At what distances do you practice?

This is a discussion on At what distances do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me its maximum 25-30 yards and will put 500+ hundred rounds a year at this distance. The vast majority of my Concealed carry training ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: At what distances do you practice?

For me its maximum 25-30 yards and will put 500+ hundred rounds a year at this distance. The vast majority of my Concealed carry training is from arms reach to 15 yards. I spend 95 percent of my time and ammo 15 yards or less. And I would venture a guess that 50-60 percent of my time is CQB 5 yards to arms reach from the holster or low ready, moving and shooting and shooting from flat on back, on the ground both sides, and weak handed. Before I fire a round on a training day I spend 5-10 minutes running through stoppage drills and speed reloads. I would estimate on the low end I fire 5000-7000 rounds a year. Its all about quality trigger time, not just making something go bang. But thats just my unqualified Newb position.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Sorry to disagree. There has never been in my 70 years and there never will be a case where I will be aiming my firearm at something that is say more than 10 yards away (10 is IMO about it for distance) to end a threat--it just is not imminent and, quite frankly, at those kind of longer distances, I cannot even be sure what is REALLY going on. I think we are talking "what if" here and it is always out there. Personally, "what if" is a phrase for this thread and not for me in real life. As I said, 70 years and no what ifs or anything approaching one.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The purpose of a carry permit is to defensive against an imminent threat. An active shooter walks into a mall 100 years away from you and all you're armed with a a handgun, your best defense is take cover and prepare for the chance that the shooter heads your way. 100 yards with a handgun is, at best, irresponsible.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. The purpose of a carry permit is to defensive against an imminent threat. An active shooter walks into a mall 100 years away from you and all you're armed with a a handgun, your best defense is take cover and prepare for the chance that the shooter heads your way. 100 yards with a handgun is, at best, irresponsible.
    A carry permit is just that. Nowhere on it do the words close, range or defensive appear. Whether or not one chooses to intervene depends upon circumstances, equipment, training and moral imperative.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Well, zero to a thousand yards is a pretty good answer.

From what I'm learning about my methods, that zero part is very important - very important.

How far is the target?

With my handguns I practice from 1 yard to 50 yards. Most of my practice is within 25 yards. At the range I am a member of we have steel at 100, 200, and 300. I have hit at 200 and 300 from the bench or the creedmore position as part of a match we had last summer. It is fun to ring the steel at 100 yards with a Glock. I do hunt with my Super Blackhawk so I practice at extended ranges with that too, but I usually keep it to 75 yards. The great thing about long range practice with a handgun is that any errors are tremendously exaggerated so you can use it as a training tool. The Border Patrol qual used to require 16 rounds at 50 yards, you would be surprised how many people have trouble even hitting the paper at 50 yards.

And no, I do not hang out in any malls.

When I was on the PD pistol team and shot PPC in the 80's I did all of my practice at 50 yards. My reasoning was that if I could put everything in a 6" circle with my duty gun at 50 yards everything else is childs play. From bad breath to about 3 yards I fire from the retention position, from 3-15 it is point shoulder, indexing the pistol, and from 15 out I use aimed fire.

The "average" citizen not needing a gun until they are at bad breath distance could mean several things, but usually because they missed danger cues and were caught off guard and are now in a reactive fight where the BG has seized initiative, just like cop gunfights. At this point you better be very good or very lucky, or both.

I practice from 3 feet to hundred yards. I don't have any grand illusions about long range gunfights, but I like to shoot. I also recognize that the longer ranges help you tweak your form and follow through. In other words, if you are decent at 100 yards, you are awesome at 3......

From the conventional 7, all the way out to 30. A bit longer with the AR.

I was a boy scout, I learned being over-prepared, was much better than under - prepared.

Ya'all do what you want, and hopefully you won't ever have to find out. Myself, I'm been shot at more than a few times, I'm going prepared for whatever happens and what I have seen happen.

I'm going to always try to be prepared to shoot back effectively, whether they are shooting at me from 1 yrd to 100 yrds. .... because I've seen and been in both situations.

You can play the percentages, and when something happens, hope it falls within those parameters, and when you run into a situation that isnt', well... guess that's not going to go well for ya.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

don't want to get in a raging argument over this but I find it very difficult to beleive that if you were sitting at a table in a crowded mall & someone walked in with a gun that you'd engage them acrloss a crowded room at 40-50 yds ... it's one thing to practice at a range, it's quite another to be in an actual gun fight & need to engage someone at those distances, there's a reason defensive instructors teach their classes at reatively close distances ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz View Post
    don't want to get in a raging argument over this but I find it very difficult to beleive that if you were sitting at a table in a crowded mall & someone walked in with a gun that you'd engage them acrloss a crowded room at 40-50 yds ... it's one thing to practice at a range, it's quite another to be in an actual gun fight & need to engage someone at those distances, there's a reason defensive instructors teach their classes at reatively close distances ...
    If they were an active shooter, why do you have a hard time believing it?
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Practice at 3 to 25 cubits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimber Ultra CDPII= 20yds
    Ruger LCP = 10yds

AR-15 =600 +/- (no wind)

For me personally, 5' to 30.' In most of my situations, should I ever be so unfortunate to experience this, the handgun will likely be used to get me to a rifle or shotgun.
    Ruger SP101 3" .357
    Taurus 941UL .22WMR
    Mini-14
    H&R Pardner Pump 20

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I have read and believe that most life threatening scenarios will occur in very close quarters. Therefore I typically use distances of 2-5 yds for my target practice. What about you?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Same here.

VIP Member
    handgun--0 to 65 yards
    AR--7 to 200 yards

I practice various combos of targets each time so I don't get lulled into the same routine over and over
    I also go to the 100 rifle range and "play" with the Glock 17 and 30 some

do I want to fire on a target 50 yards away with my handgun? only if I'm forced to and able to take the shot given the circumstances
    being a LEO....I may have to
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links