What should an instructor AVOID doing? Horror stories, please! - Page 2

What should an instructor AVOID doing? Horror stories, please!

This is a discussion on What should an instructor AVOID doing? Horror stories, please! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leave your political views at the door!!!! Students are there to learn how to shoot and use a firearm and possible defend themselves. I'm sure ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What should an instructor AVOID doing? Horror stories, please!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Leave your political views at the door!!!!

Students are there to learn how to shoot and use a firearm and possible defend themselves. I'm sure many gun people vote and view politics the same, however, a scared student who may had just had a traumatic incident in their lives who may not agree with our political views may be in your course. The last thing they want to hear is a attack on personal beliefs. I'm a firm believer that people will be open to exploring alternatives if they don't hear things about a political party they may volunteer or even work for. Hook them with the positive training, build the defensive mindset in the end it will pay dividends.

Debates and arguments won't change some bodies mind expect ally if it's rooted in years of programming. However teaching new skills and abilities will get the wheels turning and possible change them in the other areas.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; February 25th, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post

I think the idea of taking on going education is the best way. In one of my classes the instructors said "Whenever I take a class I will follow the teachers instructions and never say well I teach it like this or so and so does it this that. Sometimes I will take away something better that works which is better for me and my students.

You dont know, what you dont know, until you realise that you did not know it.
    I agree...the best way to develop YOUR method of instruction and YOUR syllabus/curriculum/approach, is to attend the "TRAINING" classes of REPUTABLE and SUCCESSFUL INSTRUCTORS. Observe their techniques, approaches, successess. Adapt to YOUR style and develop each and every time you instruct. Never cease having an open mind to other intructor techniques that are successful and try to attend new training annually. Take some of "their" instructor courses as well...It should/will be an ongoing process for you...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I teach non-certificate "community classes" to our church members on handgun safety and personal defense. These classes are intended to get them thinking about safety and to whet their appetite for more instruction. There is a top notch training facility in my area (also a 5 star indoor range) that goes way beyond what I cover so I refer my students to them if they want to go deeper. I merely cover the basics and a broad range of topics to stimulate discussion.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

cj
    Avoid absolutes, close-mindedness, and a know-it-all attitude.

Had one instructor shake his head sadly at me telling me I should have taken his class before wasting money on a 9mm, as it was useless for self defense, and that the best self defense option was a 7 round .38 revolver. He loved that one student had borrowed a 642 for the class, claiming it was a great choice and probably worth $1,200. Also claimed glaser safety slugs as the end-all be-all of defensive ammunition based on a test he did shooting watermelons 20+ years ago. So he had absolute certainty that he knew everything about guns, and that old opinions are set in stone...a real disservice to his students. Most probably would never know, but a few will probably go on to learn much more.

Also, never try to belittle or embarrass...it can backfire a bit. One instructor was trying to show the class how useless it was to shoot beyond a certain range by having the class take long range shots. One student hit, and to prove it was a fluke, he had everyone do it again to show it couldn't be repeated. Guess which student scored an even better hit the next round?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    when a question is asked.....you pause and think--why did he/she ask that?

if you understand where the student went off the path, you know where to start repairing their knowledge.

when you answer a question--be observant of the student: did they understand the answer or are they just nodding their head? your 1st answer is likely repeating/rewording from the manual. back that up with a analogy.

as you gain experience you will develope your own style of "lets think about it from this POV".
    perhaps co-teach 3 classes with a seasoned instructor.
    if you are alone, keep the classes small; 4...maybe 5. 6 is hard to give personalized attention to each.

invite spouses and SO's to sit in free ( no cert of course). it shows you care cause if there is going to be a gun in the house, others should at the least be able to handle and safe it correctly. and they may return with a friend for the course.

pick a area of wall that is where the muzzle points and gently enforce muzzle control, no sweeping.

have no live ammo in the same room as you are instructing. or pad locked in a green box

have a pockeet gun on you--in 20 years i've never needed it but a couple of times it was comforting that i had it.
    than i stopped open classes. by referral is my methodology.

whats been said about patience and not raising your voice

good luck.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Don't "sit in" on another instructor's class as an invited guest, and then on the break come up and tell me what you thought that I should have mentioned or what you think I didn't explain enough or what you do in your class.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Leave your political views at the door!!!!

Students are there to learn how to shoot and use a firearm and possible defend themselves. I'm sure many gun people vote and view politics the same, however, a scared student who may had just had a traumatic incident in their lives who may not agree with our political views may be in your course. The last thing they want to hear is a attack on personal beliefs. I'm a firm believer that people will be open to exploring alternatives if they don't hear things about a political party they may volunteer or even work for. Hook them with the positive training, build the defensive mindset in the end it will pay dividends.

Debates and arguments won't change some bodies mind expect ally if it's rooted in years of programming. However teaching new skills and abilities will get the wheels turning and possible change them in the other areas.
    Everyone else has made good points but this one needs to be re-emphasized. Keep the politics out of it just like this site does. In class or here on the forum people want to learn about guns and self defense, not what you or others think about this politician or this law etc.

Someone new to guns could be turned off by highly charged political rhetoric. And remember, not all of us gun guys are conservatives.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAInstrctor View Post
    Don't "sit in" on another instructor's class as an invited guest, and then on the break come up and tell me what you thought that I should have mentioned or what you think I didn't explain enough or what you do in your class.
    GOOD POINT! I once worked in LA then was hired in nearby San Bernardino doing the same type of work. They *really* didn't want to hear how we did it LA! Then I moved to Appalachia... I kept my ears open and mouth shut, thankfully, realizing that they were not all that keen on hearing how we did it in California.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice so far: please, keep it coming. I guarantee you that this thread will be carefully reviewed many times as we prepare to teach.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Listen to a persons situation and experience level before recomending a firearm. And don't refer to your 1911 as an "experts gun"

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Show the class, then work with the individuals in the class. Some positions are not comfortable so work with them to modify grip and stance that works for them AS LONG AS IT IS SAFE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links