Thoughts on Trigger Finger Placement

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Trigger Finger Placement within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thoughts On Trigger Finger Placement Typically, people are taught to keep their finger off of the trigger unless they are in the process of triggering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Trigger Finger Placement

August 19, 1970 - June 2012

Thoughts on Trigger Finger Placement

Thoughts On Trigger Finger Placement

Typically, people are taught to keep their finger off of the trigger unless they are in the process of triggering the gun.
    Some trainers are satisfied with merely telling the students this. The problem with 'off the trigger' is that it is very nebulous. It allows the shooter to engage a wide variety of 'finger not on trigger positions' instead of assigning a definitive place for it to be. It is my belief that this lack of a definitive position is the proximate cause of a number of NDs in the community each year.
    DC, ksholder and RichB70 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I will have to try that and see how it feels. It is different, my index finger sits on the frame. Thanks for sharing Paul.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

My trigger finger rests on the side of the frame. My body memory or sensation tells me its extended and located on the side of the frame. Just now I (checked the gun was safe) and tested what he demonstrated. While this works, its alien to my "automatic" finger placement. I've never encountered a situation where my trigger finger moved around. Its plastered against the side. I've done this for so long that changing now would require re-training to adapt to new sensory feedback. I think I will just do what now comes naturally for me.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Sponsor
    Thanks Paul for sharing with us...

I do concur, that my friend Mas Ayoob's trigger finger placement method can cause an clenched "Fist-Reflex" type action and slide off onto the trigger causing the gun to go BANG! Especially when your hands get sweaty.

I first noticed this on handgun strikes (less lethal options). That is why I groove the left side of the dust cover to act as a memory groove (if you will) for my trigger finger (it also matches the grooves on the right side where the off hand thumb goes, so it both looks cool and is functional).

But on a stock (non stippled, non grooved or non texturized) Glock, your method makes good sense.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Superlative! To me this is like playing golf on a new course with someone that is familiar with the layout. I HATE it when they tell me where not to hit the ball. The last thing I need to have as a visualization on the tee is "Don't hit it left here". I'm thinking left in the process of setting up. Tell me where to hit the ball. Give me a target. Give my mind a task to accomplish as opposed to a "Don't" or negative image.

A positive image/instruction/idea "Do this" is always better than a mind cluttering negative of what not to do. It used to crack up my kids when I'd tell them "Let's try to keep the milk in the glass or your mouth". That is better, to me, than "Don't spill the milk"... it is a set of positive actions to accomplish rather than a negative cornucopia of actions to avoid.

Last thought - if you haven't watched EVERY video Mr. Gomez has posted, stop what you're doing and watch 'em all. GREAT INSTRUCTION that is positive, reasoned and explained in such a way as to develop the thoughts that go into his reasons for his opinion. They all remind me of Jeff Cooper's instructions that I've watched from YouTube.

Thanks, Paul for sharing.
    When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion. - C. P. Snow

wdp
    While I think his overall concept of finger placement is good, it will not work if your firearm is equiped with a Crimson Trace grip mounted laser. Your finger will impede the the lens. Just my .02FWIW and something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by wdp View Post
    While I think his overall concept of finger placement is good, it will not work if your firearm is equiped with a Crimson Trace grip mounted laser. Your finger will impede the the lens. Just my .02FWIW and something to consider.
    Correct. This is the main reason I don't like the Crimson trace. I don't know if it's on or not and causes confusion.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Good video and concept--especially if you are a new or relatively new shooter. However, I'm 70 years old, have been shootng since I was 13 years old, have been shooting handguns for many years and have developed "muscle memory" that I don't intend to chage at this point. I learned as a kid to "keep my finger off the trigger until ready to shoot", and that meant to keep it straight! With my 1911, my trigger finger is straight/slightly angled up along the frame/slide with no curl to it. Not quite as high as his, but close. That's the way I've always done it.

I guess since I've been keeping my trigger finger "straight" for many years is also the reason I've never had a problem with a SERPA holster! I prefer my leather holsters (leather is just "cooler" than kydex) but have never had any issues with a SERPA as some people do. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Looks like good idea, I will have to work on it and see if it is for me! Thanks for sharing it.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Personally, I don't find that trigger position to be especially ergonomically appealing. The trigger finger is not naturally pointing in what its default, most relaxed tendency manner would be.

I have managed to even punch somebody in the chest hard with the pistol muzzle and not shoot them. (I don't recommend such a movement, but it was what it was at that moment.)
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Sorry I've been AWOL, guys. Just getting back from the RangeMaster Tactical Conference in Memphis. Thanks for the comments. I know it does feel awkward initially but I think it pays dividends.

Chad, while you may never have an issue with your trigger finger creeping onto the trigger, I lot of folks do. The fact that the finger is not relaxed is, to my way of thinking, one of the positive attributes of this position. By forcing the trigger finger to be in a fixed location that, under pressure, will further lock the finger into position until a conscious decision to move it is made, the likelihood of that finger winding up on the trigger by accident is decreased.

Nice informative video. Thanks for sharing. Not sure I like the placement he chooses for the finger, but if it works for him, great. I'm always open to learning new things, especially when it comes to safety, so I will give it a try and see how it feels. I've never had any issue though with having my finger lined up along the frame.

VIP Member
    I have been working on it. Works well with some but not so well with my 3"1911. the G-26 or G-19 feels good and I like the "Awareness" of the finger.

sgb
    As in most things there is no ONE correct way, there are several. Choose the one which works best for you.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

fm2
    Thanks for posting the video, many thoughtful points brought to light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links