At what distances do you practice? - Page 5

At what distances do you practice?

This is a discussion on At what distances do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be aware of your situation. Don't let an assailant get too close. Get the gun out, without shooting yourself. Now, if you do have to ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 84
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: At what distances do you practice?

  1. #61
    Senior Member Array theskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    878
    Be aware of your situation. Don't let an assailant get too close. Get the gun out, without shooting yourself. Now, if you do have to shoot, then the gun better go "Bang, bang, bang" and not "Bang, bang, click"


  2. #62
    Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    864
    Most of the time 20 to 25 feet.

  3. #63
    Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,707
    One to eight yards

  4. #64
    New Member Array 45tacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5
    3 to 50 feet. Closer than 3 feet becomes a Krav Maga situation.
    Doghandler likes this.

  5. #65
    Member Array jwinkeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fairfax county
    Posts
    35
    I practice at 3 yards majority of the time, I'll send it out to ten a couple of times a session but I would consider 3 yards a median distance based on what I've read, I figure the target turns to face me and I've got 2 seconds to draw my pistol and fire two accurate shots before it turns away, every month or two I try to shoot the course of fire that the local PD uses to qualify their officers, so anything from contact distance to 25 yards

  6. #66
    VIP Member Array frankmako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,884
    all most point blank out to 10 feet. point shooting, double tap, and mags dumps with reload. try to stay in real world, not what you see on tv/movies. if i going to shoot at a problem that is a long distance away,, then the pistol is not what i need to use. i would use a shotgun and/or rifle. remember shoot to stop the problem, then run away fast while calling 911.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

    Red State State of Mind

  7. #67
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,901
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    all most point blank out to 10 feet. point shooting, double tap, and mags dumps with reload. try to stay in real world, not what you see on tv/movies. if i going to shoot at a problem that is a long distance away,, then the pistol is not what i need to use. i would use a shotgun and/or rifle. remember shoot to stop the problem, then run away fast while calling 911.
    What if you don't have a rifle and/or shotgun on you?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  8. #68
    Member Array Sturmruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    170
    Bottom line is my hits inside of 10 yards are so good that don't need to practice that as much. I do most of my training from 15-25 yards which take a little more skill.

  9. #69
    Sponsor
    Array gatopardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Most of the time 20 to 25 feet.
    Same here, it forces you to put your rounds in a small area. With small pistols a bit closer as it is more difficult to put a close group.
    Go with the glow

  10. #70
    Member Array LkWd_Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lakewood JBLM vicinity
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Most of the time 20 to 25 feet.
    For defensive purposes.. I prefer 5 to 25 yards. If I am on a range that will allow me to hip-shoot, I prefer 5 to 10 yards to insure that I can follow my index finger for where I am hitting. As a study years ago determined that at 7 yards or 21 feet an aggressor can cover that distance in 1.5 seconds, getting the weapon clear of its holster and shooting is about all I am going to be able to do.
    For a bit more wiggle room, knowing I can bring my firearm into full play and hit my intended target without error at 25 yards is adequate for me.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

  11. #71
    Member Array 9mmHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    72
    I mabye a newb on this site but have been shooting for a long time. I shoot 25-50 yards why shoot closer than that, if some of you guys that shoot 3 all the way out to the great length of 10 feet have to practice to be proficcent than you must be under prepared for the real world situations.

  12. #72
    Sponsor
    Array gatopardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    I mabye a newb on this site but have been shooting for a long time. I shoot 25-50 yards why shoot closer than that, if some of you guys that shoot 3 all the way out to the great length of 10 feet have to practice to be proficcent than you must be under prepared for the real world situations.
    Not necessarily, a close range deployment is a totally different situation and there is special training available. Snub noses and small semi autos ( which are difficult at long distance) come to mind.

    The longer the distance the more necessary the sights are and the slower the target acquisition becomes, rapid fire might just spread the load in a wide area. @ short range, revolvers are more adequate and a general direction works best, so @ 5 yards or less, rapid fire is more efficient.

    I haven't been to any of this courses, I've sen videos where the instructor, for instance hits the target (a dummy ) with the revolver to create some space and then unloads the firearm on the assailant without using the gun sights at all ( a dummy ).

    Has anyone on this forum attended and could give us a better perspective on this thread?
    Go with the glow

  13. #73
    Ex Member Array ScottM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    716
    Hitting a close-range stationary target is not difficult at all on a range.

    When you are on the street:

    Sudden, surprise confrontation
    Distance so close you may have to go 'hands on' to get room to draw
    Perhaps low light
    Both you and the target moving
    Perhaps with cold or wet hands

    The variables are endless

    What I'm getting at is that in a real fight conditions won't be as 'perfect' as you find on the range (or even an IDPA match). Force-on-Force with another person is the most realistic way to train for close-range encounters.

    So practice up-close is necessary. Practice from odd positions is necessary. Practice at distance is also necessary, as you don't know what your fight may entail. We can make a semi-educated guess based on statistics. But until the weapons actually have to clear the kydex, we really don't know.

  14. #74
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,728
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Hitting a close-range stationary target is not difficult at all on a range.

    When you are on the street:

    Sudden, surprise confrontation
    Distance so close you may have to go 'hands on' to get room to draw
    Perhaps low light
    Both you and the target moving
    Perhaps with cold or wet hands

    The variables are endless

    What I'm getting at is that in a real fight conditions won't be as 'perfect' as you find on the range (or even an IDPA match). Force-on-Force with another person is the most realistic way to train for close-range encounters.

    So practice up-close is necessary. Practice from odd positions is necessary. Practice at distance is also necessary, as you don't know what your fight may entail. We can make a semi-educated guess based on statistics. But until the weapons actually have to clear the kydex, we really don't know.
    Good post. Playing stats can get you killed. A friend told me today, that some knuckle dragger will throw a monkey wrench in your stats..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  15. #75
    Ex Member Array ScottM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    A friend told me today, that some knuckle dragger will throw a monkey wrench in your stats..
    Yeah, he may not have read the latest Guns and Ammo...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

arkansas concealed carry shooting distance
,
concealed carry practice distance
,

concealed carry qualification distance

,
concealed carry shooting distance
,
concealed carry target distance
,

cwp shooting distances

,
handgun qualification distance
,
pistol qualification distance
,

sc cwp shooting distances

,

shooting distance for concealed carry

,
shooting requirements for concealed carry in tn
,

what distance should you practice with a pistol

Click on a term to search for related topics.