactly what you are saying. I will avoid his training like the plague, I would respect him more if his training was more like what you and I have been thru. JMO.....
    I disagree with this training because there is no training value added that can not be done with a remote camera. Like you said, some of us have this experience with live fire but that is done with professionals and is needed for training. The camera man who is the one in danger is not being trained. Whoever taught this guy risk assesment needs to go back to the drawing board. Whenever we did live fire we had body armor on also. Another thing that is lacking in this video. (At least non I could see.)
    sgb and Toorop like this.

Probably one of the easiest things in the world, is to sit back and critique something that you have only seen on film, read about, or have not personally experienced, but you are offering an opinion based on just that.."OPINION".... I have to agree with "tacman605". I have to agree with "stress" training as stated in Yeagers response as well as "seeing the front site under stress"... I've trained with Tactical Response, and have personally trained with both James Yeager and Jay Gibson (the photographer)...Many folks don't like Yeager...Well, I can only say, if you haven't trained with him or Jay Gibson, if you haven't experienced their knowledge which they gladly and readily impart to their students, if you haven't had the opportunity to stand in front of the training class at the end and express your displeasure with the training you've received and get a full refund on your costs, then I encourage you to approach these videos and training at Tactical Response with an open mind...I don't work for TR nor am I personal friends with Yeager or Gibson, other than to have trained under them, but I would certainly be willing to have them with me ANYTIME in a SHTF situation. They've forgotten more than many of us will ever have the opportunity to experience or learn...JMO
    tacman605 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have trained with JY before he started Tactical Response when he was assisting Andy Stanford. Very knowledgeable guy, charismatic and enthusiastic instructor.

The cameraman thing was straight up dumb. Even if the guns were never intentionally pointed at him, they were conducting immediate action drills with certainly less muzzle discipline and must have lasered him repeatedly at one time or another. Just so unnecessary.
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar

There is a very big difference when training with "specialized military and police units", I suspect all involved were highly trained.
    I watched a youtube video with Cory & Erika taking training with Yeager, you can see the camera man down the line from then between the targets. I assume it is the same guy, maybe a different cameraman, the first one is still in recovery.

My point is Erika says it was great training with people of variying skill levels. There is a big diference between doing that with a bunch of skilled experienced shooters and shooters of variying skill levels

VIP Member
    Again to each his own. What I consider safe, practical or real world training others would have a heart attack over.

Yeager and crew know their business and teach in a certain way some like it some don't.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yeager and crew know their business and teach in a certain way some like it some don't.
    I believe they may know their stuff,but there is a difference between highly skilled shooters,and a class of shooters that were everything from Novice to experienced.
    When I was an LEO,there were certain Officers that the Smart LEO's knew to never get in front of during a possible deadly force situation,with most of that knowledge coming from actual Snafu's at the Gun Range,or during building clearings when you look behind you and your backup is sweeping you with his 357 magnum.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Absolutely Duke and there still are people I am cautious around. I am betting though the photographer evaluates things and people before he does this and it is probably not on the first day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links