At what distances do you practice?

This is a discussion on At what distances do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Nimitz there's a reason defensive instructors teach their classes at reatively close distances ... Depends on who you take your classes with....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: At what distances do you practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz View Post
    there's a reason defensive instructors teach their classes at reatively close distances ...
    Depends on who you take your classes with.
    Mike1956 and Guest1 like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Depends on who you take your classes with.
    Yup, the next one I am signed up for is an ASK class, which was booked solid seven months in advance.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yup, the next one I am signed up for is an ASK class, which was booked solid seven months in advance.
    Despite the name Advanced Close-Range Gunfighting, S.I. takes it's students out to 100+yds in this class. Also the Active Shooter/Terrorist interdiction class.

Again, I don't train for 'average'.

VIP Member
    I posted this scenario two years ago. It got a lot of responses and made some think about their training. Lets see what it does now.

It is not meant to bash those who only train at close range it is to make you think outside your comfort zone and to answer honestly based on your level of training. Remember you do not dictate the situation the bad guy does and he may not have read the stats or gotten the memo.

Surrendering your weapon

I searched this two or three different ways and did not find anything if it is a recent repeat please delete.

It is easy to sit here and type in a response to a post with almost a 100% this is what I would do response so lets see how this one goes.
    Please answer honestly based on your skill level and how well you think you would react under stress.

You are sitting in a fast food restaurant with your family. Your wife takes one of the kids to the bathroom and leaves you with the other at the table.

You notice a subject walk in dressed in a military field jacket even though it is warm outside which raises your SA. As your wife exits the bathroom and walks by the subject he pulls out what you see is a Smith model 60 revolver and announces this is a holdup and grabs your wife.
    Your child runs screaming to you as you stand up drawing your CC the BG now knows two things you are armed and that the hostage is related to you.

He announces all he wants is money and he will leave. A male employee attempts to grab him and is shot in the upper thigh for his trouble. He tells you this "put down your gun, give me the money and I will leave without problem" if not he will shoot his hostage.

You are face to face at a distance of 12 yards, the hammer is down on his revolver, your kids are safely behind hard cover of a metal serving counter, you are mostly concealed by an overturned table, the suspect has his back to a solid brick wall, you have the right shoulder, arm and a 1/2 to 3/4 headshot. He has given you 15 seconds to comply.

14, 13, 12,........

Please do not respond with I dont eat fast food, I am not married, I have no kids and so on. Please feel free to insert the relative or significant other of your choice into the scenario. Please exclude mother in laws.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Pistol 3, 7 and 25yds
    Rifle 10, 25, 50, 100yds

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I posted this scenario two years ago. It got a lot of responses and made some think about their training. Lets see what it does now.

It is not meant to bash those who only train at close range it is to make you think outside your comfort zone and to answer honestly based on your level of training. Remember you do not dictate the situation the bad guy does and he may not have read the stats or gotten the memo.

Surrendering your weapon

I searched this two or three different ways and did not find anything if it is a recent repeat please delete.

It is easy to sit here and type in a response to a post with almost a 100% this is what I would do response so lets see how this one goes.
    Please answer honestly based on your skill level and how well you think you would react under stress.

You are sitting in a fast food restaurant with your family. Your wife takes one of the kids to the bathroom and leaves you with the other at the table.

You notice a subject walk in dressed in a military field jacket even though it is warm outside which raises your SA. As your wife exits the bathroom and walks by the subject he pulls out what you see is a Smith model 60 revolver and announces this is a holdup and grabs your wife.
    Your child runs screaming to you as you stand up drawing your CC the BG now knows two things you are armed and that the hostage is related to you.

He announces all he wants is money and he will leave. A male employee attempts to grab him and is shot in the upper thigh for his trouble. He tells you this "put down your gun, give me the money and I will leave without problem" if not he will shoot his hostage.

You are face to face at a distance of 12 yards, the hammer is down on his revolver, your kids are safely behind hard cover of a metal serving counter, you are mostly concealed by an overturned table, the suspect has his back to a solid brick wall, you have the right shoulder, arm and a 1/2 to 3/4 headshot. He has given you 15 seconds to comply.

14, 13, 12,........

Please do not respond with I dont eat fast food, I am not married, I have no kids and so on. Please feel free to insert the relative or significant other of your choice into the scenario. Please exclude mother in laws.
    Someone that calm and calculating under those circumstances is likely a stone cold sociopath. Take the shot.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Pistols from 5 to 10 yards.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

When I teach a Defensive pistol 1 class it's P.B-15 yds,2-3 is out to 100yds,WHY?,we have seen situations where you may have to engage a threat from cover where that distance seperates you,if all you have is a sidearm,you have to take the shot.Even some Officers I've trained said they would'nt try the shot because it's a pistol,but when I show them that a pistol will hit a Steel silhouete at 100 yds consistently,it changes their minds,now it may not be a 2"group,but it will put rounds on target.Now some will say"If your a hundred yds away,you can retreat",and maybe yes,but what if you have nothing to retreat to?I don't spend but about an hour of a class doing this,I will let the students do that on their free time,it's mainly just to show them it can be done,and to take the shot if thats all they have.
    Mike1956 likes this.

From inches away up to 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605
    Remember you do not dictate the situation the bad guy does and he may not have read the stats or gotten the memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Take the shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker
    it's mainly just to show them it can be done,and to take the shot if thats all they have.
    Hard to disagree with any of this (although I'm sure there will be quite a few).

Surrendering your weapon

14, 13, 12,........

Im taking the shot. I said it then, Ill say it now....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz View Post
    it's one thing to practice at a range, it's quite another to be in an actual gun fight & need to engage someone at those distances, there's a reason defensive instructors teach their classes at reatively close distances ...
    You didn't read what I said.... and given you posted it right after mine..... " I HAVE" ..... so, don't believe it ... and good luck to ya. But if the SOB is shooting at me and coming with an inch of my head, I'm shooting back and going to be prepared to be an even better shot than he is. That IS the reason I practice at longer distances.

Have a few rounds hit next to your head a few times, and we'll see if you change your opinion ... because I'm not armchair quarter-backing.

70% of the time it will be at closer range, but watch out that the other 30% doesn't bite ya.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    3, 7, 15, yards and some 25 and 50.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I think if we move this to it's own thread the response would be better,But,my answer,Shoot the hostage!,J.K.,take the shot given,All my family know if ever grabbed from behind and Daddy is around,go limp,force the B.G to hold you up,if he/she can't hold you up hopefully it will give me time to send one through the top of their head and chase their spine as your body weight pulls them over.This is another reason I do the 1 to 1 drill,we take a paster,those familiar with IDPA will know what this is,1"square stickyto cover bullet holes in targets,you have 1 second from the buzz of the timer to place 1 shot on the paster out to varying distances from p.b-15yds.This simulates the hostage senario,with just a small amount of B.G.presenting him/her self.

Surrendering your weapon

14, 13, 12,........

I hunt pistol also s hand to hand to 100 yard pistol 50 yard out 1000 rifle
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links