What should an instructor AVOID doing? Horror stories, please!

This is a discussion on What should an instructor AVOID doing? Horror stories, please! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My hero Sixto wrote on another thread, Originally Posted by SIXTO ...I cannot stand the "instructors" who take a weekend NRA course and now they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What should an instructor AVOID doing? Horror stories, please!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

My hero Sixto wrote on another thread,
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...I cannot stand the "instructors" who take a weekend NRA course and now they are knowledgable enough to teach others. Most of the time, these types do far more harm than they do good...
    My daughter and I will be taking an NRA instructor's course this summer, and at some point expect to teach basic pistol courses for the church ladies who wish to carry. (We may delay it considering his advice, but one has to start somewhere.) I've asked on the other thread how to best prepare for this, and Limatunes started her own thread recently which will be very helpful. I'll also be digging through the various threads here to properly do my homework.

But Sixto's post suggested another way to learn as well: by non-example.

SOoooo: when you read Sixto's post, what came to mind? What sort of behaviors should we be darned-tootin' careful to avoid? What attitudes, teaching methods, falsehoods, myths, biases, or anything else should we put on our 'remember not to do this' list?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Well, I am a fairly new instructor, but I will throw out some things I am trying to avoid. I also am lucky that I teach with several others with far more years of experience than I have, which helps.

First is you absolutely have to have firearms safety down. IF you set a poor example, then your students will follow. There was a thread on here not to long ago about a instructor that shot a student. That is the extreme end.

The next thing that I try to do is I continue to be a student. I am looking for further training opportunities, and always trying to learn more and more. I don't know everything, I freely admit that. I think that any instructor who says that they know everything probably doesn't.

Going along with that, some instructors seem to think that their way is the greatest way ever, and everyone has to do things just like them (this applies to firearm selection as well). When students ask me "What gun should I buy?" I run them through a series of questions which narrows it down to several choices from reputable makers that they should consider (often this is accompanied by them at least holding and usually shooting the different options), but I never say "You should all only shoot "X" because it is what works best for me."

Stick with the teaching methods the NRA suggests, they suggest them for a reason.

Make sure that everyone else understands what you are explaining, even if it makes sense in your mind, it may not in theirs. I try to keep things simple, and build up to the more complex gradually.

I treat men and women the same, which is as paying customers who are there to gain knowledge. There is no sexual bias on my part. I don't try to intimidate the women students, nor do I try to coddle them. I don't flirt with them either.

I think that is a good start for now, I look forward to seeing what others share.
    sgb, WHEC724 and oneshot like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

NEVER yell HEY when you have a new shooter on the line. It's a coin toss as to if the muzzle follows the eyes to see what you want.

Never belittle your students.
    sgb likes this.

Never be afraid to admit that you were wrong about something and change your mind. I sat through a Rob Pincus class and he said that any instructor that can't bring themselves to change their mind needs to find a new career and stop teaching. The more I've learned, the more I've learned what I don't know.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Grip the gun firmly, like it's a credit card your husband is trying to take from you
    HKinNY likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Grip the gun firmly, like it's a credit card your husband is trying to take from you
    My sister lost her credit card once and my father did not report it stolen, The theif spent less than she did. Will be all week. Dont forget to tip the waitress and try the veal.

I think the idea of taking on going education is the best way. In one of my classes the instructors said "Whenever I take a class I will follow the teachers instructions and never say well I teach it like this or so and so does it this that. Sometimes I will take away something better that works which is better for me and my students.

You dont know, what you dont know, until you realise that you did not know it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    You dont know, what you dont know, until you realise that you did not know it.
    Very very true, and simply put, I listen to others talk and sometimes mention what you wrote, but I like the way you put it. I oughta make that my sig line!
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    KISS, KISS. Basics when it comes to firearms has a meaning. Emphasize the basics and go from there, particularly when it comes to the intimacy of the firearm. State laws and other extraneous info can be altered to accomodate your students but the basics of the firearm and its safety have to have a clear and unmistakeable 100% certainty to them---keep them simple so there is no room for misinterpretation. If there is a real range shooting test for the CCWP, it is also a time for very firm and unmistakeable appreciation of your course. If someone does not pay attention at this point, they should not be allowed to continue the course and this course of action should be spelled out in the agreement you have with a student---at the range, your course will be terminated and you will not receive a refund for flagrant safety violations--tape the range course, if possible. Student may return at later date (maybe).

I was a instructor a while ago and a couple of my closest friends were also N R A instructors. and what I noticed is not long after they became certified instructors their own personal safety with firearms went down the tubes. it seems that some people when they become certified instructors they seem to think they are now ((certified no it alls)) and their safety with firearms became very sloppy. They were actually much safer before they became instructors. It seems that some people after they get certified think they can do no wrong,,,just something to keep in your mind there is only one way to handle a gun safely there is not double standards. So as you're teaching your students also be teaching yourself every time. And do not become greedy and try to take on too many students at one time when and if you are doing shooting at the range

I'd say avoid shooting yourself or a student

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    Eaglebeak and tcox4freedom like this.
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    I was a instructor a while ago and a couple of my closest friends were also N R A instructors. and what I noticed is not long after they became certified instructors their own personal safety with firearms went down the tubes. it seems that some people when they become certified instructors they seem to think they are now ((certified no it alls)) and their safety with firearms became very sloppy. They were actually much safer before they became instructors. It seems that some people after they get certified think they can do no wrong,,,just something to keep in your mind there is only one way to handle a gun safely there is not double standards. So as you're teaching your students also be teaching yourself every time. And do not become greedy and try to take on too many students at one time when and if you are doing shooting at the range
    There are instructors and there are instructors. As I paraphrase something once said in a vice presidential debate, I knew instructors, I worked with instructors, and I took classes with instructors, and your friends Jdp, were not instructors.

Give a new shooter a full magazine when they shoot the first time. if this doesnt cause your heart to skip a beat some day...
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Avoid absolutes. Keep an open mind, and do not be afraid of being wrong. Above all be prepared for the class.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I'm always fond of the Einstein quote: "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Make sure you fully FULLY understand what you are teaching, but stay open to discussion with students. Last class I took one of the students had taken more training experience than the instructor and it made for some good thought provoking conversations.

Be sure to explain things simply, but don't make them feel like they are kindergarteners and you are trying to explain how to color. It can be a darn fine line.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links